Life or Death help!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest talking with your band director first and asking him/her what THEY would do in the same situation? Because you'll have to deal with them and everyone else they influence when you come home. If you can secure their blessing, then you've got nothing to worry about. Plus, they would probably respect you a lot more for coming to them with the dilemma.

The fact that this bothers you shows that you know you need to do—first and foremost—what is right. And when one steps on toes, the toes usually come around to step on them.

It IS possible to have your cake and eat it, too.

I don't know how you can pass up an opportunity to march Division 1 especially when the corps director calls you personally.

What to do, have the time of your life marching in a Division 1 corps and gets trumpet lessons from some of the best instructors you'll ever get or got to BAND CAMP !!

If you can't decide then maybe you should go to band camp !! B) (sarcasm off)

By the way, if you can't make up your mind, give me the corps directors phone number and I'll see if I can take your spot !!

Edited by ODBC

I'm going to add something...

it's not as easy as it sounds. Someone has been pushing and urging me to fill the mellophone hole at ECJ. A month or two ago, I would have been all over it (provided my parents would let me,) but now I have to consistently turn it down (each time a little harder than the previous.)

When you make plans for the summer, and some of them are an obligation (meaning you spent 300+ dollars on them,) you just CAN NOT afford to march. This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but...

I spent 250 dollars on tickets for DCI in Atlanta. Non-refundable. I've put in 200 of the overall 450 for marching band this year. Also non-refundable. We have 2 hotel rooms reserved for DCI Atlanta, for 3 nights... I'm not sure how much that cost. PLUS if I take the spot now, it's no marching band at all for me this year (tour is during the two week band camp.)

Taking a spot with plans like this is utterly impossible, no matter how bad you want to march. Not to mention getting your parents to say yes after they have spent all this money (at least if your parents are like mine and dont understand drum corps.)

Saying "Why are you still sitting here, go march!" is a lot easier said than done.

~>conner

"Taking a spot with plans like this is utterly impossible, no matter how bad you want to march. Not to mention getting your parents to say yes after they have spent all this money (at least if your parents are like mine and dont understand drum corps.)

Saying "Why are you still sitting here, go march!" is a lot easier said than done."

You just answered you're own question. It is impossible , so live with it.

Unless you want all the members here to donate money to make up for money spent already,,and call you're parents up to explain the benefits of Drum Corps to them ??? :ph34r:

"Taking a spot with plans like this is utterly impossible, no matter how bad you want to march. Not to mention getting your parents to say yes after they have spent all this money (at least if your parents are like mine and dont understand drum corps.)

Saying "Why are you still sitting here, go march!" is a lot easier said than done."

You just answered you're own question. It is impossible , so live with it.

Unless you want all the members here to donate money to make up for money spent already,,and call you're parents up to explain the benefits of Drum Corps to them ??? :ph34r:

I didn't ask a question.

I was explaining that the sentiments that some people hold of "Drop everything and march drum corps," is simply not possible to some people... if anyone.

~>conner

attention all young people!!!!!!!!!!!!

through out your life you will be faced with difficult decisions....Its called learning, growing, etc etc.

A number of years ago I turned my life upside down to get back on the field. I left all my crap to my family to deal with bills, apartment, future wife. It was the hardest thing Ive ever done. But, it had to be done. All was forgivin in the end and all I can say is how did I ever skip the two years prior.

Communicate with every-one in volved, but get your butt on that field. You will regret it for ever if you dont. The regret that you will have in possibly letting down your marching band friends and teachers will last until the fall. Then youll be back to business.

FCO!!!!! is the motto, and it aint over til its over.

do the right thing no matter how hard it is to do

joeB

May I suggest talking with your band director first and asking him/her what THEY would do in the same situation? Because you'll have to deal with them and everyone else they influence when you come home.

<**> what someone else would do in a given situation is irrelevant. our lives are our own. and by the way, we all know there are selfish band directors out there that will advise you in a way that allows them to get what THEY want. go march.