Life or Death help!

That part is easier said than done, if it was that easy I would be on the bus that leaves here in an hour and a half (yes, I have checked).

ding ding ding, someone knows wht they're talking about.

and Blue Stars are marching a 72 person hornline this year, aren't they?

~>conner

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch- yeah i'm a real bad seed... (dont think you'd imply that if you knew me)

i should clarify that i advocating diplomacy as the first attempt- but if he/she gives a firm "no, you can't march corps or else..." then what may i ask would you do?

there are priorities in life... and at some point you've gotta choose from the lesser of two evils...

I never implied you were a bad seed. I simply feel that the "screw your band director and march corps" attitude is not appropriate and should be avoided. Looking out for number one is important but not at the expense of others.

I do agree with you that there are priorities in life however, in this case, where our young friend has just been appointed section leader, tried out for DM and is obviously a leader in her HS band, her priorities might be there. She has earned the respect and trust of her director and he has rewarded her with a coveted leadership position within the band. Running off to do corps with a "screw you" attitude is not the way to repay such trust. Yes, this is an amazing opportunity but sometimes we have to do what is right rather than what makes us happy. Choosing the "lessor of two evils" in this situation would, to my mind, involve honoring the committments I'd made to the band director who believed in me and trusted me with an important role in his band. At the very least, he deserves more than "I'm outta here. Deal with it."

I know what it is to march corps and I'm well aware of the sacrifices and decisions that have to be made in order to do so. If Caroline can make this work she will, indeed, have an experience to remember. However, that experience will most certainly be colored by the way in which she deals with the details of preparation.

Edited by ChicagoFan

attention all young people!!!!!!!!!!!!

through out your life you will be faced with difficult decisions....Its called learning, growing, etc etc.

A number of years ago I turned my life upside down to get back on the field. I left all my crap to my family to deal with bills, apartment, future wife. It was the hardest thing Ive ever done. But, it had to be done. All was forgivin in the end and all I can say is how did I ever skip the two years prior.

Communicate with every-one in volved, but get your butt on that field. You will regret it for ever if you dont. The regret that you will have in possibly letting down your marching band friends and teachers will last until the fall. Then youll be back to business.

FCO!!!!! is the motto, and it aint over til its over.

do the right thing no matter how hard it is to do

joeB

This guy has got a point.... Even with insurmountable odds, you can do it!

Last summer I thought my Drum Corps career was over. I had gotten married, I had an awesome steady job, was looking into college in a foreign school system, and since I am a former Canadian, I was also struggling with Immigration. However, I found options.

I had gotten down on myself and quit the corps I auditioned for and made, although they had the most AMAZING instruction and people there. I ended up going with another really awesome corps at the last minute and got my wife and family's blessing. It was the greatest summer I have ever had to date.

I know I can't age out this year, but I will never regret making that decision last summer.

(BTW, I came up with my entire tour fee and plane tickets in 36 hours. )

It IS possible, however unlikely it may seem. BUT, Make sure you are leaving on good terms with your other commitments.

March corps. It may change your life. I would hope that the other organization would understand how important this opportunity is to you and how you would love to return to help them out in the future. If they don't want you pursuing your goals, you might want to change the way you think about them.

So, Amazing, what is your status? Have you figured out a way to make it work? Are you still looking for financial help? Let us know...

So here is the most recent and probably final update on this. I was told by mom that I could go, but I have decided not to. Drum corps is something that I am definately going to do...in due time. I have already made commitments for this summer and even though I may have "permission" to break them, I can't let that many people down. My band director told me to do whatever I felt I was called to do, but this just isn't my year to be marching no matter how bad I want it. Next year will be my year and then as many years after that as possible. Like someone else on here said...I can't start burning bridges now that I may have to cross on the way back some day. I know that in the long run this is the best decision. Heck, November isn't so long to wait now is it?

Edited by AmazingTrumpeter

So here is the most recent and probably final update on this. I was told by mom that I could go, but I have decided not to. Drum corps is something that I am definately going to do...in due time. I have already made commitments for this summer and even though I may have "permission" to break them, I can't let that many people down. My band director told me to do whatever I felt I was called to do, but this just isn't my year to be marching no matter how bad I want it. Next year will be my year and then as many years after that as possible. Like someone else on here said...I can't start burning bridges now that I may have to cross on the way back some day. I know that in the long run this is the best decision. Heck, November isn't so long to wait now is it?

I applaud you for the way you handled this situation. Hopefully you'll be marching next season (as do I). Have a great summer!