New Horizon

I am updating the history of the Red Carpet Association that I wrote previously for Drum Corps World, based on some new information received from Gary Matczak. When complete, the history (including all scores and placements along with some statistical analysis) will be linked to the Erie Thunderbirds website.

I need one more piece of information - where was New Horizon from (city and state)? New Horizon competed at the last RCA Championship show 1978 in Niagara Falls. Can someone help?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from corpsreps.com:

New Horizon from Nunda/Dansville, NY founded in 1978

btw Roger, you may want to send your info to corpsreps....he's lacking a lot Allard has

How you doing Roger?

New Horizon was a merger of the Nunda, NY Rancheros and Dansville, NY White Sabers.... (from the Genesee Valley area south of Rochester.

Yes, the same Dansville White Sabers that is competing in DCA contests now...

How you doing Roger?

New Horizon was a merger of the Nunda, NY Rancheros and Dansville, NY White Sabers.... (from the Genesee Valley area south of Rochester.

Yes, the same Dansville White Sabers that is competing in DCA contests now...

Hi Tom. Life is a beach here in Boca Raton. Thanks for the information - it was the last piece of the puzzle. I recently obtained missing scores from the last RCA Championship (1978) and the one (apparent) year that RCA prelims were held (1975).

I will also send the final product to CorpsReps (thanks for the idea, Jeff).

Oh man, I've forgotten a lot from this time. and on purpose. lol

The Dansville White Sabers combined with the Phantom Rival from Dalton, NY. Phantom was a 'kinda' offshoot of the Nunda Rancheros. So you're almost right Tom. Those were the days where every town had a corps. Many of those corps were dying in the early 70's in WNY.

The WS had already competed in RCA the previous year. Doug Smith, Karl Essler and a whole bunch of others came from Phantom Rival. The New Horizon was a fun corps. Lots of talent and the director of the New Horizon was Brady Rouse.

Well, got to go. Off to camp. email me at drumcpmark@aol.com for more talk.

thanks,

Mark

Director - White Sabers

Edited by mcg155

I forgot about the name change in Nunda.... I knew Karl was involved, but of course since he's only 29 now he must have been in diapers... right Karl? Karl of course, spent many years with Crusaders - was even director for a while - and is a lawyer in Rochester...

good luck with White Sabers this year... last year was a great start...

Hi Tom. Life is a beach here in Boca Raton. Thanks for the information - it was the last piece of the puzzle. I recently obtained missing scores from the last RCA Championship (1978) and the one (apparent) year that RCA prelims were held (1975).

I will also send the final product to CorpsReps (thanks for the idea, Jeff).

CorpsReps has 73,74,77, and 78

In either 78 or 79, the White Sabers gave a stand still (or was it marking time) exihibition at the Erie Sunday afternoon show. Pretty sure of the year as our "Western Tour" was Canton, OH Saturday night and Erie Sunday afternoon. One of those years the Erie stadium was being remodeled so the show was at Edinboro U. So it was the year the show was at the usual stadium. (Now why do I remember watching from the stands instead of getting ready for retreat?)

In either 78 or 79, the White Sabers gave a stand still (or was it marking time) exihibition at the Erie Sunday afternoon show. Pretty sure of the year as our "Western Tour" was Canton, OH Saturday night and Erie Sunday afternoon. One of those years the Erie stadium was being remodeled so the show was at Edinboro U. So it was the year the show was at the usual stadium. (Now why do I remember watching from the stands instead of getting ready for retreat?)

that would be 79,.........................1978 was in Edinboro

DCA Show

Music Spectacular

16 July 1978 Edinboro, PA

1. Rochester Crusaders 72.25

2. Reading Buccaneers 70.75

3. Westshoremen 69.55

4. Guelph Royalaires 50.35

5. Chicago Connection 46.90

Exhibition: Erie Thunderbirds

DCA Show

Music Spectacular