New Horizon

Oh man, I've forgotten a lot from this time. and on purpose. lol

The Dansville White Sabers combined with the Phantom Rival from Dalton, NY. Phantom was a 'kinda' offshoot of the Nunda Rancheros. So you're almost right Tom. Those were the days where every town had a corps. Many of those corps were dying in the early 70's in WNY.

The WS had already competed in RCA the previous year. Doug Smith, Karl Essler and a whole bunch of others came from Phantom Rival. The New Horizon was a fun corps. Lots of talent and the director of the New Horizon was Brady Rouse.

Well, got to go. Off to camp. email me at drumcpmark@aol.com for more talk.

thanks,

Mark

Director - White Sabers

So.......what should we go with in the final version of my history document? New Horizon from Dansville/Dalton NY? I was going to use New Horizon from Dansville/Nunda NY based on Tom's post.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be 79,.........................1978 was in Edinboro

DCA Show

Music Spectacular

16 July 1978 Edinboro, PA

1. Rochester Crusaders 72.25

2. Reading Buccaneers 70.75

3. Westshoremen 69.55

4. Guelph Royalaires 50.35

5. Chicago Connection 46.90

Exhibition: Erie Thunderbirds

DCA Show

Music Spectacular

15 July 1979 Erie, PA

1. Buccaneers 77.55 (0.5)

2. Westshoremen 66.30 (0.4)

3. Rochester Crusaders 57.15 (0.2)

4. Erie Thunderbirds 56.80 (0.2)

5. Brass Factory 46.25 (0.3)

Exhibition: Dansville New Horizon

here is the results from the junior show held in 78 in Edinboro

Thanks for putting my memory back together Gary. Also reminded me we knocked off Reading the night before at Canton in 78 (second time ever and both in 78). We thought we would really get them in 1979 as we really improved. Surprised us as Buccs REALLY got their crap together and won DCA in 1979. Man, check the 11 point gap in scores. :sshh:

Roger, have you hit any wierdness with Hershey Chocolatiers/York White Roses in 76 (and 77?). Pretty sure they merged that year but I see all versions of the corps name in different places.

technically speaking for that year

Dansville/Dalton

Roger, have you hit any wierdness with Hershey Chocolatiers/York White Roses in 76 (and 77?). Pretty sure they merged that year but I see all versions of the corps name in different places.

Hi Jim. The York White Roses appeared in 1975 (12th place) and 1976 (9th place) at RCA. The Hershey Choclatiers never appeared at RCA.

One of the problems with reconstructing this history has been sorting out the verifiable facts from the unverifiable (I think.... I sort of remember... it probably was somewhere around that year...). What I have documented is what I was able to verify from (more or less) reliable sources.

I'll be sending my files on to Gary Matczak for posting on the Erie Thunderbirds website, and to CorpsReps, after I make one more check of all the data.

yeah that site, tho it wasnt working that night so i didnt link it

Hi Jim. The York White Roses appeared in 1975 (12th place) and 1976 (9th place) at RCA. The Hershey Choclatiers never appeared at RCA.

One of the problems with reconstructing this history has been sorting out the verifiable facts from the unverifiable (I think.... I sort of remember... it probably was somewhere around that year...). What I have documented is what I was able to verify from (more or less) reliable sources.

I'll be sending my files on to Gary Matczak for posting on the Erie Thunderbirds website, and to CorpsReps, after I make one more check of all the data.

Thanks Roger and know the feeling all too well. You find a bunch of info but no way to know if it is all accurate. And of course the last thing you want to do is pass on bad info as "fact".

Westshore competed against "that corps" :P in RCA during 1976 and possibly 1977 (my RCA years are blending together). There was a Hershey/York merger sometime during that period but there is real confusion exactly when. And I know better than to rely on what I heard announced at the shows as Westshoremen got called the WSM-Bonnis Scots a few years after "Bonnie Scots" was dropped. If I ever track down someone who was a member during that time (and has a good memory) I'll see what I can find. Asked about this on RAMD a few years ago and I'll check if anything concrete was posted.

Only reason I asked is I lived a few miles from Hershey during this time so my interest in a "next door" corps is high. :P When my first corps folded I probably would have become a Chocolatier except I found out about Westshoremen first. :rolleyes:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

yeah that site, tho it wasnt working that night so i didnt link it

Hmmm.... that must have been an internet burp. I have never known that site to have any problems.

BTW, it' s now even better. Once you get into a particular section - there is now a perfect link to that particular section that you can copy / paste. Yeah!

For example: http://diceman.home.att.net/snrhome.htm

or, say...

http://diceman.home.att.net/rcas.htm

(This was at my request... and I think it makes things a lot more convenient. Don't you?)

Thanks Roger and know the feeling all too well. You find a bunch of info but no way to know if it is all accurate. And of course the last thing you want to do is pass on bad info as "fact".

Westshore competed against "that corps" :P in RCA during 1976 and possibly 1977 (my RCA years are blending together). There was a Hershey/York merger sometime during that period but there is real confusion exactly when. And I know better than to rely on what I heard announced at the shows as Westshoremen got called the WSM-Bonnis Scots a few years after "Bonnie Scots" was dropped. If I ever track down someone who was a member during that time (and has a good memory) I'll see what I can find. Asked about this on RAMD a few years ago and I'll check if anything concrete was posted.

Only reason I asked is I lived a few miles from Hershey during this time so my interest in a "next door" corps is high. :P When my first corps folded I probably would have become a Chocolatier except I found out about Westshoremen first. :blink:

Richie Sennett was there, drop him a line

Richie Sennett was there, drop him a line

Found the RAMD posts from him and good bit was about the 1979 corps that came out for DCA. Only other name I came up with was ####(ie :P ) Adams who I never met. I should ask Rich if he's coming to Gettysburg in two weeks.