SO .. I went to DeKalb yesterday..

Well.. It was nice to be the passenger instead of the driver this weekend -- a gorgeous, picture post-card day.. the wide open spaces of lush green fields.. fluffy white clouds dotting the sky.

Seriously, this is what June is all about.

We got to NIU's Husky Stadium a little late, but just in time for a DELICIOUS BBQ supper served up by the newly re-formed Cavalier Alumni Association (hey you guys, I have slaved in that 100+ degree cook truck in my life and it is SO NICE to have a meal that someone else cooks. I think the boys liked it, too! Great food, great service.. MORE than worth the $5 price of admission.. thanks a million!). The line went slower than usual but who could blame those old coots for wanting to chat with the boys carrying on their tradition? It's genuinely heartwarming to see the CMMs and FMMs of this corps interact. I can tell you that the same boys march this corps every single year, in all eras and across all generations. I love how they can sit down together and be like.. well.. like brothers.. regardless of what year or what era they marched. Truly magical.

After supper, we gathered around the front of the cook truck and the Alumni Association held a giant raffle and giveaway. T-shirts, CDs, sweatshirts, DVDs.. and of course, lots of license plate holders!! Everybody was a winner!! Again, the generosity and appreciation shown to fans and alumni alike is always so heartwarming.

Once the pandemonium of giveaways died down, we were all invited into the stands to watch evening block ensemble rehearsal. The corps worked through the music and visual of the opener and Mvt. 2 (for those of you who are following my reports, this is the one I can't get out of my head.. It's a Wynton Marsalis piece and it's so cool. I can't remember the name Jeff used for it.. I'll have to ask next time I see them).. Guard had some work changes to add in so they worked slowly at first.. but after two runs of sections, they started to expand the workout. Ultimately, they did a full run of what they have right now, then pulled into "encore arc" and played through all the music (with the exception of the closer because they'd just gotten v2 -- of the usual 37 versions the guys say they are used to -- and it wasn't ready for public consumption. Now, I've heard these guys play stuff they didn't think was ready for "public consumption" and rest assured, when it is to their standards, it will be what WE expect the Cavaliers to play.

According to Jeff, the corps will be "eating drill sheets" over the next week or so and we should see a finished or close to finished product at Lisle on Father's Day. Now I REALLY can't wait!!

At the memorial day camp, I had talked to Jim Cassella about some of the effects and sounds they've put into the show. He had a glint in his eye when he told me that almost all the sounds they're using in the show are sounds they found by accident and "just had to include."

As usual, the visual program is full of "OH COOL" moments. My favorites so far are the guard work in the opener -- they have two moves that I think are about the coolest things ever.. I don't even know what to call them.. in one, the member holds the flag and jumps the pole.. the other is a toss from in front, between their legs and blindly over their left shoulder back to the front.. so cool.. the hornline, at the end of the opener -- it's the dumbest three count move, but I just think it's going to be SO cool (especially with their hats for the effect).. it's very aggressive. Very "Terminator" -- I'm laughing to myself as I write that because I know it doesn't come across as an "OH COOL" moment but you'll just have to trust me -- the section between the opener and Mvt 2, when some of the guard "moves" the corps around.. it's actually pretty funny and when you see the corps contract and bounce back, you'll think "well that's easy" but if it's so easy, why hasn't anyone else done it yet and why is it so cool now? :P.. and finally, the Contra Pinball..

I'm very excited about this show. The GUYS I've talked to are very excited about this show (and in my experience, it bodes well for the season when the guys are this excited this early).

I cannot WAIT for Father's Day!!!

Thank you, Cavalier Alumni Association for a great picnic and a great day. Thank you to the Cavaliers for inviting and welcoming so many of us to your rehearsal and for your hospitality. I can't think of a better way to kick off the season.

Stef

w00t!!!! I got to go on the field yesterday and hang with tha drum line!!!!! B)

The corps worked through the music and visual of the opener and Mvt. 2 (for those of you who are following my reports, this is the one I can't get out of my head.. It's a Wynton Marsalis piece and it's so cool. I can't remember the name Jeff used for it.. I'll have to ask next time I see them)..

The second movement is called "Wired" It is based on the Marsalis piece "Sweet Release". Here are the show's movement titles from Cavaliers.org:

Movement I - Genesis

Movement II - Wired

Movement III - Premonition

Movement IV - The Machine Age

The interlude (the clip they posted) comes in between movements one and two.

The show is incredibly cool. I can't wait to see the rest of the drill.

Ha! That's where I thought it would be...

Sounded kind of "now that we've covered our first major topic...let's move onto other business, shall we?"

Edited by JMS0527

Thanks for the review--can't wait to see the show. My son is marching this year and said that it's going to be a really cool show and that they all love it.

Thanks for the review--can't wait to see the show. My son is marching this year and said that it's going to be a really cool show and that they all love it.

Cool! Then I guess we'll be seeing you in Madison in August?

B)

Stef

The second movement is called "Wired" It is based on the Marsalis piece "Sweet Release". Here are the show's movement titles from Cavaliers.org:

Movement I - Genesis

Movement II - Wired

Movement III - Premonition

Movement IV - The Machine Age

The show is incredibly cool. I can't wait to see the rest of the drill.

Interesting. I have a CD of Marsalis's "Sweet Release" and figured the one part would probably be used when Cavies said they'd be using his music. Great selection!

Cool! Then I guess we'll be seeing you in Madison in August?

B)

Stef

Sure hoping so!!!