Culture of Drum Corps...

I've been thinking about the way in which we enculturate ourselves apart from others, dependant on our shared experiences, and the idea of the different ensemble cultures (some deeply embedded) occured to me.

For example, there is a very definite (at least, to me) culture to each of the following:

Wind Ensemble

Symphony Orchestra

Choral Ensemble

Jazz Ensemble

Marching Band/Drum Corps

So...since this topic is causing me great curiousity, I wonder what people's perceptions of those cultures are? For example...and I'll be general because I don't want to betray my true thoughts on this at the moment...

Wind Ensemble - Tends to play more abstract music. Musicians tend to be not as "developed" as orchestral musicians, etc.

Orchestra - Tends to be conservative in music choice, musicians are highly developed but too much "prima donna" attitude exists, etc.

Choral Ensemble - Prissy and conservative, etc.

JAzz Ensemble - Druggies, lazy, relaxed, groovy, fun, etc.

Marching Band / Drum COrps - Dorky, unpopular, militaristic, etc.

THESE ARE NOT MY OPINIONS, by the way...these are some of the cultural "attributes" I have overheard associated with those ensembles....from your own experiences, or the experiences of others, what other cultural identities can you add to those ensembles?

I find it funny that the general consesus for choral ensembles is "prissy." All the ensembles I've been in have been great fun. :bleah:

I find it funny that the general consesus for choral ensembles is "prissy." All the ensembles I've been in have been great fun. :bleah:

Well, I hardly claim that it was a general consensus...I only said these are some of the things I have overheard.

Tell me more about your experiences in the culture of choral ensembles.

I've had a variety of experiences in choral ensembles. It varies greatly depending on the type of choir it is.

If it's truely a choral society of people who want to sing together, they can be a lot of fun, less personalities.

However, when you get to professional singers who really would prefer solo work to choral work, then you get a lot of attitude and prima donna types, especially sopranos, some times tenors. Altos and basses tend to be more laid back and enjoyable.

University choirs are the same. Glee clubs are a lot more fun. A choir full of voice majors will have more personalities and prima donna's.

I also love it when sopranos have to learn a discant or harmony type part instead of singing the tune. :bleah:

Edited by shawn craig

I think more than ensemble type, instrument type is more of an indication.

In general the higher voice of any given instrument group tends to be more primma donna, high strung:

sopranos, tenors, violins, flutes/clarinets, trumpets, snares

Those who play lower instruments tend to be more laid back.

*I'm sure there are many exceptions, just in general*

In all the HS bands I worked with, flute players in general had the highest IQ's, GPA's, and test scores.

I've been thinking about the way in which we enculturate ourselves apart from others, dependant on our shared experiences, and the idea of the different ensemble cultures (some deeply embedded) occured to me.

For example, there is a very definite (at least, to me) culture to each of the following:

Wind Ensemble

Symphony Orchestra

Choral Ensemble

Jazz Ensemble

Marching Band/Drum Corps

As you often do , i am called to respond.( LOL )

So...since this topic is causing me great curiousity, I wonder what people's perceptions of those cultures are? For example...and I'll be general because I don't want to betray my true thoughts on this at the moment...

Wind Ensemble - Tends to play more abstract music. Musicians tend to be not as "developed" as orchestral musicians, etc.

To the common mass of people i think you may be correct in abstract music. Much of the material available could be seen as abstract. As far as developed as musician is concerned it varies based on the environment , ie... college , high school ,community band.My experience covers the whole range . But i understand why some perceive as they do.

Orchestra - Tends to be conservative in music choice, musicians are highly developed but too much "prima donna" attitude exists, etc.

This was my perception for years until I met Tim Adams. Tim taught corps with me , played Tympani in South Florida,Indy and now Pittsburgh Symphonies. He also plays in a Jazz Fusion band. He taught me a better appreciation for orchestra by exposing me to thinsg i had never seen or experienced.

Many i have seen are " prima donna's " as well. However , There is a major difference, as with most things, with the great choral ensembles. But most do seem to take themselves very serious. Not that serious is a bad thing.

At first this sounded like you were taking about the average rock band !! Not that I agree with that either but you are talking perceptions. My experinces is Jazzers move in a world of their own. Improv and ability to freely express the feelings thru music leads to this i believe.

Preception -- Yes --Yes -- Yes -- Yes !! usually Wrong -- Wrong --can be -- and its origin !!

In many schools the band kids are in chorus , orchestras , drama. sports making them the cross over Students. At one school that i work with 8 of the top 10 students were band kids. Most uniforms are not " cool " by todays standards. But the uniform lends this group to be a big target for some to talk down. In drama they get to dress up and act a roll. While band is exposed to the general community in a uniform at most public performances.

I think you will find a direct connection between what any of these groups wear in public adds to the perception.

Tux or Casual

Uniform or costume

Jeans or Sequins

Most of us love the " Muppets " because of how they sterotype the musicians. Long Live ANIMAL !! ( lol )

Just a few thoughts on an interesting topic to me.

Jeff

In general many base there ideas on what they see more than what they hear.

THESE ARE NOT MY OPINIONS, by the way...these are some of the cultural "attributes" I have overheard associated with those ensembles....from your own experiences, or the experiences of others, what other cultural identities can you add to those ensembles?

This reminds me of The Onion's articles about the differences between the "wad" factions and the heated rivalry between the newspaper and yearbook staffs...

All I can do is reply out of my history:

There were certain brass players who just did orchestra and concert...never marching band. Would ruin their chops and besides "you call that music?" Same with those who played strings who wouldn't also play a band instrument. These would be more academic types - or perhaps just dedicated to their specific instrument.

Band people seemed to be more generalists. They had a variety of interests. They are also the most "spirited..." - life revolves around band (or corps).

Drama people - those who did the stage-play rather than or as well as the musical - were a little bit more "avant-garde."

I was in chorus, theatre, and band in HS. My major in college was voice. But where I felt most at home was band - and I only took up the instrument in tenth grade. Then I went and marched corps one year after high school.

Also, a lot has to do with whether the groups compete or not, I imagine. Only our marching band was competitive - unlike in some bigger states, there are not very many opportunities for "stationary" organizations to compete in Pa. I think that competition or another similar demand for a high level of performance changes the attitude of your students.

In general the higher voice of any given instrument group tends to be more primma donna, high strung:

sopranos, tenors, violins, flutes/clarinets, trumpets, snares

Those who play lower instruments tend to be more laid back.

In all the HS bands I worked with, flute players in general had the highest IQ's, GPA's, and test scores.

In my experience (and from being one myself) trumpet players aren't high strung. Often lazy ( :bleah: ) or laid back, and certainly egotistical, but not really "high strung."

None of the ensembles I was in were competitive Yes, the concert/chamber choir in high school were the upper choirs, but we also had no problems mingling with members of the lower choirs at all.

The Men of Song and University Choirs were two of the "lower ensembles" at UW-Milwaukee. Now, U-Choir was one of two co-ed large ensembles that voice majors used for ensemble credits. But, it was also the main co-ed chorus that anyone on campus could sing in. The Men of Song was the only male chorus on campus. It was also the chance for the music majors to just finally relax into. You could tell that they were doing it to have fun instead of just singing for a grade to get through. ####, we drank with the director after concerts and on tour.

I think all sections have their main quirks, but you find it's not just stuck to their own members. You'll find that there are prima donnas in the basses and altos. You'll find some really goofy (or just plain drunkard) tenor.

Wind Ensemble

Symphony Orchestra

Choral Ensemble

Jazz Ensemble

Marching Band/Drum Corps

I dont know of any orchestras and such that ever practised in their underwear! Drum corps on the other hand... :P