Height and weight requirements for colorguard

Why? You're kidding yourself if you think the attractivness of the girls in those costumes is not part of "game".

Why do you suppose so many people loved SCV 2004? :blink:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of you guys have had to raise kids in the age of Teen Cosmo and bulemia, have you?

I just find this the extreme shallow end of an activity that chants the mantra "It's for the kids"

The guard of the band I teach has a variety of body types...and our visual designer makes sure each guard costume is appropriate for the individual girl...in fall and winter guard.

YES! Some winter guards especially put larger girls into spandex unis that seem to make them feel very uncomfortable. Good on your guard director for looking at the individuals and taking alittle more effort.

I see your point as far as she not getting the chance to help herself. Remember, NOT ALL corps do this. She can certainly try out for another corps who is looking for a talented individual. Yes, she will loose the weight while on tour unless she sneaks cookies & pies with her.

One of my girls on guard is a little heavy but one of the comments made by the director was, "For a heavy girl, she sure does move very well." I am not going to cut someone who is over weight if they handle the equipment. We can only suggest that they loose some weight as stated here many times to avoid injuries.

You've got to understand, that some drum corps can be very selective about who they want to represent their corps. They have that right.....that's why it's called audition. It may sound harsh to some, but if an individual has dreams of marching with a certain corps but can't because of a weight factor, then that should not stop that person. If they truly wanted to be apart of it, they WILL loose the weight. I've seen it happen too many times!

i worked a show where a judge made a similar comment. he's been banned as the staff complained

Some of you have said that tax paying institutions should not be allowed to be selective with individuals because of being over weight. Well, got news for you.....our government does it too.

Do you see any over weight gentlemen in these pictures of our U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps? Oh, that first picture is Al Chez at the 2004 DCI Finals;

dci-finals2004withAlChez.jpg

USMdrumcorps.jpg

Why do they do it? BECAUSE it's not healthy to be tremendously over weight. End of Story! Go for jog, ride your bike, do some sit-ups. Stop drinking Sodas and replace it with water! :ramd:

Why do you suppose so many people loved SCV 2004? :blink:

the drumline

Some of you have said that tax paying institutions should not be allowed to be selective with individuals because of being over weight. Well, got news for you.....our government does it too.

Why do they do it? BECAUSE it's not healthy to be tremendously over weight. End of Story! Go for jog, ride your bike, do some sit-ups. Stop drinking Sodas and replace it with water! :ramd:

Not healthy to be overweight, I agree 100%, and isn't drum corps a great place to let a kid like that get into shape. We proved it last year with a university administered study of the fitness of our kids before and after the season. To deny an out-of-shape kid the chance to march is like a doctor telling you to come back when you are not sick.

Jim

the drumline

AMEN!!!!! :lol::blink::lol: I had way more fun in the lot watching SCV's battery than I did in the stadium.

Not healthy to be overweight, I agree 100%, and isn't drum corps a great place to let a kid like that get into shape. We proved it last year with a university administered study of the fitness of our kids before and after the season. To deny an out-of-shape kid the chance to march is like a doctor telling you to come back when you are not sick.

Jim

Agreed. They CAN loose a lot of weight in drum corps and not all drum corps are picky about what a person looks like. I suggest if there are any folks out there who aren't marching because so and so drum corps cut you because of your weight, keep trying other corps. I guarantee there is a corps for you! BUT, do yourself a favor and TRY to loose SOME weight BEFORE engaging in such activity. You'll thank me later. B)

Jim

Drum corps should NOT be considered a viable option for weight loss!! It's not permanent and it's not a LIFESTYLE that can be maintained!

Don't you find it even the least bit unhealthy to replace "diet, exercise and stress management" that will last a lifetime with "three months of drum corps?"

I don't know a SINGLE kid who went off tour and back to their regular life -- even if it ISN'T sedentary -- who didn't put most or all and more of their pre-tour weight back on!!

It's not exactly good for your body to fluctuate that much so frequently. Great way to develop some gall stones.

The fitness regimen you establish in drum corps for three months is IMPOSSIBLE to maintain in the off season. The amount of activity they involve themselves in for 12+ hours a day could never be duplicated off season.. and to eat three squares and a snack (the food habit provided in all the corps I've worked with) WITHOUT that level of activity every day is just a recipe for disaster.

A kid MUST develop a healthy and active lifestyle of their own to return to FIRST. Using drum corps as a way to drop weight is no better than a fad diet. If you don't keep it up (no matter WHAT diet it is), you'll put the weight back on and then some!

Stef