First score contest

no need for name-calling bro. i've taught div. 1 corps, and while i dont claim to be an expert, i do know a little about this. if corps X is catching up to corps Y, it's because corps X is getting cleaner and sounding better at a faster rate than corps Y. maybe corps Y should focus on getting clean rather than changing the show to please the judges.

Calling you naive is not name-calling. It's simply stating that your opinions are coming off as very naive, if you don't think that the concept of peaking or maxing out doesn't apply.

name a corps? well its already been done in this thread. Cavaliers 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005....

there were "tweaks" in all of the shows, most of which were not noticeable to the regular fan. every year the ending was changed, but again, that was pre-planned. but major/significant changes? no.

no i did not teach the cavaliers.

I'm not talking about major, significant changes, either....every corps tweaks and changes stuff...not just endings, and until someone who marched those years of Cavaliers tells me that there were no changes (except to the ending) in those years, I won't buy it. Heck, I remember seeing Cavaliers in 2000 at the Rockford show, and by Finals Night, the show was different...not just the ending. No, not MAJOR chunks of the show, but that's never been what I've been talking about either.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are operating under the assumption that all corps have great show designes from the start. And that is not the case.

i guess that's what seperates the winners from the non-winners

Peaking is in fact a real thing to be dealt with.

hah! okay buddy, i wont try to change your mind.

Calling you naive is not name-calling. It's simply stating that your opinions are coming off as very naive, if you don't think that the concept of peaking or maxing out doesn't apply.

I'm not talking about major, significant changes, either....every corps tweaks and changes stuff...not just endings, and until someone who marched those years of Cavaliers tells me that there were no changes (except to the ending) in those years, I won't buy it. Heck, I remember seeing Cavaliers in 2000 at the Rockford show, and by Finals Night, the show was different...not just the ending. No, not MAJOR chunks of the show, but that's never been what I've been talking about either.

earlier in this thread, you said:

"I can't recall a Top Five corps since the days before I marched that did not change their show in some significant ways as the season progressed."

so you WERE talking about major/significant changes.

each corps out there instills some sort of mindset into their members. theres small group of corps that always have excuses for why they got 5-10 place. "our show is too complex for the regular mind to understand," or "i guess we just peaked out to early," or "we thought the new uni would really help us win this year." i think corps like the blue devils, cavaliers, and santa clara have had the success they've had becaue a long time ago, they stopped trying to act "drum corps" and just went out and did what it took to win. (that was a long sentence).

well, i was told a long time ago, excuses are like (_|_)s, everyone's got one.

nevertheless, i am out on this thread. i never wanted to change anyones mind or anything. i just wanted to offer a different persepective. but i guess on DCP, thats not allowed without some sort of arguement. if you guys want to get the last word in, be my guest.

nevertheless, i am out on this thread. i never wanted to change anyones mind or anything. i just wanted to offer a different persepective. but i guess on DCP, thats not allowed without some sort of arguement. if you guys want to get the last word in, be my guest.

Yay! I love the last word...ok, here it is:

You come across as arrogant and condescending when you tell people who have been around the activity a long time that there is no such thing as peaking and some of the other things you said. I've spoken with DCI judges who believe in "peaking," and since they are the ones doing the judging, you know what...I'm going to go ahead and trust them.

I'm no Nostradamus, but I'm going to take a guess that you marched with Cavaliers. It's coming through in your posts. But, unlike so many of the really cool and laidback Cavalier posters on DCP, you (and one other fella 'round these parts) are making it sound like every corps that doesn't have their show completely planned out in May is ####ty. I disagreed with you, and I told you that I disagreed, and yes...I did call you naive, but I don't see that as a bad thing. You simply haven't been exposed to the activity for that long (I don't consider 5-6 years long...nothing wrong with that, by the way), and if I am right about your experience with Cavaliers, then it's the only way you've really learned how to do things. There are other ways, and surprisingly, they work...after all, the Cavaliers don't win every year.

Also...I wonder...if they had made changes to the show in the recent years where they did not win, could they have won? Hmm...

Don't sweat it man...I say you're coming across as arrogant because I am intimately familiar with coming across as arrogant. You have your opinions, and I am not going to try to change them, I am just telling you that "peaking" and "maxing out" a given show does indeed happen, whether it has happened to you and your corps or not. I'm not really trying to jump down your throat, sorry it has come across that way.

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Hugs and kisses... :P

well let me ask you this, if other corps plan better than you do in the winter, should you just sit there and take it, or go hash things out/change up your show... you cant control how well other people plan.

Hmm..

So let me ask you..

How does a drum corps compete against another drum corps? Do they put their show together to "beat" another corps or do they put their show together to "hit the box" on the sheet?

You CAN control how well YOU plan.. and how well you play the game.

I'm not sayin... I'm just sayin..

Stef

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Hugs and kisses... :P

truce B)

although i am not confirming that i marched with that corps. i'd rather keep who i marched for private. (call it policy i guess)

Hmm..

So let me ask you..

How does a drum corps compete against another drum corps? Do they put their show together to "beat" another corps or do they put their show together to "hit the box" on the sheet?

You CAN control how well YOU plan.. and how well you play the game.

I'm not sayin... I'm just sayin..

Stef

yes, but you cant contol how well other corps plan. if corps X is beating you in lets say GE visual all year, you're telling me you're not going to make some changes to up your GE visual score?

yes, but you cant contol how well other corps plan. if corps X is beating you in lets say GE visual all year, you're telling me you're not going to make some changes to up your GE visual score?

I'm telling you exactly that.

You don't look at how Corps X is doing to judge your success. You can't! Unless you're both performing the exact same show, you just can't.

You look at the box you land in on the sheet.. if you're landing in box 3 consistently, then you look at what the difference is between box 3 and box 4 (or 5) and you work on THAT.. you don't base it on who is beating you and where.

Stef

I'm telling you exactly that.

You don't look at how Corps X is doing to judge your success. You can't! Unless you're both performing the exact same show, you just can't.

You look at the box you land in on the sheet.. if you're landing in box 3 consistently, then you look at what the difference is between box 3 and box 4 (or 5) and you work on THAT.. you don't base it on who is beating you and where.

Stef

haha i think we're getting at the same point but just taking different routes there... my remark was that changes were necessary to stay thrivent in competition if you were down against another corps. you're saying changes need to be made to better your corps against the sheets, eitherway changes need be made.