Being in Madison with University of Wisconsin

Just wondering if they get many members from the college marching band, or just any students from UW auditioning for the corps? How convenient that would be for camps if they did get alot of local students auditioning.

Any former Scouts alumni or current volunteers know any information on any University students involvement with the program?

I first marched Scouts when I was in h.s. (1978). Scott Beckman, who was the individual soprano champion that year, was a music major at UW. I chose UW for college my freshman year so it would be easier to march Scouts. That was 1980. There were a couple of baritones - Steve Hohenstein and Carl Jeter who were also studying at UW. Carl was drum major of the Badgers marching band. Unfortunately, I only lasted one year at UW before transferring to Chicago. I did march two more seasons with Madison (81,83).

Ray Baumgardt was involved with UW marching band, but that was before my time. Also, I believe that Jim Elvord and Scott Stewart are UW alumni.

If you consider the entire UW system, not just Madison, there are probably quite a few who do Scouts.

Edited by vferrera

In the early-mid 1970s, when the corps' membership was mostly local (c. 75%), many guys attended UW-Madison. A few guys marched in the UW marching band at that time--e.g., french horn player Dennis Drews, the jam soloist in "God Bless the Child" and featured player in many small ensembles, including "Slaughter on 10th Ave." and "Brian's Song." Jim Elvord attended UW, Scott Stewart studied at Madison Area Technical College (MATC). From my recollection, we didn't get many recruits from the UW music program--at least not during the 1971-76 period.

When I marched at Scouts, there were very very few UW-Madison students in the corps. (Like 4)

Hey Drochau,

What years did you march? I'm curious if that is the case today.

I'm not sure any corps draw much of their membership from colleges located near their "home town".

If I'm not mistaken, there were more than double the number of Texans in Madison the last couple of years as there were guys from Wisconsin.

I'm sure that's true with others. Capital Regiment is in Columbus, but I don't belive they have many of their members attending OSU.

I would guess that Spirit is the exception to the rule.

I marched 89-90 and we probably had 4 or 5 guys

from the UW. And I think the only one who

was in the UW Marching Band was Dave Chapek.

Yeah I think in the late 90's there was a handful of guys from UW. Maybe 5 or 6 guys. There were guys from the Madison area, and the state of Wisconsin that were in the corps too, but didnt attend UW.

I aged out in '04. As stated by other above, 4-5 guys from UW-Madison, 2 from UW-Whitewater, 3-4 from UW-O'Claire, I'm forgetting some. One guy from MATC (the community college in mad)

I aged out in '04. As stated by other above, 4-5 guys from UW-Madison, 2 from UW-Whitewater, 3-4 from UW-O'Claire, I'm forgetting some. One guy from MATC (the community college in mad)

Sorry to correct you, but it's "Eau Claire." :)