Phantom 06 Vids

I still find it unbelievable that we have to debate whether or not Phantom has a good hornline. Anyone should be envious to have that kind of sound in their hornline in June. It seems to me that they have a focus over there on producing a well rounded brass player, and part of that is being able to play fff and make it sound like something. If you don't like that sort of power in a brass ensemble, perhaps this activity isn't for you. There's always chamber music... :P Are there crappy hornlines in DCI? You bet. But PR is definatley not one of them.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe we're discussing the tone quality of an AMAZING brass ensemble, recorded with a crappy mike, IN JUNE. SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, ENJOY THE PHANTOM. They will probably make you wet your pants live!!!!! I'll tell you after I see them on the 30th.

Playing at very high volume levels is a skill. Unfortunately, the number of horn staffs in drum corps that recognize this and teach it is small.

Make no mistake, plenty of them get their hornlines to play loud, but they sacrifice quality to do so. My personal philosophy on brass playing is that a beautiful characteristic tone in all tessituras, dynamic levels, styles, articulations, etc. is paramount. As far as that goes, I am in complete agreement with the Cavaliers' brass program that tone quality should never be sacrificed for the sake of volume.

But I think they've only got half the equation(and this is purely from an outsider's perspective of hearing their lines and speaking with members). The nature of drum corps and the environment we perform in demands a greater dynamic range than any wind ensemble or symphony(though a symphony orchestra at full tilt is pretty #### loud) in order to achieve effect. No, tone quality should never be sacrificed for volume...but the solution is *not* to simply accept whatever limit the hornline starts out with and constantly get on them not to go past it. The solution is to work to achieve the full dynamic range with great tone quality. Personally, I feel that the lack of that "extra gear" dynamically is one of the reasons the Cavaliers are unable to achieve the kind of emotional effect that Regiment does and are limited to appealing to the audience on an intellectual and "gee that's neat" level.

This is one area where I think BD's approach to brass playing is superior, because they are constantly working on expanding their sound while maintaining tone quality. Constantly pushing up against the "line" and moving it further out. They also work articulation, slurring and all the other fundamental elements of brass playing at the very top of their volume, which is an element that is definitely missing from many corps approach. I would put Phantom in that category...they can sound absolutely gorgeous at fourteen Fs on one note, but quite frequently when they articulate or start moving pitches around, the tone quality suffers.

Playing well at high volumes requires more than just moving huge quantities of air, which is all most hornlines work on in relation to high dynamic levels. The facial muscles have to be developed to the point where they can resist that quantity of air without the aperture distorting. That requires careful, gradual training...always pushing the line, but never accepting poor tone quality as a matter of course. And of course working articulations, slurring, flexibility, etc. in that top dynamic range.

Obviously, it's all completely subjective (what the heck is passion, anyway?),

I love it.

Excellent post, Alan. I would only add that context matters. It's an outdoor activity that is, at least in part, based on producing very large volumes of sound. Too loud? Also, it's not like they're playing Take Me Out to the Ballgame (okay, that comment may have been unnecessary :P ). The Prokofiev and Corigliano pieces dictate an aggressive approach to brass playing. That's not to excuse bad technique, but it doesn't necessarily make Regiment's approach to sound production wrong, either.

Michael Oldemeyer

....but alas, why would a corps post a clip of their most exciting parts and blow any sort of excitement to see them. and This was not an official posting from the Regiment Organization.

If you look at the comments posted under the "Canon" file...(Canon : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxlBHvOEcwc) you will see the following post: "I'm pretty positice it's the Canon... seeing as how the score we got when we were conducing said "Canon" on it."

I recall in Pat Seidling's camp report, he mentioned how the drum major camp attendees had the chance to conduct Canon in front of the corps...and being how the conductor seemed kinda female in this picture (an there are not female conducters this year), this likely means one of these campers took the video and posted here on YouTube for us to see. Although I appreciate the video footage, these videos are likely not endorsed and released by the corps in an officical capacity.

(I just realized how pathetic I am to be able to put this together.)

This is why Regiment doesn't post pre-season clips. The staff are aware of these boards, which tend to unleash every type of bashing possible for all Drum Corps. I appreciate the clips because I'm curious just like everyone else, and I'm sure that the poster had no intention of bashing Regiment. However, I wish this was never posted for the member's sake.

Just my humble opinion.

Later dudes!

Edited by N2CORPS

Can't wait to see what PR puts out by August. I really think (from what I've seen pre-season, not a great basis to go by) that SCV, Phantom, and Bluecoats are all going to be not only great shows, but great competition for eachother.

Definitely adding Phantom to the list of shows i am excited to see....