Class Separation in Regular Season

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the Rockmart show is the DCA South Championship this year.

Exxxxxxcellent! This regional championship is just the type of thing I was thinking of!

Is there a show that is designated as a DCA Central Championship?

Not that I'm aware of. (But, with only two shows currently in DCA Central anyway...) Amber? Is there any plan for this?

It would be difficult to have a DCA Northeast Championship without a DCA NE organization.

DCA North Atlantic... MAKE IT HAPPEN!

this may offend a few, but i am still baffled at how some of the top A corps always score lower than some of the lower open corps. it seems to me that size contributes to score, even if noticeable gaps in quality are evident

The dreaded "small-corps stigma" in full force...

Here's a theory: The lower end of the Open Class spectrum may not truly be better than the upper end of the Class A corps, but it's easier to hide dirt amongst larger numbers. With less members, the individual performances of the Class A corps members is under that much more scrutiny. Hence, more mistakes are noticed.

For example: At our first parade this year in Morristown, Chops was missing one contra, two baritones, and four mellophones due to a few prior commitments and a lot of car trouble. If we were the size of, say, Minnesota Brass, this wouldn't phase us at all. But, due to our size, this equates to half the contra section missing, 2/3 of the baritones missing, and 4/5 of the mellophones missing. That's a heckuva lot of holes for a hornline in which individuals aready have a lot of exposure. And, had we been seriously judged, that's a lot of pressure on the one person remaining in each of those sections... (Thankfully, we had some staff willing to jump up and step in to the parade!)

Edited by CallipygianKing

If I'm not mistaken, starting last year, DCA South had Open Class, Class A and Class A35 at their shows.

What is the A35 class? An equivalent to mini-corps?

I don't remember the specifics, (Vic Kulinski would be the authority on this as the DCA South Coordinator, or someone (Tom?) from Shenendoah Sound since they are the current DCA South A-35 Champions), but Class A-35 is for corps with 35 members or less. They had some other rules like their entire show had to be between the 35's and in front of the back hash or something like that.

Charlie

I'm pretty sure minicorps is a different animal.

Edited by davidp

Talk to Vic on that one. All I know is that Shenandoah won the A-35 championship in DCA-South and we were the only one in that division. I took it somewhat like an insult to this corps to be the only competiting corps and win this "championship" for "A-35". However, what the higher ups in DCA-South do is their business. And yes, Tom is our corps director's name.

Talk to Vic on that one. All I know is that Shenandoah won the A-35 championship in DCA-South and we were the only one in that division. I took it somewhat like an insult to this corps to be the only competiting corps and win this "championship" for "A-35". However, what the higher ups in DCA-South do is their business. And yes, Tom is our corps director's name.

Well, then... I can see where this may be a smart thing to try and attract more smaller corps, but for an entire division to be created for just one small corps in a circuit that's probably too small to be fragmented further seems kind of ridiculous.

But, kudos on splitting Open and A for the regional championship...

Exxxxxxcellent! This regional championship is just the type of thing I was thinking of!

Not that I'm aware of. (But, with only two shows currently in DCA Central anyway...) Amber? Is there any plan for this?

DCA North Atlantic... MAKE IT HAPPEN!

The membership had decided to not have a championship this year. Perhaps in the very near future.

Edited by Govie Goddess

The dreaded "small-corps stigma" in full force...

Here's a theory: The lower end of the Open Class spectrum may not truly be better than the upper end of the Class A corps, but it's easier to hide dirt amongst larger numbers. With less members, the individual performances of the Class A corps members is under that much more scrutiny. Hence, more mistakes are noticed.

For example: At our first parade this year in Morristown, Chops was missing one contra, two baritones, and four mellophones due to a few prior commitments and a lot of car trouble. If we were the size of, say, Minnesota Brass, this wouldn't phase us at all. But, due to our size, this equates to half the contra section missing, 2/3 of the baritones missing, and 4/5 of the mellophones missing. That's a heckuva lot of holes for a hornline in which individuals aready have a lot of exposure. And, had we been seriously judged, that's a lot of pressure on the one person remaining in each of those sections... (Thankfully, we had some staff willing to jump up and step in to the parade!)

and this is where DCI actually does something right in regards to D2/3.....seperate sheets.