Atlanta Roll Call & Questions

I work right next to the Dome and from what I have heard tickets are selling pretty well for this event at this stage in the game.

Parking is very close by and pretty cheap by city standards....$10 for the deck, $8 for lots. Ignore any lots run by individuals that may be charging more than this. Private message me if you want directions to the deck or lots closest to the Dome.

The GA Aquarium is definitly a must see and is within walking distance to the GA Dome and the Olympic Park is right there as well and a great place to sit and relax for a bit. Underground Atlanta is a hike from this area as another poster mentioned and I wouldn't waste my time there. The shops aren't that great and much of the nightlife there is struggling big time. If you are into shopping, try Lenox Mall or Atlantic Station...but very great shopping places.

The tour of the CNN Center is pretty interesting and is right by the Dome. There are some interesting museums like the High Museum of Art and the Fox Theater will be showing "Mama Mia" if you are into broadway shows. There is pretty good night life as well depending on your tastes.

Atlanta has a great selection of restaurants depending on your tastes and how much you want to spend. The Varsity is an Atlanta classic...but its very greasy burgers, dogs and fries and not within walking distance to the Dome.

I recommend staying in the Midtown Atlanta area as this is a nicer than Downtown with nice hotels a huge restaurant selection and access to MARTA which is the subway in Atlanta that takes you right to the Dome. Piedmont Park is also in Midtown and is very beautiful and crowded on the weekends...great place to check out if you stay through Sunday.

If anyone has any specific questions on restaurants, hotels, things to do....don't hesitate to send me a private message!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the eating, there's a lot of great stuff up in Buckhead. Dante's is to die for, but it's pretty pricey. The live jazz is awesome. B)

Anyone who stays in Atlanta:

What is the stop on MARTA that takes you to the dome? How late does MARTA run?

How far away is it from the Airport Hilton?

I found out that the show in Atlanta happens right when I'll be there for the weekend, but I probably won't have access to a car.

Anyone who stays in Atlanta:

What is the stop on MARTA that takes you to the dome? How late does MARTA run?

How far away is it from the Airport Hilton?

I found out that the show in Atlanta happens right when I'll be there for the weekend, but I probably won't have access to a car.

Marta Rail Map

I'm pretty sure the trains run 24 hours. The Dome has it's own station.

Marta its Smarta. :)

Ok 1 thread just made me homesick as heck!! Can't wait to come home in July!!! Just in time for the JSU show!!!

I definately recommend the CNN tour. Very cool if you've never been on it. Lots of resturants there too. Jocks and Jills is alot of fun. There are a bunch of hotels around there. Embassey Suites and Omni are 2 that I can think of that are right there but might be pricey. There are some that are a little cheaper near Georgia Tech and close to Marta which takes you to the dome as well.

The Varsity is a big land mark. A chili Cheese Dog with onion rings and a Frosted Orange is total heaven for me . . . throw in some rolaids too . . LOL

Have some Chickfila for me. . . :)

Marta its Smarta. :)

Ok 1 thread just made me homesick as heck!! Can't wait to come home in July!!! Just in time for the JSU show!!!

I definately recommend the CNN tour. Very cool if you've never been on it. Lots of resturants there too. Jocks and Jills is alot of fun. There are a bunch of hotels around there. Embassey Suites and Omni are 2 that I can think of that are right there but might be pricey. There are some that are a little cheaper near Georgia Tech and close to Marta which takes you to the dome as well.

The Varsity is a big land mark. A chili Cheese Dog with onion rings and a Frosted Orange is total heaven for me . . . throw in some rolaids too . . LOL

Have some Chickfila for me. . . :)

And should you REALLY need a rolaid, there's a convenience store across the street from the Varsity.

I'll be there as well...but gotta know...how bad are the acoustics really gonna be???

Marta Rail Map

I'm pretty sure the trains run 24 hours. The Dome has it's own station.

MARTA does NOT run 24 hrs. The last train leaves the airport and heads north @ 12:30.

The Dome has it's own stop. If you are on the North/South Line (most common) you will need to get off at the 5 points station and get on the East/West Line to the GA Dome & GWCC (GA Wolrd Congress Center). MARTA is pretty easy to understand where to go and what is where. 9 times out of 10, the PA system will tell you what station you're at and what attractions are where.

As far as WHERE to stay. I would definitely stay in Midtown or Buckhead or Atlantic Station over Downtown. Anything on Peachtree or West Peachtree btwn 8th and 18th would be good. There is a MARTA station @ 14th & P'Tree. I would also try and stay AWAY from the GA Tech campus and Techwood. And I am not saying being a Gerogia Alum - it's just really sketchy there. Anyone would tell you that. Anything NORTH of 16th St. on the west side of the Connector (where 75 & 85 are merged) would be good. That area ia Atlantic Station. Very new, very treny, very young area. Anything North of Atlantic Station and south of Lenox is Buckhead. Lots of places to stay there. Will be LOTS more traffic though. I would stay away from having to drive on GA 400. It's always congested. Plus you'd be getting too far away. If you can stay anywhere near a MARTA stop then you're good to go. Even at rush hour, MARTA is pretty fast. Atlanta is definitely not a "see it by foot" kinda city. MARTA can get you to some places and close to others. It's definitely a car city. Conversely, there are few palces to park once you get away from the main attractions like Atlantic Station and the Dome and malls. There is TONS of parking near the Dome though - and cheap.

Things to do while in-town. Aquarium, CNN Tour, Centennial Olympic Park, IKEA, Stone Mountain (about 15 miles due eat but cool to see), & World of Coke. Places like Lenox, Phipps, and Atlantic Station all have REALLY nice shopping and restaurants.

Atlanta has TONS of places to eat. Use www.citysearch.com to find what you're looking for.

If you want to ask any specific questions, feel free to PM me or Email me: SeanOwenSullivan@yahoo.com

Cheers, :worthy:

Sean

w/Stp:

Edited by SeanOwenSullivan

I'll be there as well...but gotta know...how bad are the acoustics really gonna be???

Obviously never seen a corps show there but have seen several marching and shows and it wasn't THAT bad IMO. There are these large flags that are up everytime I've seen a musical show there that do well to absorb most of the bad acoustics.

It was either the Dome or Ga Tech's football stadium which is so tiny since their football team isn't very good. :P GO DAWGS!

Cheers, :worthy:

Sean

w/Stp: