Slightly OT: Our National Anthem

Ever been in The Military? Just curious if the majority of US Veterans would choose to lose SSB in favor of America The Beautiful.

That last part of the last line........"Land of The Free and The Home Of The Brave?"

It's a lot more than just a catch phrase welded onto the chassis of an old English drinking tune.

Not too far off topic, but would it seem right too officially replace "Scotland The Brave" as a national anthem with "Flower Of Scotland?" Both get sung and both are now part of the canon of music of Scotland. I like both and both have their respective place....interestingly enough, both are considered ample representations of Scottish pride.

"America" and "God Save The Queen?" Same tune. Many examples exist.

BTW: America The Beautiful has reference to a Creator. Wanna dump it because it mentions God and could possibly offend somebody?

Not picking any fights, just reflecting:

You make some good points (and you make them well...the other gentleman in this thread could probably pick up some tactical hints from you, my friend), but I would counter with this:

Neither "Scotland the Brave" nor "Flower of Scotland" are official Scottish anthems...they are unofficial. The official anthem of Scotland is, indeed, "God Save the Queen," which as you and I both pointed out, is also the melody for "America," which is sometimes better known as"My Country Tis of Thee."

As for the Star Spangled Banner...no doubt the anthem of our country is never going to change...even though the SSB didn't become our official anthem until 1931. And I completely understand the sentimental value the anthem has for many. I sing it (and sing it well, if I say so myself) whenever it is required of me to sing, and I will always sing it, being proud to be an American.

HOWEVER

I exercise my American right to a dissenting opinion...and the fact is, I simply don't like the tune. I have no quarrel with the lyrics, I think Key's poem is a great one. But Stafford Smith's setting of the music simply leaves me cold. I apologise if it offends anyone, but...well...there it is.

I have to thank you, though, because you've shown how people can disagree and be agreeable...lessons that others should learn. Thank you.

P.S. One more thing....if we're going to dump a national anthem because of references to God, then anyone who is offended by that should send me all their money...after all, I wouldn't want them to be offended by the religious phrases to be found on cold hard cash. Hey, I'm here to help. :)

Edited by The Tsar

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when there was a time when "Tsar" would have gotten a swift a@@ wooping for this. Isn't it nicer now? ^0^

Cute.

###-wooping for what? for not liking the anthem? by who?

this is a discussion board. not an "everyone agrees with me" board. you dig?

is your patriotism really so thin that something like that offends you?

I'm a proud American, too, and I've played the national anthem, a lot. the best i've ever heard it played was when I heard the Israeli Philharmonic play it at a symphony concert. #### near made me cry. it was glorious. it reminded me how moving it can be when played well.

being an American means freedom for everyone, right? including others?

i don't personally agree with Nikk on this--but your post in reply to his is silly. and he has a right to his opinion. why not try backing yours up with something other than a swift ### wooping, and raise the level of discourse.

<edited for filter circumvention -KM>

While I think the National Anthem is a beautiful piece of music, unfortunately it is a piece of music that probably less than 5% of the American population can sing very well. How many times have we cringed at a basketball/football/soccer/baseball/drum corps/marching band/ type event when someone has "attempted" to sing this song.

The music and lyrics may be inspiring, but only until it sounds like someone running their nails over a chalkboard, then it is just sad.

While I think the National Anthem is a beautiful piece of music, unfortunately it is a piece of music that probably less than 5% of the American population can sing very well. How many times have we cringed at a basketball/football/soccer/baseball/drum corps/marching band/ type event when someone has "attempted" to sing this song.

The music and lyrics may be inspiring, but only until it sounds like someone running their nails over a chalkboard, then it is just sad.

Roseanne??

Roseanne??

Oh man, she hasn't been the only one to butcher it...was it Carl Lewis that also gave it a screeching "go" some years ago?

And what about all those "jazzed" up or "hip hop" versions we've heard over the years?

I will agree with Chris on one point...when played well, particularly in an instrumental setting, it can come across very powerfully. But I've never heard anyone *sing* it powerfully enough to move me. Not even Whitney Houston's "Is it live or is it memorex?" performance in the Super Bowl back in 1991. I've heard some powerful renditions of the anthem played by symphony orchestras. Heck, I even like the Jimi Hendrix treatment, if only because it is an expression of the freedoms we enjoy.

A note from your friendly moderator: (that'd be me)

Let's all put a lid on circumventing the filters.... they're here for a reason, and we're just gonna come edit your posts anyhow.

Thanks!

~K

I think I've got it - a new National Anthem:

Sister Andrea by the Mahavishnu Orchestra!

It's just so...compelling........intense.........complicated.........deep..........other worldly............cosmic..........the solution!

Or maybe Birds of Fire..........can't decide............

:)

A note from your friendly moderator: (that'd be me)

Let's all put a lid on circumventing the filters.... they're here for a reason, and we're just gonna come edit your posts anyhow.

Thanks!

~K

I'd just like to take the time to point out how ### ###### #### ###### ###### ###### silly it is to censor words when 99.9% of the population knows that "####" means "something naughty." It's the same #### ####### ###### effect. ^0^

as my high school gov't teacher used to say.....

1- I just work here

and

2- I don't make the rules, I just enforce 'em.

as my high school gov't teacher used to say.....

1- I just work here

and

2- I don't make the rules, I just enforce 'em.

I know, I know....just giving you (and through you, the powers-that-be) a hard time on an issue I've often disagreed with.

But hey, that's just me being an #######. :P