Slightly OT: Our National Anthem

Man, I hate it.

The music is just not good. And I'm sitting here watching the world cup and seeing other countries ALL get into the singing of their anthems, and our fans and players are like...eh....

I wish our anthem was America the Beautiful instead. It's simply better music.

Go ahead, flame away...

How does this relate to drum corps....well....AtB would be a lot better in retreat than SSB + OC.

^0^

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^0^ You are going to lose the game, too..... ^0^

I love our Anthem, and I sing it proudly every time its played. And when possible, I sing the whole thing. Every verse.

^0^ You are going to lose the game, too..... ^0^

Not if Italy keeps scoring on the wrong net.....

I love our Anthem, and I sing it proudly every time its played. And when possible, I sing the whole thing. Every verse.

Bully for you. ^0^

I sing it too...but that doesn't mean I still don't dislike it.

The music for the anthem = crap.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the sentiment of the anthem...but let's not kid ourselves, the music is awful. America the Beautiful is not only better music, but it is easier to sing for the "common" everyday American.

And while we're at it...I always thought that the old Soviet Union anthem was the best anthem around, from a musical perspective. For all I know, the lyrics could have said "Badgers are nice to eat, though you must be quite discreet." :P

The music for the anthem = crap.

*shrug*

Maybe not as musically great as America the Beautiful, but I don't think its crap.

Amen!

America the Beautiful is a better piece of music, but the lyrics are trite.

I like the fact that the SSB commemorates a pivotal event in American History and the fact that it was written by a relative of one of the greatest novelists of all time.

That may be so...but I don't like the fact that the music to our AMERICAN national anthem is from an old BRITISH drinking song. At least "America the Beautiful" has an original melody, unlike SSB (or "My Country Tis of Thee / America" for that matter). Especially an old British song that is basically a drinking song.

And I don't know that I consider the bombing of Ft. McHenry a truly "pivotal" moment in American history. Sure, it has significance, but...the tide of the War of 1812 didn't hinge on the outcome of that night.

That may be so...but I don't like the fact that the music to our AMERICAN national anthem is from an old BRITISH drinking song. At least "America the Beautiful" has an original melody, unlike SSB (or "My Country Tis of Thee / America" for that matter). Especially an old British song that is basically a drinking song.
Well, from the history that I've read (being a history minor helps as well), borrowing a songs melody was quite a common practice in America's early days...
In the early 1800's musical instruments and performances were not common in America. Music was generally imported from Europe, and popular tunes were frequently re-used as foundations for other lyrics. As an example, Maryland's state song, "Maryland, My Maryland" can be recognized as the German tune, "O Tannenbaum" (Oh Christmas Tree). Francis Scott Key used this ["To Anacreon in Heaven"] English drinking song to set the meter of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/anacreon.html

And I don't know that I consider the bombing of Ft. McHenry a truly "pivotal" moment in American history. Sure, it has significance, but...the tide of the War of 1812 didn't hinge on the outcome of that night.
I think this just about sums it up...
"Then, in that hour of deliverance, my heart spoke. Does not such a country, and such defenders of their country, deserve a song?"

Francis Scott Key

Edited by skajerk