Thoughts on Hayward

Was actually a warm to hot day in the bay area. I like the stadium but the sun hits your face until about 8pm. The field is terrible. make BD's practice (Mars) look good. Didn't see River City.

SF Renegades...look smaller that in past years. Not the volume like i've heard before. Good show but was lookin for my face to peal from their hornline.

Fever..Small. Competing in div. 3. Only did about half of their show. Drums are the strengh.

BDC..cute. But the field played into a terrible accident. One kid fell down while marching backwards and about three others fell on him. He was hurt and had to be carried off the field.

BDB..Big and strong. These guys can medal in Madison in div. 2.

SCCadets..Better than last year.

Manderins..New unis. Like them. Same old Manderins. Good but can't seem to break into the next level. If they make semis, that would be a great year for them.

BD..Love the unis. The stripes stand out. The new drums look nothing like in the picture. What can i say. They're good...very good. Lots of dirt in the show but once cleaned...the show can win. I can see ad ons and a new ending in the future. Everything works.

SCV..better than i was thinking. I don't think it will compete for a title but this is a good show. This show is not your aggressive SCV type..has a softer feel to them.

Edited by afd

I was in the 2nd row from the field directly in front of that train wreck (which was about five yards in from the sideline) in BDC's show. I was about ready to jump out of my seat when I saw the 2nd kid step on and then fall on the poor kid........... All I can say is that I saw the brass judge (my guess) pick the kid up and brought him to the sideline where a parent that had gone out to the field took over and brought him over the track towards the stands right in front of me, he was hurtin'......... Hope he's ok now....

BD's show is awesome. Once and for all: THE UNIFORMS WORK! End of story. There's a lot of room for tweaks in the drill for sure. The hornline was H-O-T......... Guard work was great, but not finished. Can't wait for the rest of that. Loved the guard integrated into the drill for all three D1 corps.......... Battery was tight. The front ensemble solo/accelerando in the opener was ON. This show will put them in the running.............

SCV's show was different for SCV and I like it alot. Their m&m was much better than in recent seasons........ You'll have to see the show for yourselves, but I think they'll be gunning for a spot in the top 5.

Mandarins new uniforms are a cool mix of modern with a nod to their traditional uni's of years past. They opened with Egyptian Danza by Al DiMeola, and the only reason I kind of remember it is because my high school drumline played it as their drum solo. Back in 82 (yeah, I'm old......). What impressed me the most was the battery. They were ramming a boat load of notes, in a good way.

I had baby duty during BDB but I was able to catch bits of their show from up top. This was the largest BDB corps I could remember. They were loud and they marched well for the 30 seconds that I saw them.

There was a pretty big intermission, so I helped the misses pack all the gear and walked her and the baby to her car so they could both get home... Got back in time to catch SCVC's closer, the battery stood out the most to me.

BDC had a few wee ones, but for the most part they're a couple of years older than way back when..... The battery was much more accomplished than previous C corps I can remember, and the hornline was a bit more mature too....... They're always tooooooo cute...... Maybe my daughter will be there soon...........

Fever was smaller than I am used to. Never really got a chance to see them much in past years due to performing before them most of the time. Their drumline carried them very well. A few areas of dirt to work on like all the corps in tonights performance.....

"BDC..cute. But the field played into a terrible accident. One kid fell down while marching backwards and about three others fell on him. He was hurt and had to be carried off the field."

* yea, that happened to be my youngest son Casey (11)... he ended up as a human speed bump for 3 other horn players. :worthy:

Big thanks to the judge who scooped him up and carried him to the front side line.

He has a cut to the back of the ankle and we dusted off some 'tread marks' on his pants otherwise he is just

fine.

"BDC had a few wee ones, but for the most part they're a couple of years older than way back when....."

* I believe my oldest son Cameron, the Drum Major, is the oldest member at 15.

*see ya'll in Modesto CA tonight!

"yea, that happened to be my youngest son Casey (11)... he ended up as a human speed bump for 3 other horn players. :worthy:

Big thanks to the judge who scooped him up and carried him to the front side line.

He has a cut to the back of the ankle and we dusted off some 'tread marks' on his pants otherwise he is just

fine.

Glad to hear that, sorry to hear it happened at all. Please tell him we all wish him well.

Jim

BDC..cute. But the field played into a terrible accident. One kid fell down while marching backwards and about three others fell on him. He was hurt and had to be carried off the field.

Oh, man :(

I'm also very glad to hear Casey's okay. :)

He's got a full decade of marching ahead of him, it's too soon to be injured now!

I'm also very glad to hear Casey's okay. :)

He's got a full decade of marching ahead of him, it's too soon to be injured now!

Thanks for the reviews. Sorry to hear about the crash.

Thanks, BD, for giving these younger performers the chance!!!

I was at the show too.First off, kudos to the entire Blue Devils organization! Strong from top to bottom!

BDB is SERIOUS this year! Wow! Their drill and musicianship rival some Div. I corps.

SCV Cadets - always a very difficult show, and kudos to them on opening night for performing it so well.

Blue Devils - I've heard some talk that some don't like this show. Well I LOVE IT! Wow! And they were (comparitively) so clean! Wow! Lots of visuals already added to the hornline and drumline, and the guard was ready to start the season.

SCV - I LOVE the music and the drill!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!! But...it's dirty as heck right now in all sections. This show is very "Cavalier-esque" to me, and all I can say is it's about d#^$ time! I like this music better than the original compositions for the Cavaliers this decade though.