This brief review is, from a horn players perspective...

Sky- 22b , 5 snares, 2 quads, 4 bass, 10-13 in guard, Much better blend than last year at this time, perc much improved> If they fill out low brass spots will have a real nice sound. Opener a departure from typical SKY sound. Most musical SKY hornline in years. Awesomw Mellophone soloist... neat take on Bohemian Rhapsody... drill unfinished

Hurcs- 32 B, nice sized battery and guard. ... Brass line putting out lots of sound for first show... could turn out to be an excellent guard. JC Superstar music is enjoyable. Screaming Sop Soloist (this guy's been there for years). Nailed everything. About 7 horns sat out half the show. When balance/intonation issues get settled could move up in DCA Standings... drill work in progress...

Bucs- No other DCA corps attempts what these guys do visually. PERC would challenge upper eschelon DCI lines.... Seemed better prepared last year at this show, but will still be in the hunt for the TOP. At times perc overshadowed Brass- maybe because of indoor setting. Guard marched whole show, and I believe did work for all as well.. al ittle smaller brass -wise (49 still good sized). Sops seemed a little tired (only 12 makes it tough)...Low brass really resonates...

Empire- 50 + brass Came out very confident... This show will challenge for the top. Perc amazingly clean for first show. well prepared guard. Pero's jazz lickks in ballad were awesome... most powerful overall brass sound of the night.... can see this show getting more exciting each week...

Cabs- Holy Sh***. 60 + brass...One of the best lead sop lines I've heard in years- plus really playing some difficult licks... Their Contras were only one's that had an impact tonight....Drumline had most impressive perc feature of the evening.... show seemed like it flew by ( a good thing) ... Cabs are in the Hunt!

Surf- Most polished Surf crew yet... loved the ballad..... should scare some of the DII powers this year... probably the most musical I've ever heard their hornline... 53+ brass, 25 + guard.... by August should be dynamite!!

Cabs Alumni- Really Cookin' Perc - old school clean as a whistle... . Brass excellent blend... no typical alumni overblowing here.... Ponzo's solo's were awesome... really like the new Mac Park.....

Great night of Drum Corps...show was well attended!!

Rcc

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review. I just ordered my finals tickets a few minutes ago - can't wait! This will be the first finals I've attended since 82. ^OO^

Jim

Saturday night was a blast, I can't wait till we get outside so we don't have to hold back! Congrats to Buccs and Empire. I like chasing rather than being chased, lol. Can't wait to see Bush and Briggs! It's gonna be a great year for DCA.

Nice weekend.... great start to the DCA season!

Next DCA stop for me: Dover, NJ, July 1.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Nice weekend.... great start to the DCA season!

Next DCA stop for me: Dover, NJ, July 1.

Fran

Fran.....great to see you (who could miss you in THAT shirt) and Barb. Great job as always and what a fantastic show. Enjoy Dover on the onc't, I'm at Barnum......on the road again...

Jim C

Saturday night was a blast, I can't wait till we get outside so we don't have to hold back! Congrats to Buccs and Empire. I like chasing rather than being chased, lol. Can't wait to see Bush and Briggs! It's gonna be a great year for DCA.

What!!!!

That's it Sean - IT IS OVER!!!! You are no longer my Straight Boyfriend.

What? You can't wait to see the Renegades? I'm deeply hurt. Crushed.

I'll see you at finals buddy, Back in Black Baby!

---------------------------------

Disclaimer:::: This is a joke!! sort of :worthy: Sounds like there will be some great competition this year and I'm really hoping to get a spot with the Renegades and be right in the thick of it. And I think I'm about to go into California stealth mode and to refuse to watch any of youse all season long.

Sean, you guys sounded great at Harrisburg, good to hear you're kicking it still!

Edited by SaraNYC

What the heck.... to take my mind off the spectacle of watching Phil Mickelson blow the U.S. Open on the final hole (it really hurt to watch him, and Colin Montgomerie, melt down on No. 18), a few more thoughts on the Wildwood show/weekend:

Great weather! Gave all the corps a chance for a good day of rehearsal on Saturday.

The winners of the "What A Difference A Year Makes" award:

1) Caballeros. Last year... barely there. This year.... back in the game, big-time. The Cabs continue their habit of coming back strong after a "down" year.

1A) Hurricanes. Last year... not there at all (they pulled out of the Wildwood show....not ready). This year, bigger, better corps, and a very cool show that has the potential to be one of DCA's biggest hits this summer.

Vince Bruni would be proud of his Empire Statesmen. In true Statesmen tradition, a highly entertaining, mass-appeal show, strong in all captions. Once again, the Statesmen's product is more like an entertainment event to me, rather than "just a drum corps show."

The Buccaneers have all the ingredients in place to defend their DCA title, no doubt about it. Another corps that is very strong across the board. Big, confident sound for so early in the season, and lots of energy.

NY Skyliners were more prepared for the season opener this year than in recent memory. A small but strong hornline.... who is that mellophone soloist? She's a great player! Also, a solid drumline.

Jersey Surf and Caballeros Alumni: Two class acts in exhibition to round out the show.

Bottom line: GAME ON! This should be a very interesting summer for DCA.

Fran

Fran, it was a blast to chat with you and Barbara before the show. You add so much to our contests (and I'm not referring to your fashion sense!) and it's a pleasure to share stories with you.

Thanks for the compliments about the show!

Sara? What did I say? Oh are you mad cause I didn't bring up corps from the west and south? Believe me I am a big Renegade fan and The MBI have been tearring it up for a while now. I was just refering to corps we will see weekly. I hope you get to march with the Renegades, that would be awesome. But I'd still love to see you in Bell Bottoms one day!