Three Years Already?

Back in 1992 or 1993 (forget which) I came to the conclusion that Drum Corps had passed me by after following it for close to 20 years. Realized during a show that my life had changed so much that I really had more important things to do than sit on my butt in a stadium. Especially watching a show with music I didn't "get" or want to "get". End result was I walked out while a corps was doing its' show and that... was... that......

Fast forward to June 2003 when I found out about the Cadets/Crossmen Exhibition at Gettysburg by accident (IOW found it on the web). Just for <Craps> and giggles thought I'd go to see my first show in 10 years (3 years ago last night - more or less) and see what happened. Told my wife I'd either be bck soon or would stay for the whole show and no idea which. :worthy:

First corps out was Hanover Lancers Alumni which wasn't even on the show announcement I saw. First I laughed 'cause I used to compete against the competative corps. Then I was told about the Alumni movement which had really taken off since I walked away from corps. Anyway when the corps started playing I realized I kinda missed doing corps. Few minutes later it was "I REALLY miss doing this". By the end of the show I was wondering how much time out of my life it would take to do the Alumni "thing".

Before y'all fall asleep... By the end of 2003 I had bought an eBay Bari, found out my chops still worked and went to the last Lancer practice of the year. And when I got home my wife asked "Well.... how did it go???" When I said the corps horn was in the car her jaw hit the floor.

Moral: Go to a Drum Corps show and you never know what will happen. Guys in their mid-40s have been known to rejoin after almost a 20 year layoff.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

That's one of the cool things about drumcorps, it's always there in some form or another for you to get involved in. I'm taking a year off for the 1st time since I was ten (1962). Maybe the spark will come back for me at some point.

I haven't played a soprano since 2001, but I still miss being in the line with all the guys. The "spark" is still there, just not in the forefront like it was when I was in college.

Edited by DNgo

If you want to see something great, look at the pictures of the Wildwood show on line. There is a picture of the Cabs Alumni "A Flag" section. The little guy on the end who looks so proud, marched with the original Cabs in 1946.

Everyone who's ever marched was out there with him.