SCREAM!

TCHSBandNerd09

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cooler air" is even harder to grasp than faster air. I will try it tho. thanks

Absent a pencil.....a quarter will also suffice according Jeff G.

NOTE: If using a Sharpie make sure the cap is on...(.Pitooie....)

Edited by melligene

Absent a pencil.....a quarter will also suffice according Jeff G.

NOTE: If using a Sharpie make sure the cap is on...(.Pitooie....)

A straw also works. Or several straws if you need to adjust the torque. Just be carefull if walking or running while doing the exercises. Even doing them while driving a car might be on the risky side.

NOTE: If using a highlighter, make sure it's not one that's gonna bleed all over you while doing so.

"Cooler air" is even harder to grasp than faster air. I will try it tho. thanks

Simple.... hold out your hand and blow cool then warm, feel the difference. The faster air will be cooler.

I personally never think about fast or cool air till I get to an F above high C.

O.K. Thought I'd give it a try cause it made sense. Didn't have a pencil handy but I do have a few Bic fine line pens around so I figured...."what the hey". Yep! Mickey B. is right. Cheeks burn and feel tight. Only problem? There is this indented circle between my upper and lower lip. (I could live with that) but........I can't hold a cigarette for ####....they keep falling out :sshh:

• 2 weeks later...

put a pencil in your mouth like it was a straw. hold it upright using your chops.

the pencil exercise gets you used to rolling the upper lip in, pointing the chin, and pulling the corners back. This "triange of power" or whatever a normal person would call it are three very important parts of a strong embouchure. the lip roll allows more upper lip into the mouthpiece, (the top one vibrates the most) the strong corners allow you to balance the dynamic force from your lungs, and the pointed chin is kind of like an anchor for the lower lip. Good stuff. pedal C to double C on a 20 year old bach 1 1/4 C. Well ok, I can't play the A below double C, but i really think my horn just won't do it at this point.

Edited by John Schmitt

put a pencil in your mouth like it was a straw. hold it upright using your chops.

Hold the straw/pencil/pen strait out using your chops. And make sure it stays in front of your teeth. You don't want to use your teeth to torque it up, unless you're a saxophone player, or are on the twenty years to a high C plan.

Simple.... hold out your hand and blow cool then warm, feel the difference. The faster air will be cooler.

I personally never think about fast or cool air till I get to an F above high C.

Bernoulli's Principle. Faster air is cooler air. :)