Scores And Events

Call me old fashioned but this is a good reason to go back to the "TIC" system.

The rules then were very simple........All corps' started with 100 points. Still with me?

Any distraction from perfection was considered an error worth 1/10 of a point. Color violations (basically any disrespect to the American Flag) was 1 full point.

Deciding what was and wasn't a tic...or how many to assess in a group error situation...was just as subjective as what you have today. It was along the lines of the 'Death from 1,000 cuts' as opposed to coming up with one single number.

I prefer today's system.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know it will be said it is because i am from a different generation but i am incredibly glad the mess that was once the tic systems is long dead. i'm sure this will cause a flame war so i'm sliding on my aspestos suit,

Ah...thinking about Liz in a suit made of olive oil, pignoli, and basil. food-smiley-016.gif

Oh no... not a tick discussion...

quickly, the tick system was frought with problems and almost impossible to teach well to new judges and frankly was mastered by only a few...

Educating true tolerance levels, dealing with exposure (simply put: large corps vs small corps) so as not to penalize the growth of corps and stiffling creativity, educating "unit penalty" ticks and using them properly... this is where people fail to realize that the tick system was SUBJECTIVE not objective...

it led to confusion, it fostered mistakes galore, and even made cheating fairly easy...

The only thing it did do for us - believe it or not - was bring about the use of audio tapes to give comments. The tape recorder was NOT first added to allow the GE judge to give better input but rather to allow the "tickers" to justify their ticks to an audio background allowing the staff to follow the sheet through the music with the judge identifying where he was looking thus - hopefully - allowing the staff to clean...

In judge administration - we also got to insure that the practice of counting and adding or removing ticks after the performance became history ... YES it was done...

My favorite story involves MYSELF... I believe it was the first DCA show in 1982... Corps: Sunrisers... they took the field with a phenominal program which flew all over the field... High velocity, very difficult drill, no cop outs anywhere, blind sets just a wonderful visual program... I was on field M&M - still ticking - I must have lost 20 pounds keeping up with that program and was determined to evaluate every exposure. Read that... I ran my butt off.... I gave them tremendous input to clean from... I also blew my priorities as a judge... Rank and Rate both being more important than evaluate...

In the critique (judges were NOT allowed recaps back then), the Sun staff said: "you gave us great input... and even laid out our next few drill rehearsals for us... by the way, who was the best marching corps on the field?"

My answer: "You were"...

Their answer: "Then next time, don't work so hard - you had us last"

I had gotten so wrapped up in their high velocity show with WAY more judgable situations than their competitors, that I had severly penalized them for their efforts.

Fortunately, when they cleaned that show up - just a few months later they WON the DCA Championship.

I answered the percussion ensemble question above.

not all DCI shows have both judges for perc tho

DCI shows require 13 judges, 12 without the second percussion judge. DCA shows require 11 judges (without the 2 extra effect judges which I believe are only needed for big shows like prelims and finals), so there are still enough judges. I guess they just make sure there are enough judges with percussion judging expertise for the DCA segment.