Scores And Events

Ok,

Maybe it is me. On the home page there is Link in the left Nav bar for Scores and stats..

But It is only for Jr's. Where is the All age love?

Also noticed also on the left nav bar there are events with up coming shows.. Again no All age love..

How can we get the love?

Do I have send in a bid. Jeff..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that someone wrote a script to parse and tabulate the info from the DCI website. I guess nobody has done that for the DCA scores.

I'm also unhappy that the midwest (and from what I understand, also the west coast) DCI shows that are scored on DCA sheets are not on the DCA website, and you have to dig through like 3 layers of links on the DCI website to see the recaps for the all age corps.

no bid needed that i know...did you contact DCp administration?

and yes, like a few other things, those recaps should be on DCA's website.

one question tho....

at a DCI show, who does percussion ensemble?

It seems that someone wrote a script to parse and tabulate the info from the DCI website. I guess nobody has done that for the DCA scores.

Might be a technical limitation as to how scores are stored on each circuit's system/database.

Or...maybe it just needs someone to sponsor the effort...as Dynasty seems to be doing for the DCI scores/stats page.

I'm also unhappy that the midwest (and from what I understand, also the west coast) DCI shows that are scored on DCA sheets are not on the DCA website, and you have to dig through like 3 layers of links on the DCI website to see the recaps for the all age corps.

Full recaps (Lisle, IL) for The Kilties are on the DCI website. The Kilties were judged on DCI sheets, not DCA sheets, thus that may be why recaps for The Kilties are available.

I guess DCI's site is set up to show recaps for performances scored on DCI sheets. The ones scored on DCA sheets can be accessed as a pdf file from the DCI website and unfortunately not on the DCA website for some reason, even though the pdf files are in exactly the same format.

At both DCI shows that Minnesota Brass, Chops, and Governaires played at last weekend, the judges were mixed up from who judged the particular captions for the DCI corps and who judged them for the DCA corps (though each judge stayed within visual, brass and percussion captions for the most part). I didn't count exactly, but it seems that the DCI captions require one more judge than for the DCA captions (given that there was only one judge for each of music effect and visual effect) so one judge gets to rest for the DCA corps. At the Menomonie show, the one who judged percussion 2 for the DCI corps was the same judge for percussion ensemble for the DCA corps. The judges for the DCI sheets are listed in the DCI recap and the judges for the DCA sheets are listed in the pdf file containing the DCA recap so it's relatively easy to cross reference who judged what.

Thanks all for your comments on the Scores/Stats page. First let me say - We LOVE DCA and have no intention to slight our All-Age members and fans.

The DCP Caption Ranking System was created several years ago with a focus on the DCI scores by Steve Musumeche. Steve did a great job in providing a tool that allowed readers to move beyond the 'box scores' format of the recap page and do some actual comparisons over time between the various corps. The scoring grid is consistent and the code and database were created to handle the specific DCI captions.

With my purchase of the site and our new partnership with DCA this year - we've been focused on quite a number of things to help support DCA and bring more information about this organization to our readers. However, when it came time to turn-up the scoring system for the season, we found the obvious 'hole' in our stats engine. After having a quick look at the existing code - it appears that a major change would be required to accomodate the DCA scores. We're going to continue to look at the problem and try to find a solution we can implement this season ... without negatively affecting the remainder of the stats system and site. If not - we will have a new solution in-place for 2007.

In the mean time, we will continue to support DCA and its members to our best ability, with the tools and resources we have, and hope you'll look forward to our expanded coverage from DCA Championships this Labor Day weekend.

Thank you for your continuing support

-john

Thanks all for your comments on the Scores/Stats page. First let me say - We LOVE DCA and have no intention to slight our All-Age members and fans.

The DCP Caption Ranking System was created several years ago with a focus on the DCI scores by Steve Musumeche. Steve did a great job in providing a tool that allowed readers to move beyond the 'box scores' format of the recap page and do some actual comparisons over time between the various corps. The scoring grid is consistent and the code and database were created to handle the specific DCI captions.

With my purchase of the site and our new partnership with DCA this year - we've been focused on quite a number of things to help support DCA and bring more information about this organization to our readers. However, when it came time to turn-up the scoring system for the season, we found the obvious 'hole' in our stats engine. After having a quick look at the existing code - it appears that a major change would be required to accomodate the DCA scores. We're going to continue to look at the problem and try to find a solution we can implement this season ... without negatively affecting the remainder of the stats system and site. If not - we will have a new solution in-place for 2007.

In the mean time, we will continue to support DCA and its members to our best ability, with the tools and resources we have, and hope you'll look forward to our expanded coverage from DCA Championships this Labor Day weekend.

-john

Thanks for the response John. I know you guys are not dissing DCA.. I was just wondering what was up.

DCI has a staff capable of maintaining their website through the huge amount of statistics they cover each season. I certainly would not expect them to have a separate system to manage DCA sheets. I compliment them for agreeing to use DCA sheets and compliment DCA for their cooperation in this endeavor.

It has however, always been my personal goal that all "all aged" corps be judged on DCA sheets - no matter where the show - viva la difference...

Unfortunately, the chain of communications is probably not there to get the information to Glen Johnson in a timely manner from shows run in other areas. Also, Glen is always a tad busy this time of the year and gets very little help in his efforts to update the DCA website...

That being said... I would be in favor of them listing the recaps of outside senior shows judged on dca sheets.

There is a consideration that must be recognized however... since the DCI judges (most of them at least) have not gone through DCA training on use of the sheets, tolerance levels and numbers management, I believe the sheets and scores given are ball park at best and most likely quite a bit off the mark - very likely low... This would be a normal expectation to be a bit severe in your expectations as a judge when you have prepared that night to judge Santa Clara and Concord. It is not wrong. It is just the way it works. Therefore, to list them on the DCA web site opposite scores from fully sanctioned shows adjudicated by judges who are prepared to work DCA all summer, may be doing a disservice to the corps as listing the numbers together on the same site would invite comparison and that comparison might (would!) be totally invalid - and even possibly detrimental to the corps... Very likely showing them in a invalid negative way.

However, at least using the correct sheets for the all aged corps is a tremendous improvement over giving them input via the DCI sheets that is simply "invalid" considering that they need to improve their program via the guidelines of using the DCA sheets to have the seasonal success they desire.

As always there is multiple considerations to every story...

We LOVE DCA and have no intention to slight our All-Age members and fans.

With my purchase of the site and our new partnership with DCA this year - we've been focused on quite a number of things to help support DCA and bring more information about this organization to our readers.

-john

John, Thanks!

Can't you just feel the love here? Posters notice glitches, wonder, and the horse's mouth explains.

Hmm, that reminds me -- I shouldn't be wasting time posting. I need to scribe. Soooo, I'm off to my Dixie outhouse armed with quill pen and an old Sears catalog. See ya' later, alligator snapping turtles.