DCI.org article

pardon me...but I don't believe they were competing so you don't really have anything to worry about

it sounds like it was fun for the kids, so at least give them some credit

I think you misunderstood me. I don't really care one way or another that a marching band played at a DCI show. The first thing I saw when I pulled up the article were the words "band" "drum" "corps". I honestly did shed a tear.

I don't have a problem with it, but it does blur the line between band and corps even further for the casual fan (who doesn't know the difference in the first place)

I dont think DCI.org would be dumb enough to do something like that

trust me, I think we've got a LOOONG ways to go before that happens(if it even does)

(misunderstood, sorry)

On topic- That's actually kinda funny, halftime at a drum corps competition is a marching band. It'd be even funnier if they had a small football game as halftime; ya know, get all the little kids in the stadium who wanna play at halftime for a while, it'd be fun.

I don't have a problem with it, but it does blur the line between band and corps even further for the casual fan (who doesn't know the difference in the first place)

I was at that show and believe me the "casual fan" would be able to tell the difference between the two. Not anything against the kids, they were great; but the differences (especially in intensity) would be obvious to even the most unknowledgeable person when seen back to back.

Actually, I think it helped to highlight the differences.

Edited by boilerman_05

this has been going on for a long time - nothing new, we had a couple bands open up for us in wisconsin

Oh crap, call your broker and sell ALL your stock, because the WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!! :sshh:

Look, I'm against DCI turning into a marching band as much as the next guy, but there is a lot of great reasons to have local bands perform at shows. It's happened for years, I know because that's how I started. :)

In the early 80's I was part of a youth marching band that performed in exhibition at all the local shows. This was when there were a TON of local corps (SCV, BD, Raiders, Valley Fever, VK, Kingsmen, Freelancers, etc) and having performed at those shows opened my eyes up wide to a whole new world of drums corps I never would have experienced otherwise. This little youth band was single handedly responsible for producing a ton of talented musicians to both BD and SCV from 83 to the early 90's. My guess is that at least 25% of the SCV hornline in the 88-92 era came from this little band that DCI allowed to play at the local shows - inlcuding the 89 champion line. I'd also dare to say that maybe half the SCV soloists in that era (including myself) had roots there, ALL of the BD/SCV DM's in 88 plus a few into the 90's, and even a little snare drummer came from this group to become rather famous these days... little Jimmy Cassella. Yeah, even he had roots in a small little marching band that was allowed to perform at local drum corps shows. :P

Without this little band: I never would have seen Phantom perform Sparticus handing out the librettos; I never would have seen how fun VK was at retreats with their folding chairs; I never would have seen the BD/SCV drum major contest on who could walk the slowest to get out for retreat; I never would have seen the greatest drum corps to walk on the face of the earth, the '86 Blue Devils; And I would have never found my calling to join SCV.

Having bands perform at local shows does not weaken the activity. On the contrary, it gives kids exposure to drum corps that they might already have. Unfortunately this little marching band has long gone under, but I can only imagine how much more local talent would be available if it were still around. It's too bad this doesn't happen more often. B)

Peace out...

Edited by JimmySCV