Mesa Scores

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say it won't happen. Yeah, it's been rare, but it has occurred. I wouldn't mind seeing a 1999-type finish between these two from what I'm hearing.

I've seen SCV this year and i do say they are better than last year but....they are not at the level they were in 1998, 1999 or even the shows in the early 2000's. I understand the excitement that SCV brings to people but when i hear people say that SCV was "Clearly" better than BD, then what gives? They have not won one caption or subcaption against BD and that says more than BD is just "cleaner".

If there's one caption you absolutely cannot judge from the stands, it's brass.

Well I understand that one of the brass judges is on the field, but isn't it what you hear in the stands that actually matters? If the individuals are playing like crap, it's going to sound like crap up in the stands too. As I posted in my review, BD's middle brass was actually horrible. They actually made me cringe, their sound was so bad. I don't see how it could sound so bad up in the stands and the judges could miss it on the field. And I was near the top of the stands, on the 40. So that had nothing to do with it. They just weren't playing well.

Well I understand that one of the brass judges is on the field, but isn't it what you hear in the stands that actually matters? If the individuals are playing like crap, it's going to sound like crap up in the stands too. As I posted in my review, BD's middle brass was actually horrible. They actually made me cringe, their sound was so bad. I don't see how it could sound so bad up in the stands and the judges could miss it on the field. And I was near the top of the stands, on the 40. So that had nothing to do with it. They just weren't playing well.

That's not how I saw it last night. That stadium or is it the heat, makes it very unreadable to hear the full effect of sound, especially from an ensemble point of view. Horrible? I hardly think so. Review to come shortly.

It's great that there are so many different opinions regarding SCV as compared to Devs. Typically SCV starts off slowly so I think it's reasonable (given history, which can be a good indicator) that SCV will be back in the top 5 by Nats. They may not beat BD, but it's interesting that many were picking them to finish 7th or eighth again.

You'd think after all these years people would realize that SCV is for the most part going to remain in the top 5.

Go SCV!

ahh yes, but for many, we thought that after all the scouts did in the 90s consistent 4-6 placements, they'd stay there as well....and since 99 they've finished there once (last year).

I had SCV in 6th. and I think that's where they'll finish. But from what I saw on their website, their show looks pretty sick and I can't wait to see it!

After instructing a corps in the Div. II/III arena I'll say that scores are not relative when competing against Div. I corps with div II sheets as it is when it is an all Div. II/III show. It is just the way it is. Judging is hard to differentiate between the sheets when you are amongst larger corps (Div. I) than when everyone is n the same relative playing ground (Div. II/III) Expect scores to bounce around for Div. II/III corps when they are part of a Div. I show.