Trumpets, and tubas

Real-ity

It totally was the multi-key rule allowance in 2000.  Simply calling them what they are.

Lucas is right...

Still, the names Soprano, Alto, Baritone, Contrabass all come from chorale writting. The brass section is really just a brass chorale... I still don't see why they can't just call them Sopranos, Contra's etc. And to be honest they were the only change.

You've gotta love Symantics!

Cullen.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time going to two piston , my only though was why not go ahead to three and be done with it.Now It's true at the time I didn't like going to the two piston and I still like a piston/rotor soprano better, but if you are going to two pistons why not three? I was also marching in the Oklahoms State Marching Band and I very much liked the fact that Drum Corps was different, a bugle not a trumpet, we marched different, we didn't go out and spell words or make pictures, no people in costumes and dancing on the 50, durmd stayed together and played clean and tight and had solos. My H.S. marching band marched Drum Corps Style(drill was written by one of the instructors of locak corps) that didn't bother me because as long as there where trumpets and woodwinds on the field they would never even be close to the same. I think our 30 something horn line put out more sound then our almost 200 OSU marching band, I used to get in trouble all the time for overpowering the leads, how could I help it if they didn't know how to project!

• 3 weeks later...
Have they only changed key? What I would realy like to know weather or not most of the new Bb sop(trumpets) are bugles or trumpet. In the true sence of the word they are different and it has to do with the tubing a bugle should have a large(if not all) conical tubing and a trumpet should have mostly cylindrical tubing. And they do play different, a bugle will have a darker but fuller sound, a trumpet will pe easer to play because the notes will be better centered. I also do Civil War reenacting as a bugler and have a few bugles the inf. used bugles and the cav. for the most part used trumpets, please don't think thet a trumpet has to have valves that is not the case it has to do with the tubing. The point I am getting at is there would be no advantage to let a change to Bb bugles but a switch to trumpets would help in intonation and blending, especialy with the way many of the corps are scoring things today, more band like. But a trumpet will not project as well, again it doesn't seem to be of as much importance as it once was. All the G sops I have played in the past and now play like bugles, the piston/rotor Getezen, Olds and Ludwig, and the two piston Dynasty and a Kurstal three piston. I have not played a Bb and don't think I ever will I'm way to old for Jr. and I just don't think in my life time the Sr's will be going to them and Alimini, na...So the only point I realy like to find out is if the Bb horns being used now are bugles or trumpets. If they are bugles I don't have a problem with it but if they are trumpets, what a shame.

The G soprano bugle in all it's forms from valveless to present day is and was a trumpet. The original US Regulation Bugle, created in 1892, is a valveless or field trumpet, but called a bugle. The proportion of cylindrical is actually greater in most G sopranos, compared to Bb trumpets. This, IMHO, gives them the extra "oomph" that drum corps fans have come to love. The Bb trumpets that are being played by many corps today are designed for outdoor use and have bell shapes like G sopranos.

There is a true soprano voiced bugle consisting of mostly conical tubing played in drum corps today and that is the flugelhorn. The word "bugle" as defined by the activity over the years has consistently called for a straight, bell-front instrument. We have added valves over time, but kept the restriction on the shape of the instrument. The restriction of brass instruments to those with a straight bell front design makes us unique in any era.

The success of the straight bell-front drum corps bugle design in both sound projection and it's ability to be played well on the move led to it's adoption by marching bands in the 1970's. So there is actually no easy answer to your question. I would say that the brass instruments in Bb and F being played today are based on the design of G bugles. But the Bb trumpet is a trumpet as is also the G soprano.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year,

Jeff