Trumpets, and tubas

Real-ity

I was just looking at that post from George with the audition photo from PR, when I thought i'd ask this question that I have been pondering for a while.

At what point did corps start calling them Trumpet and Tubas?

It seemed like an overnight change, that maybe came with the Bbs. I marched in 99... wasn't that long ago, and everything was sopranos, mellos, baris, and contras. Now I feel like the only corps that continues to use those names are II/IIIs and Seniors. What changed? :angry:

Again, I don't mean to start a naming or instrument key argument... just curious... cuz I missed the memo :angry:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since PR and a slew of other corps are now, <shudder> using Bb instruments, they are no longer called bugles. They are band instruments. When was the last time you heard a local high school band leader say "And on Contra Chris Wellner and on Soprano Jay D'Auria." ?

Call a spade a spade!

I dunno man. I've marched since there was no question that drum and bugle corps marched bugles, and continued to march corps like that up until this year. I went to an audition and I was the only one who had "soprano" written on her name tag. I felt like a dinosaur or something. I remember I used to do pushups for calling a sop a trumpet back in 99. Nowadays people call them whatever they want, intermittently. Some of the vis staff still call the tubas contras; the contras themselves call themselves tubas. It's soooo weird. I still get shocked whenever I ask someone what they march and they reply, as if nothing was wrong, "Trumpet." :( But maybe I'm just behind the times or something. Oh well. I still have a few years left till my age out to catch up..

Edited by jamoline

ok, the key change doesn't bother me, and niether does having them called trumpets and tubas.. but why? The key doesn't make a name for the horn. You can have trumpets in any key practically. They are still a trumpet, what makes these newer horns trumpets/tubas now? I still call them sopranos and contras, regaurdless of Key. Its what they are, its what a corps uses. ahh well. it doesn't matter, people understand no matter you call them..

lol That's exactly how I see it. It's random and even by corps I don't think it's standardized.

I thought even with the key change though, they'd keep the names of bugles. Sure they are Bb, but they make them as Bb bugles. I was against Bb pretty heavy, but now i'm accepting it (i guess). But please still call them bugles :-D

Good to know that someone else sees the randomness of it as I do :)

I guess this mean less people will be doing pushups for naming instruments wrong this season, anyway!

Edited by Real-ity

....ive always called them sopranos adn contras, cause my first year in 1998 everything was still in G. so i was mad when they changed it to all key. :angry:

They didn't magically change into different instruments when different keys were allowed. If you compare DEG and Kanstul G and Bb horns, you will find that the differences between them are very minor, and the ones that really impact projection are virtually the same, if not exactly the same. I would probably still call it a contra out of habit; some people without that habit would probably say tuba. Whatever.