Sound Balancing entire corps via amps

The reasoning behind the original amp proposal was so the mallet players could use proper technique to be heard. IOW there was a sound balance issue between the pit and the rest of the corps. Answer was to amp the pit to achieve balance for that area of the corps.

Now we have amped vocals. Why? <pause 2 seconds ^0^ > Because unamped vocals cannot be heard over the corps or in the stands. IOW - yes another balance problem.

In my job I have to think ahead to the next few steps. Did the same thing here and realize the only thing holding back balancing the entire corps is a lack of technology. My thoughts are that when technology catches up someone will want to rig up an entire corps so they can be balanced the same way you see at rock concerts.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? :P

And this is not a satirical post, I am serious.

Wow - remember when Gadget said the amp proposal allowed amplified vocals and he got flamed for his truthfulness.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

The reasoning behind the original amp proposal was so the mallet players could use proper technique to be heard. IOW there was a sound balance issue between the pit and the rest of the corps. Answer was to amp the pit to achieve balance for that area of the corps.

Now we have amped vocals. Why? <pause 2 seconds ^0^ > Because unamped vocals cannot be heard over the corps or in the stands. IOW - yes another balance problem.

In my job I have to think ahead to the next few steps. Did the same thing here and realize the only think holding back balancing the entire corps is a lack of technology. My thoughts are that when technology catches up someone will want to rig up an entire corps so they can be balanced the same way you see at rock concerts.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? :P

And this is not a satirical post, I am serious.

Wow - remember when Gadget said the amp proposal allowed amplified vocals and he got flamed for his truthfulness.

I was? I can't even remember that. :D

And the word's "truthiness". Now go and brush up on your Colbert Report. :P

colbert1.jpg

I was? I can't even remember that. :D

And the word's "truthiness". Now go and brush up on your Colbert Report. :P

colbert1.jpg

And he's quick on the draw too!! :P

Think someone asked what all was allowed under the proposal. You mentioned that corps could have amped vocals because there was nothing in the proposal banning the idea. And then the flames started. :P

As far as Colbert Report, I'm more into "Mind of Mancia". Or as my wife calls it "Not that show again?" :blink:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

The next step is to put mics on all the horns and battery. Then set up loudspeakers around the entire perimeter of the field. This way, people sitting out near the endzones would not miss out on the music. In fact, you could use all of the seating in every stadium and have a crowd of 80,000 for Nats. It would be a challenge for drill writers to make the visuals look good from every angle.

The next step is to put mics on all the horns and battery. Then set up loudspeakers around the entire perimeter of the field. This way, people sitting out near the endzones would not miss out on the music. In fact, you could use all of the seating in every stadium and have a crowd of 80,000 for Nats. It would be a challenge for drill writers to make the visuals look good from every angle.

Problem there is that you would need 80,000 people interested enough to attend.

Once we reach that point, wouldn't it be more practical to move the whole activity indoors, a la Blast? Smaller corps, more comfortable atmosphere for performers and spectators, easier housing...

Mike

A la Drum Corps Japan, actually.