What REALLY needs to happen?

You Are Emperor or Empress of DCI  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Rules for amplification must change, given all the evidence, what's the BEST way to please everybody?

• Change the judging sheets - Make poor use or misuse of amplification impact scores.
    • Change the judging sheets - give amp use a category all it's own. Tick system only so no "extra benefit" can be supposed by using or not using them.
    • Repeal the rule. Let the Fans' voices be heard!! BRING ME THEIR HEADS!
    • CAN WE PLEASE STOP NITPICKING AMPS/NO AMPS TO DEATH ALREADY?

I'm asking politely that people really take a moment to consider before you vote.

If amplification on field (voice, pit, whatever.. "use of amplifiers" would be the general topic heading) were to be judged more accurately, would you be satisfied?

Or will you only be satisfied in the unlikely event that amps are repealed?

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't going away, so no #3... I voted for option #1...since #2 would imply the "tick system", which would be at odds with the rest of the build-up one we have in place now for other captions.

If it's an integral part of the show, it has to be treated as such in the scores...especially if it isn't communicated effectively.

Yep, it is a rule now. So lets judge it. Cadets would be hurting just like the rest do when they do things badly. I should say any Corps that uses it.

Edited by Jimisback

I would say #1, the only problem I have is that I think some people are taking things a little too far. Yes, hearing an amp frizzle out is annoying, and yes it should have at least some impact on the score... but how much?

I get the feeling that some people are looking for several points to be deducted, when in most cases I have a hard time thinking it should be anything more than a few tenths. I mean, how much would you count off for a missed note during a solo? And if a few tenths are deducted from the potential score, especially in the early season when scores are rapidly climbing, who's to say that frizzles aren't being factored into the scores already? I guess only a judge can answer that.

I would say #1, the only problem I have is that I think some people are taking things a little too far. Yes, hearing an amp frizzle out is annoying, and yes it should have at least some impact on the score... but how much?

I get the feeling that some people are looking for several points to be deducted, when in most cases I have a hard time thinking it should be anything more than a few tenths. I mean, how much would you count off for a missed note during a solo? And if a few tenths are deducted from the potential score, especially in the early season when scores are rapidly climbing, who's to say that frizzles aren't being factored into the scores already? I guess only a judge can answer that.

However, in the case of shows that heavily depend on it (I won't mention who :P ), the penalty should reflect that. If there's such large problems that it becomes distracting, and largely takes away from the effect of your show...then you need to face the fact of "live by the sword, die by the sword" :)

Let's take 2005 for an example. If the Bluecoats drum speak had gone off track, well...that was a small portion of a big drum feature, and perhaps the whole line could have "yelled" it sans mikes to try to compensate, in order to still create the effect. That's a small penalty.

But, what if BD's announcer had gone by the wayside an entire show? Then, there's less of an overall, overarching thematic tie between the field and communicating with the judges (and audience). There would have been awkward silences, and the last half of the show as it "goes in reverse" would be lost, more or less. That kind of dependency should be judged as such....with a bigger redction in those GE scores.

Then, you have a show like Boston 2004...where the narration was basically an overlay onto a large, easy premise (color) that could be communicated without "descriptors" from the narrator. That may explain why their score remained relatively stable when they weren't used at the Orlando regional.

It's certainly something to do on a case-by-case scenario....there can't really be a "this gets x points off" thing since a show might not rely on it that much, as we can see.

However, the judges should be charged with ascertaining where and how much the amplified portions fit into the overall theme (GE), and take off points accordingly as to how much those ideas are relied on to deliver the "effect". :)

Edited by bawker

How do you figure amplification into the sub-caption it goes in?

Which one does it go in?

How much of the weight of that subcaption can be "used" or is earmarked for amps (I mean, if an amp is improperly wired, catches on fire and burns the stadium down, does the corps get a big, fat goose-egg in that subcaption for the night or does the amp score have a cap?).

How do you account for the "amp weight" in a subcaption when a corps doesn't use them?

Sorry.. had to edit it for clarity.

Edited by ScribeToo

I don't believe a change in the sheets is necessary. To the extent that amps enhance or detract from the musical experience they will naturally impact the numbers. That is enough for me.

How do you figure amplification into the sub-caption it goes in?

Which one does it go in?

How much of the weight of that subcaption can be "used" or is earmarked for amps (I mean, if an amp is improperly wired, catches on fire and burns the stadium down, does the corps get a big, fat goose-egg in that subcaption for the night or does the amp score have a cap?).

How do you account for the "amp weight" in a subcaption when a corps doesn't use them?

Sorry.. had to edit it for clarity.

This is why the next DCP "Livewire" should be with the head DCI judge. :)

I tried so hard to think of everything.. :) sorry, I should have included that as an option.