Jester - Settling Rumors with fact

Hope they still have shirts when they get to Sunnyvale. Looks like I won't be able to make the Sacramento/Elks Grove show. :(

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope they still have shirts when they get to Sunnyvale. Looks like I won't be able to make the Sacramento/Elks Grove show. :(

hey send me your name and what size ... I will try and make it to there table asap on Friday and ask them if they can hold one for you. for Saturday.

If anyone can be at the RCC show on july 28th get out there and support jester they are the second to last corps on that night right before the host yamato....so if you can get out there and support these kids theyre doing a #### of a job

hey send me your name and what size ... I will try and make it to there table asap on Friday and ask them if they can hold one for you. for Saturday.

pm sent..............

thanks..........

DCI knows that this corps and many more are not ready to be competitive and no DCI or the judges aren't going out on purpose and giving them low scores to send a message. But there is a meaning behind the low scores. Alot of it has to do with the way a staff and administration interpret the scores and judges comments. I agree with your interpretation of the low scores. Anybody who is neutral and looks at it without emotion would see that.

I agree that these members of Jester and alot of other division 3 corps are not being given a worthwhile total experience of the activity. There is some value in the process of rehearsing and performing alone but when these kids are not getting quality instruction and quality experience overall and treatment by administration then that takes away from the natural value within the activity. You also have to understand that many of these younger kids who march these corps do not know any differently as many of them have had very little or no exposure to the drum corps activity.

I've seen Jester a couple times this summer. After the show in Bellflower (practically in my back yard), I started to wonder if their low score is a message being sent by DCI to call it a season. They were beat by Blue Devils "C" which is ages 6-14, and by 6 points in just the visual caption alone. They lost the percussion caption to a line that literally struggled to carry their drums onto the field. I am all in favor of Div 3 corps that can put out a great show despite small numbers. In my opinion Jester is not providing their members with a worthwhile experience and I feel sorry for those kids.

DCI knows that this corps and many more are not ready to be competitive and no DCI or the judges aren't going out on purpose and giving them low scores to send a message. But there is a meaning behind the low scores. Alot of it has to do with the way a staff and administration interpret the scores and judges comments. I agree with your interpretation of the low scores. Anybody who is neutral and looks at it without emotion would see that.

I agree that these members of Jester and alot of other division 3 corps are not being given a worthwhile total experience of the activity. There is some value in the process of rehearsing and performing alone but when these kids are not getting quality instruction and quality experience overall and treatment by administration then that takes away from the natural value within the activity. You also have to understand that many of these younger kids who march these corps do not know any differently as many of them have had very little or no exposure to the drum corps activity.

And once again I ask - where did all this knowledge of DCI come from that you were left so embittered?

I mean if you think Jester should close up then there are two other corps scoring below them, they should close up too I guess. At least 90 kids see their corps go inactive because you say it's not up to standard? You must have had one nasty experience somewhere along the way to reach that conclusion......

Has anyone actually talked to any of the kids? I mean, who cares if they don't have much exposure to drumcorps and "don't know differently" - it would be irresponsible for anyone to preach that they're "not getting a worthwhile experience", unless the members themselves feel that way. If they are enjoying themselves, then good for them.

Glenn,

That's probably the most sensible thing said on this thread so far.

GO JESTER!

Glenn,

That's probably the most sensible thing said on this thread so far.

GO JESTER!

Ditto, keep getting reminded of my nephew and one of his Little League coachs. Kid was good but just wanted to play BB with his friends. #### he would have been happy to be playing on a dirt lot with a lot of rocks. Anyway one coach was building an "All Star" team and kept pressuring the kid to join. Nephew came #### close to quitting playing altogether until his dad confronted the coach with a "What the #### part of NO don't you get!".

Moral: Sometimes the "adults" can muck up something the kids enjoy, by imposing their own desires.