Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Phantom - Columbia APDs

First of all, I do not post on here very often, but I do read almost everything posted. I must say that I am slightly dissapointed in myself because I let all of these countless negative comments about shows this year lesson my enthusiasm for drum corps. Well... I just got to listen to the Bluecoats, Cavaliers and Phantom APDs for the first time and boy my enthusiasm is at an all time high. These three shows are... simply outstanding... and I almost always like shows much better when I see them. Allow me to comment on each separately so I can try to bring some positive energy to this community.

Bluecoats: I love the whole vibe of the show. It has a mysterious but fun groove. It's definitely darker and more serious than last year, but in a good way. The interaction between the front ensemble and battery is extremely clever. Great writing. The upper brass have such a clear, concentrated sound, it cuts right through the percussion. Gotta love the trumpet and contra duet.

Cavaliers: What a dark show for them. I like it way better than last years. You could probably listen to just the front ensemble for this show and be thouroughly entertained. Contrary to what many have said, this show has tons of melody. Listen to the ballad, I could easily (and probably will) have that stuck in my head at some point in the future. I love the part toward the end where they bring back all the themes of the show and play them on top of one another... very chaotic... very cool.

Phantom: This is classic drum corps with a modern twist. Wow, what an awesome percussion section. The brassline sounds scary-good for June. Some have said that they did not like their opener, but it is my favorite part of the show. It is a unique and refreshing beginning to a show... very aggressive. I can absolutely not wait to hear them in Louisville on July 17. (It will be my first viewing of Phantom sans RCA Dome). I think this show would work better musically with a dark ending, but the one they have works well, maybe I will like it better when I see it.

I just wanted to share with everyone my renewed enthusiasm for this season. I hope it will rub off on some other people. I know that many people are unhappy with how drum corps music is arranged these days. Yes, it is not like it used to be... but I think it is better. In the old days, when arrangments were much closer to their originals, they were truly arrangements. Now, they often feel more like compositions. In my opinion, this is much more artistic. What I heard tonight could almost be considered a new genre of music (or at least a sub-genre), especially in the percussion sections. Nothing else can create the type of effect that drum and bugle corps can. I truly hope that we all can remember and embrace this.

Thanks,

Tez

i dig it- thanks for the good vibe, man!- hope it rubs off on some people....

I love the part toward the end where they bring back all the themes of the show and play them on top of one another... very chaotic... very cool.

Wait until you see the drill move they do there. If I remember correctly from the Columbia broadcast, it was really neat. As far as I can remember, there's this huge box moving slowly across the field and there are different gears in it turning different ways with each gear playing a different theme. That may be completely wrong, because I only saw the move once and it was about 6 days ago.

Phantom's show is really coming together compared to the first APD. Wow.

Phantom's show is really coming together compared to the first APD. Wow.

Yeah!

The one that just blew me away was Madison's. After six listens yesterday I would like to amend my previous comments, which were merely positive, and say that, musically, I haven't been more impressed with a Madison show in a long, long time. Like, 1997...this one might even end up being a more compelling product, taken as a whole, when it shows up at Finals. And it will. But they need to get the sponges out because its dirty--they shouldn't have a problem taking care of that.

To the Scouts, a hearty "Woot" to join the positive reviews above.

That Blooo show, too...dang :blink:

Edited by festive

Nothing anyone can say will damper my enthusiasm for the season! I am going to Indy next weekend and have my finals tickets. I am PUMPED!!!

Thanks for the music reviews! Wish I could fly all the way out to Madison to see everyone this year, but guess I'll have to settle for some late season APDs and the Quarterfinals broadcast. :)

My only complaint is that the Cavaliers' pit was too #### loud. Maybe it's just me but I thought the volume was a bit too high that night. Other than that, I enjoyed them all a TON. ^OO^