The Cavaliers 2007 Percussion

An insider tells me that the next years Cavalier percussion section will have either a choice:

Jim Casella will either:

A ) leave and not be percussion caption head

B ) lose his contract with Pearl

C ) Ditch the Yamahas and go.....Pearl.

So, next year it's either no yamaha or no casella. Any thoughts?

Edited by azwethinkweizm

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more interested to see what Mr. Cassella does with their

percussion program THIS season. :)

Edited by madalumni

An insider tells me that the next years Cavalier percussion section will have either a choice:

Jim Casella will either:

I'd be interested to know who your "insider" is, because I would doubt The Cavaliers would hire Jim Casella knowing that they would risk losing him the year after. I bet they've already worked it all out.

I'd be interested to know who your "insider" is, because I would doubt The Cavaliers would hire Jim Casella knowing that they would risk losing him the year after. I bet they've already worked it all out.

Which means more than likely, the Cavaliers will go to Pearl drums next year. I mean, Casella is an endorser of Pearl.

It's like endorsing Mercedes and driving Ford...

Which means more than likely, the Cavaliers will go to Pearl drums next year. I mean, Casella is an endorser of Pearl.

It's like endorsing Mercedes and driving Ford...

It would make sense... Bluecoats went Yamaha in their 2nd year with McIntosh. I see the same happening here.

Jim Casella will either:

1. By posing three different scenarios, isn't that actally ADDING to speculation instead of ending it?!

2. Casella went from Vic Firth to Innovative Percussion; artists changing endorsements happens frequently in the business

3. Cavaliers also play Yamaha horns, right?

Either way, this discussion is is bizarre to say the least. I've heard great things regarding Casella's involvement with the corps (not the least of which are the APD's the feature OUTSTANDING percussion music that will more than likely contend once clean), and I seriously doubt that the corps either didn't think about this situation before hiring him (as one suggested) or didn't already have things worked out with Mr. Casella.

Plus, we've basically just started the 2006 season (one that seems to be shaping up to be pretty exciting); why the heck would we want to 'skip ahead' to next year already?!?!

--

doug

Funny thing about this business; with the number of 18-19 year olds involved, the members and their freiends kick around an awful lot of speculation based on....well, the need to have something interesting to speculate about.

Clinician contracts for those in the marching/education end of the music business aren't exactly huge deals for multiple tens of thousands of dollars. In most cases, the manufacturer strikes a deal with the performers (the corps) for some "on loan" or discounted equipment, and whoever's in charge of the line then becomes a "_____ clinician." That's how it worked with Fred Sanford back when SCV was Slingerland's big dog, that's what happened when Cavaliers changed from Pearl to Yamaha in '87 (do younger people know that Cavaliers were the line to introduce Pearl's marching percussion in the early 80s?). Jim Campbell taught the Cavies line playing Pearl equipment. The corps changed, and eventually Jim was a Yamaha clinician.

For now, Cavaliers have an excellent and mutually beneficial relationship with Yamaha that goes back almost 20 years. I wouldn't assume that a change is imminent in anyone's status to any significant degree.

Edited by mobrien

Casella is doing a great job with the Cavaliers. The guys had to learn a completely new style (at least the vets did) and it is taking some time. But their scores keep going up. Front Ensemble arranger changed as well, but the tech is still Alan Miller and they are busting it in the Pit. I feel they will stay with Casella and Yamaha, they have been with them too long. My son is in the Pit and he really likes Casella and Ancona (sp?). Feels like they are playing a lot more music this year. Not that they didn't with Kuhn and Johnson, those guys were great too. I am more concerned about how they do this year to start worrying about 2007 already. b**bs