Acadamy at Finals

This is a two part question:

With Arizona Academy rockin' and rollin' this season, I think it's safe to say that they have a great chance to win D-II at their first-ever finals. And if that's the case...

1) Can they win D-II, declare their intentions to move to D-I next year, and have a shot to make finals, such as Magic did in 2002? Or did they change the rules so that no D-II corps can compete at Semifinals for a shot at Finals?

2) Does Academy intend to go D-1 in 2007? 2008? Anyone know?

This is a two part question:

With Arizona Academy rockin' and rollin' this season, I think it's safe to say that they have a great chance to win D-II at their first-ever finals. And if that's the case...

1) Can they win D-II, declare their intentions to move to D-I next year, and have a shot to make finals, such as Magic did in 2002? Or did they change the rules so that no D-II corps can compete at Semifinals for a shot at Finals?

2) Does Academy intend to go D-1 in 2007? 2008? Anyone know?

I believe the rules have changed. No more div. II corps competing at quarters. They basically are a div. I corp (performance wise) competing in div. II. I see no reason for them to not be a div. I corp in 2007. They can do a limited tour like Pacific Crest and Manderins do and since finals are out west next year..be fun to see them in div. I.

Well, first of all I have little doubt that The Academy from Arizona will win Division II in Madison this year. I've been fortunate enough to see this corps every single year they've been in competition, which is saying something since some years they only did 2 or 3 competitions. They are AWESOME!!! No achilles heel for this corps.

I'm fairly certain that they won't go Division I right away. They've been building and growing and "getting their feet wet" so gradually that I just can't see them even doing a limited Div. I tour next season. Right now they don't even compete as much as most Div. II corps out here. Check their schedule on DCI.org. You'll see what I mean.

I believe that they're still entitled to compete in Div. I Quarterfinals if they so desire, or has that changed again? DCI seems to redefine their Div. II policies every year. :blink:

No div II coprs can compete in quaterfinals. That rule changed the year after Magic went from div II champions, into a top 12 spot in div I.

Before they can compete in div I they have to declare a desire to be a div I corps in the off season, then go through the new audit system by a DCI committee and be approved.

Well, first of all I have little doubt that The Academy from Arizona will win Division II in Madison this year. I've been fortunate enough to see this corps every single year they've been in competition, which is saying something since some years they only did 2 or 3 competitions. They are AWESOME!!! No achilles heel for this corps.

I'm fairly certain that they won't go Division I right away. They've been building and growing and "getting their feet wet" so gradually that I just can't see them even doing a limited Div. I tour next season. Right now they don't even compete as much as most Div. II corps out here. Check their schedule on DCI.org. You'll see what I mean.

I believe that they're still entitled to compete in Div. I Quarterfinals if they so desire, or has that changed again? DCI seems to redefine their Div. II policies every year. :blink:

Div. II corps cannot compete in quarters or semis because their competitions are at the same times as div. I corps. That's been like that for the last couple of years.

Div. II corps cannot compete in quarters or semis because their competitions are at the same times as div. I corps. That's been like that for the last couple of years.

Didn't they change that this year though? Aren't the Div. II competitions before Div. I, even though they're on the same day?

For some reason, I was thinking DCI finally got it right this year :)

No div II coprs can compete in quaterfinals. That rule changed the year after Magic went from div II champions, into a top 12 spot in div I.

Before they can compete in div I they have to declare a desire to be a div I corps in the off season, then go through the new audit system by a DCI committee and be approved.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Bummer, 'cause I'd be curious to see how they stack-up in Div. I. I bet they'd at least make Semifinals.

But as for the future of The Academy, all I can say is, "Look out! 'Cause here they come!"

they won't go div. til at least 2009 is what i'm thinking. i don't have any inside info or anything, but i don't think mark richardson likes to do anything half-###ed. and they are no where near ready for div 1. they have a lot of talent, but on the field you can tell they are lacking experience, and that . . . thing . . . that comes with it. i don't know how to explain it.