why making Finals is so important

good experiences don't always come from winning and having the best show, when i began my marching band career we didn't win anything, but was it becasue we didn't try? No. Granted by 1999 we were winning most local compitions and even won at the gator bowl.....However, had we competed in BOA we could have placed in the back half. Was it because we didn't try, was it becasue we had a staff that couldn't pull off a "excellent" show? mabye, but it never prevented us from having a good experience.

You can ask any class C band that. Some of those schools only have eight kids in thier band,(one in particular here in West Virginia) would you not watch it becasue eight people can't produce the excellence you wish to see?

I have seen many groups that fir Orpehus's discription of setting standards too high. The result? shows that kids can't preform or play, this causes kids to quit becasue they think the band would be better off without them, since they themselves can't play the music or march the drill

band and corps in general is about the kids....not running them off becase the director has higher dreams of glory

Edited by MUMarchingthunder04

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[]I would not say least important....in the years I marched that was the point to work towards making finals after rebuilding for a few years....I guess I'm a little confused....I agree the bus ride, the bonding , and the discipline one gets from drum corps are memories that follow you forever,...but honestly, what is the point of marching in drum corps if not to eventually make finals and hopefully win.... B)

How about to learn something, to become a better person, to make friends, and to have fun ... ? When all but six or seven D1 corps (at most) know before the season begins that they have essentially ZERO shot at winning, and some know that they have very little chance of even making top-twelve, then there's got to be more to it than the ring, right? And what of D2/3?

good experiences don't always come from winning and having the best show, when i began my marching band career we didn't win anything, but was it becasue we didn't try? No. Granted by 1999 we were winning most local compitions and even won at the gator bowl.....However, had we competed in BOA we could have placed in the back half. Was it because we didn't try, was it becasue we had a staff that couldn't pull off a "excellent" show? mabye, but it never prevented us from having a good experience. You can ask any class C band that. Some of those schools only have eight kids in thier band, would you not watch it becasue eight people can't produce the excellence you wish to see?

I would never waste my time watching an 8-member marching band.

Agreed, I have no problem with people who only enjoy watching Fianlist corps. Just as long as they don't down the corps that don't make top 10 (DCA) or 12 (DCI).

I agree....and I usually watch all of the D1 corps during semi's. Given the price of DCI tickets on finals night it is by far the best value.

BackBeat

asifindnoarta Posted Today, 12:40 PM

QUOTE(MUMarchingthunder04 @ Jul 7 2006, 12:34 PM)

good experiences don't always come from winning and having the best show, when i began my marching band career we didn't win anything, but was it becasue we didn't try? No. Granted by 1999 we were winning most local compitions and even won at the gator bowl.....However, had we competed in BOA we could have placed in the back half. Was it because we didn't try, was it becasue we had a staff that couldn't pull off a "excellent" show? mabye, but it never prevented us from having a good experience. You can ask any class C band that. Some of those schools only have eight kids in thier band, would you not watch it becasue eight people can't produce the excellence you wish to see?

I would never waste my time watching an 8-member marching band. " unquote

and i'm sure by your attitude they wouldn't want you anyway

Edited by MUMarchingthunder04

How about to learn something, to become a better person, to make friends, and to have fun ... ? When all but six or seven D1 corps (at most) know before the season begins that they have essentially ZERO shot at winning, and some know that they have very little chance of even making top-twelve, then there's got to be more to it than the ring, right? And what of D2/3?

yeah I agree,...all that stuff is priceless, but don't discount the will to win,...read my whole post about rebuilding...sure you have some seasons when you set goals at maybe making the top 25....but your goals should always be set higher and higher each season....don't stay in that "I can't win mindset"....I don't believe that "ZERO" chance mentality stuff....I guess it's just a matter of opinion.....I truely believe that even today,....the harder you work, pray, and sweat....the results will come,...but I gues that's just me B)