why making Finals is so important

I would never waste my time watching an 8-member marching band.

And why would you consider it "wasting your time"?

As background I've seen a 10-12 person (forget which) DC perform. My first thought was "this should be interesting how they put on a field show". They couldn't do a lot of things a full corps does but the people in the stands enjoyed for variuos reasons. One of the really unique things I've seen over my decades in corps.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never waste my time watching an 8-member marching band.

hey the glassmen were small at one time so you woudln't go back and watch say.....1983, becsaue they were smaller than most DIV I corps and may not be as excellent as they have been since that time?

No, it's just scary to think what would happen when you take over a mid- or low-achieving high school band and they're unable to live up to the standards of the 2002 Cavaliers.

Well a band could never match up to the 2002 Cavaliers because the 2002 Cavaliers are a drum corps and bands are intrinsically inferior to drum corps.

Well a band could never match up to the 2002 Cavaliers because the 2002 Cavaliers are a drum corps and bands are intrinsically inferior to drum corps.

inferior? I doubt that. Way to bash hard working kids. <**>

asifindnoarta:

All pulled from your posts or questions asked directly to you (and responded to by you) --

OOC, what corps in DCI can you name in which the members and staffs don't try to do the best they can?

Any corps that does not produce an excellent show.

Any show of equal or greater quality than Cavaliers 2002 is "excellent" (notice I did not say score or placement but merely quality)

It is true that not all corps can win a championship, but it is also true that all corps have the potential to perform at the level of BD 2003. Wouldn't it be better if shows like BD 2003 were bottom-of-the-barrel?

So let me make sure I follow your premise. It looks like you are saying that any show not of equal or greater quality of Cavies 2002 is the result of members and staff not trying to do the best they can. And that all corps (at all levels, I presume) have the ability to produce a show of this quality (or BD 2003) simply by trying harder.

Not sure where to start ....

Oh, wait ... I just saw this --

At least now we know he's just a troll and can safely be ignored.

Nevermind .....

Edited by Liam

One year, I recall watching ISSMA Class D State Finals. One of the most entertaining groups in that whole class was tiny Blue River Valley. By my memory, they had only 15 members, possibly a little more in the pit and guard, but no more than 20 total. They performed The Firebird, and while they had to use some good-sized props to take up some field, they put out a great show! I was blown away by what these few high school kids could do, and the forum boards were buzzing about their performance for quite some time.

There's value in every group that is willing to put forth the effort an dedication to an activity like ours.

Either this comment is meant in total sarcasm, or you've officially become a troll. If Cavaliers 2002 is the standard before excellence is achieved, and no band can ever match that, then you're saying that no band can ever achieve excellence. Which is absolutely and totally absurd.

One year, I recall watching ISSMA Class D State Finals. One of the most entertaining groups in that whole class was tiny Blue River Valley. By my memory, they had only 15 members, possibly a little more in the pit and guard, but no more than 20 total. They performed The Firebird, and while they had to use some good-sized props to take up some field, they put out a great show! I was blown away by what these few high school kids could do, and the forum boards were buzzing about their performance for quite some time.

There's value in every group that is willing to put forth the effort an dedication to an activity like ours.

Yes, I agree. But the value of a group that puts forth effort is different than the value of a group that achieves at high levels. A group that tries very hard but does not produce an amazing show deserves respect for their efforts. But they do not deserve praise for excellent achievement.

Either this comment is meant in total sarcasm, or you've officially become a troll. If Cavaliers 2002 is the standard before excellence is achieved, and no band can ever match that, then you're saying that no band can ever achieve excellence. Which is absolutely and totally absurd.

I don't believe that is absurd. I have never seen an excellent marching band. Have you?