APD Alert: Stockton and Westminster

I'm looking forward to getting some BD when I get home.....how the heck do they sound?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, this is not a VOCALS RANT*** This is specific to the Cadets show. Cadets need to find a sound board person - IMMEDIATELY!!! The singing in the opener completely and overwhelmingly drowned out the pit. They also need to hire an acting coach. Those lines in the drum feature sound like a 7th grade production of "Our town". And those are the ones you can understand. Most of them have the distinct effect of getting mixed in with the drumming and you can't understand either of them. Again, you wouldn't have the horn going out there playing with a seventh grade sound, so why would you let the actors go without coaching them?

On another note, the drum feature kicks. The pit is the strongest one I've heard this year. I wish I could hear the feature without without the talking.

The ballad is pretty cool, too. It works for me.

***This is a vocals rant!!! They still sound like they are in a a cave compared to the rest of the corps. The technology simply does not exist to fix this at this time.

:blink::blink::worthy:

I could not agree more. I just bought this so that I could give this an objective listen and see if this would do for me what the APDs did last year (i.e., change my mind about the Cadets show; in fact, I liked the earlier versions BETTER than finals). I just don't see it this year - and for more reasons than simply that it's "amped". Namely, its that it all seems VERY disjointed - and not in an artistic way; it just sounds amatuerish. I sincerely wonder how this would fare in a blind "sound test" where listeners did not know which corps is performing it. It simply sounds poorly done. In comparison, the Blue Devils APD - well, there's just no comparison (and quite honestly, I've never been that big a fan of BD) - Blue Devils sound "put together" whereas the Cadets do not. If the Cadets (or others) want to try to innovate, the resulting production needs to be as well done as previous years, or they shouldn't get credit for it. Change for change's sake should NOT be rewarded; change that ENHANCES a performance should. This show simply should not be scoring where it is, nor should it until there's some sense of cohesion to it.

Edited by hurdra

Wow, Blue Devils are impressive! This could be the first show I actually like of theirs! :P Very well done though, in all honesty. Cavies have their work cut out for them for sure.

:blink::blink::worthy:

I could not agree more. I just bought this so that I could give this an objective listen and see if this would do for me what the APDs did last year (i.e., change my mind about the Cadets show; in fact, I liked the earlier versions BETTER than finals). I just don't see it this year - and for more reasons than simply that it's "amped". Namely, its that it all seems VERY disjointed - and not in an artistic way; it just sounds amatuerish. I sincerely wonder how this would fare in a blind "sound test" where listeners did not know which corps is performing it. It simply sounds poorly done. In comparison, the Blue Devils APD - well, there's just no comparison (and quite honestly, I've never been that big a fan of BD) - Blue Devils sound "put together" whereas the Cadets do not. If the Cadets (or others) want to try to innovate, the resulting production needs to be as well done as previous years, or they shouldn't get credit for it. Change for change's sake should NOT be rewarded; change that ENHANCES a performance should. This show simply should not be scoring where it is, nor should it until there's some sense of cohesion to it.

I agree. The vocals RUIN THIS SHOW. Pure and simple. I almost didn't want to listen to the rest of the recording after hearing what the singing did to what could have been a beautiful ballad... ugh. Do they really think it sounds good? I mean, really...

Here's to BD and Cavies!

Just finishing up my first listen to BD....talk about some goosebumps!! I've noticed though (and correct me if i'm wrong) after listening to both Cavaliers and BD, there aren't as many solos as I would have expected. And to add to that, there aren't any SCREAMERS!! Oh well though, I am extremely impressed by both the corps. Now I need to go purchase the other corps so I know what to expect at INDY.

Just finishing up my first listen to BD....talk about some goosebumps!! I've noticed though (and correct me if i'm wrong) after listening to both Cavaliers and BD, there aren't as many solos as I would have expected. And to add to that, there aren't any SCREAMERS!! Oh well though, I am extremely impressed by both the corps. Now I need to go purchase the other corps so I know what to expect at INDY.

Not many solos with BD this year. Their great soloist the past couple of years..has aged out. Don't remember his name but he had some lips..especially in 2004.

Not many solos with BD this year. Their great soloist the past couple of years..has aged out. Don't remember his name but he had some lips..especially in 2004.

I believe his name was John...though I think I am totally wrong....I remember there was two soloists with the same first name...

ya it still there and it sounds even better than on the recording.. they shortened it a bit. he played the same thing two times in a row on the cd and now he just plays it once...but he still rocks...go low brass......i really love all the subtle changes bd made to the show from the preseason cd. it helps the show flow alot more. i really like the ending but i think they can do something way cooler and im guessing that this is probably a 1st half season ending.