i figured it out

i just listened to the apd for the scades and i have figured out why they are getting those low scores. now in no way is this a trolling thread. i like the scades as i have MANY friends in it from high school. but the thing that stuck out for me in this recording is the horns and drums....with no exaggeration...this is the worst intonation i have ever heard from a div. I drum corps. It was so bad i was cringing for about 2/3 of the recording. i know this probably has a lot to do with their staffing changes (i heard the old brass tech was replaced with a 1 year veteran who is a clarinet major). but the bottom line is they just arent getting it done. i know its early in the season, but any competent musician should be able to tune a chord better than that..the drums are very very very sloppy. i saw that they got a 10.8 in perc. at the stockton show and i was thinking wow theres NO WAY. well after hearing this..WAY...i was really hoping to hear great things out of them this season after seeing some of their rep. but i was very much let down.

i just listened to the apd for the scades and i have figured out why they are getting those low scores. now in no way is this a trolling thread. i like the scades as i have MANY friends in it from high school. but the thing that stuck out for me in this recording is the horns and drums....with no exaggeration...this is the worst intonation i have ever heard from a div. I drum corps. It was so bad i was cringing for about 2/3 of the recording. i know this probably has a lot to do with their staffing changes (i heard the old brass tech was replaced with a 1 year veteran who is a clarinet major). but the bottom line is they just arent getting it done. i know its early in the season, but any competent musician should be able to tune a chord better than that..the drums are very very very sloppy. i saw that they got a 10.8 in perc. at the stockton show and i was thinking wow theres NO WAY. well after hearing this..WAY...i was really hoping to hear great things out of them this season after seeing some of their rep. but i was very much let down.

Jeez...it was their 2nd show of the season. Be kind. Everyone else practically had two weeks of shows under their belt.

i understand that..i even said that in my post.. but this intonation is beyond preseason jitters. like i said i havent ever heard even them more out of tune. even the past 3 years they have been more in tune during preseason than this..

I am very good friends with the brass staff for this year. They started the season out as techs, but because of the resignation of the caption head, they were left to do the job. I am confident that they will do just fine. They are doing the best they can, and now it is time for the hornline to step up. Oh, and the staff member that was brought up that plays clarinet also marched 2 years on baritone at the corps so he knows what he's doing.

Utaheuph wasn't trying to be mean in any way. I heard the APD this morning and have seen them live twice so far this season. I regretably agree with his post. The music is good and the tone quality of the corps for the most part is pretty solid, they just arent listening to each other and are as a result playing pretty out of tune. It is only July but at the same time, it's a hard way to start.

Final Thoughts: Still pulling for Seattle no matter what

Utaheuph wasn't trying to be mean in any way. I heard the APD this morning and have seen them live twice so far this season. I regretably agree with his post. The music is good and the tone quality of the corps for the most part is pretty solid, they just arent listening to each other and are as a result playing pretty out of tune. It is only July but at the same time, it's a hard way to start.

Final Thoughts: Still pulling for Seattle no matter what

How are their finances? Why did those staff members leave? I don't like hearing about staff leaving corps, especially up-and-comers, but I can certainly understand a staff person walking away if they are not getting paid (not saying this is the case with Seattle, just saying...)

Heck, if I manage to get a job in Washington when I'm done with my Ph.D., like I hope to, perhaps I can apply for music staff. Intonation is one of my specialties, heh heh...

If anyone hears of any nice college gigs opening up and starting in Fall of 2007 in the Pacific Northwest, throw me a heads up. :P

A lot of the staff issues have to deal with political stuff that i'm not really in the know of. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with money. The old brass caption was John Lack, who teaches at Mead High School in Spokane. He's very very good at what he does.

2 years of playing baritone makes you qualified to be the caption head of a div I Drum Corps?

Amen