Cadets APD Review

I just got done listening to the Cadets APD. I only purchased this APD because I have seen most shows via the Season Pass, YouTube, etc. I loved Cadets show last year, and was dying to hear their show, especially because of all the poor reviews it's been getting this season.

First off, let me say a few things as far as how I view the activity. A lot of people probably aren't going to like this...so if you are a "Cadets Hater" (or even if you just hate this particular show)...you might as well not bother commenting. I'd like a real, solid discussion...not bashing...thanks.

#1: I love old school Drum Corps just as much as the next guy. I loved the mid-late 90's when Corps could still pick great music, and do cool drill, and have it be very effective. Drum Corps is changing to more detailed (obvious) themes, with stories, etc.

#2: I don't know that it's a "bad" thing, but it's nice to see variety in shows now. Designers are becoming more creative, and taking a page out of the WGI book. I've been thinking for years now that DCI needs to look at how successful WGI is, and to learn something from it.

#3: With that being said, the AMP stuff, signing, props, and everything else that a lot of people hate are a part of this change. Is it a good change? We don't know yet. Will alot of people be angry with such a big change? Of course. Then again, people were angry when valves were added to horns,...when Corps started using B flat horns instead of G bugles. Were those good changes, absolutely.

So, all I'm saying here is that I am open-minded to any and all changes in this activity. After all, this is "Marching Arts." This truely is an art form.

ANYWAY...to my review:

The opening segment is pretty darn cool for me. I know about their visual idea at the beginning, and I think this moment will work well for them. The vocals here are done well with the Pit. The vocals fit the show, and set up what the show will be about.

The Opener is terrific. The music Jay B. wrote is fantastic! A lot of fast paced, upbeat, Drum Corps music. So, for anyone that doesn't like the rest of the show...ANYONE should be able to enjoy this production.

The Drum Feature is just that...no horns, just Percussion. This Production feels like a Winter Drumline show to me. It's different, it's cool, and the best part...the beats are challenging and very cool. I think once this gets cleaned up (it is still pretty darn dirty) this production will make the Cadets a LOCK for Best Percussion once again!

The Ballad was nice. I think the vocals need to be much softer in this tune, however. At least at this show...she was way too loud. Hopefully that will get fixed.

The Closing section of the show was great again. Like the Opener, it has that "Drum Corps'' feel to it. The very end is last year, but so much cooler! I freakin' love the ending!!!

All in all, I really dug the heck out of this show! YES, they are pushing the envelope with the vocals, and YES the Drum Feature is different. But, the show seems to have something for everyone. It is balanced with the "new" ideas and the "stock drum corps" ideas.

I don't know if this show will win come Finals night, as I have yet to see the Blue Devils. However, I think this show CAN win, and could possibly be better than last years' show. I don't see Cavies beating them this year. I'd say it's a 2 run battle at the top with BD and CBC.

Just a few thoughts for you all!

Is this "SNModdison any relation to the "Moddison" that taught the Cadets mello line last year?

Is this "SNModdison any relation to the "Moddison" that taught the Cadets mello line last year?

Is this horndevil as in the same horndevil on my AIM list?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw your signature

Edited by dbc03

I just got done listening to the Cadets APD. I only purchased this APD because I have seen most shows via the Season Pass, YouTube, etc. I loved Cadets show last year, and was dying to hear their show, especially because of all the poor reviews it's been getting this season.

First off, let me say a few things as far as how I view the activity. A lot of people probably aren't going to like this...so if you are a "Cadets Hater" (or even if you just hate this particular show)...you might as well not bother commenting. I'd like a real, solid discussion...not bashing...thanks.

#1: I love old school Drum Corps just as much as the next guy. I loved the mid-late 90's when Corps could still pick great music, and do cool drill, and have it be very effective. Drum Corps is changing to more detailed (obvious) themes, with stories, etc.

#2: I don't know that it's a "bad" thing, but it's nice to see variety in shows now. Designers are becoming more creative, and taking a page out of the WGI book. I've been thinking for years now that DCI needs to look at how successful WGI is, and to learn something from it.

#3: With that being said, the AMP stuff, signing, props, and everything else that a lot of people hate are a part of this change. Is it a good change? We don't know yet. Will alot of people be angry with such a big change? Of course. Then again, people were angry when valves were added to horns,...when Corps started using B flat horns instead of G bugles. Were those good changes, absolutely.

So, all I'm saying here is that I am open-minded to any and all changes in this activity. After all, this is "Marching Arts." This truely is an art form.

ANYWAY...to my review:

The opening segment is pretty darn cool for me. I know about their visual idea at the beginning, and I think this moment will work well for them. The vocals here are done well with the Pit. The vocals fit the show, and set up what the show will be about.

The Opener is terrific. The music Jay B. wrote is fantastic! A lot of fast paced, upbeat, Drum Corps music. So, for anyone that doesn't like the rest of the show...ANYONE should be able to enjoy this production.

The Drum Feature is just that...no horns, just Percussion. This Production feels like a Winter Drumline show to me. It's different, it's cool, and the best part...the beats are challenging and very cool. I think once this gets cleaned up (it is still pretty darn dirty) this production will make the Cadets a LOCK for Best Percussion once again!

The Ballad was nice. I think the vocals need to be much softer in this tune, however. At least at this show...she was way too loud. Hopefully that will get fixed.

The Closing section of the show was great again. Like the Opener, it has that "Drum Corps'' feel to it. The very end is last year, but so much cooler! I freakin' love the ending!!!

All in all, I really dug the heck out of this show! YES, they are pushing the envelope with the vocals, and YES the Drum Feature is different. But, the show seems to have something for everyone. It is balanced with the "new" ideas and the "stock drum corps" ideas.

I don't know if this show will win come Finals night, as I have yet to see the Blue Devils. However, I think this show CAN win, and could possibly be better than last years' show. I don't see Cavies beating them this year. I'd say it's a 2 run battle at the top with BD and CBC.

Just a few thoughts for you all!

I am in the same boat with you. I thoroughly enjoyed the Cadets 2005 show. And I like what I have heard from this adp, but I'm very anxious to see how it is represented visually.

You mentioned a lot of the things that I'm enjoying from this recording but I have one thing that I'm not crazy about yet:

The closer

For me, there are 2 distinct parts to this year's closer. There's the new music to this year's show, then the music from 2005's closer (Medea inspired). I like both parts, but I feel don't feel like there's an adequate transition from one to the other - I wish I could hear about 30 seconds more of the new music before it goes back into last year's ending.

And because of the length of the opener/drum feature I feel like the show is really incredibly short and that when the closer arrives I'm like, "where'd the show go?" Maybe it's different in person, but that's how I feel listening to the recording.

One thing I find interesting about the show is the beginning lyrics "They say the next big thing is here.......but to me it seems quite clear, that it's all just a little bit of history repeating." People who criticize that it's not innovative to sing and have dialogue in the show are quite correct. It's been going on for some time (history repeating)...but the Cadets are using it in a new setting for a story that hasn't been used on a DCI field before.

The use of amplifaction - not innovative...the product they create with it - innovative.

For me, the opener of this show sounds like all the numbers from the 2000 Cadets show got together and molded together to form one giant opener. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway...I am a Cadets fan...not a die-hard one...but I've enjoyed almost every single show they've put on the field (only 2004 as the exception...I just couldn't get into it) - First and foremost however I am a Drum Corps fan. And no matter how "high-tech" DCI gets with the things it allows (new horns, amps), I'll be a fan until the day that robots and cyborgs are out there marching instead of humans. If they're running sound boards, then I can live with that I guess.

I look forward to every seeing almost every corps this summer at Semi's and Finals (my first ever!!!!)

I am open to new things in drum corp, but labeling this marching arts for the sake of re-enforcing your point is hardly necessary. This is drum corp first and arts second (If that). After all, the art terminology was used originally as a way to promote the World Championships on PBS. Apparently that angle didn't work well enough to stay on PBS, and I am sure it won't work well on ESPN!