San Antonio Theory

1984 - Cadets 50th anniversary, wins DCI

1988 - Madison's 50th anniversary, wins DCI

2006 - Phantom's 50th anniversary, will win DCI

(yes, I know, Cavaliers didn't win in their 50th anniversary year of 1998. But they had a real rough year in 1997, so the power of the anniversary year gave them a boost to 4th.) :P

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT

a random little statistic:

BD won by 2 in 76, by 1.4 in 86, and tied in 96.

Theoretically, if the trend is to continue, BD will not win 06.

that is, if you believe in all of this hokie stuff.

:D

~>conner

Have Cavies really won the SA show that many times?

And have they won that show since 2000?

Have Cavies really won the SA show that many times?

And have they won that show since 2000?

Yes, the Cavaliers always come out of the gate (well, in the last decade) really clean, which boosts them ahead of a lot of corps. I don't know, I think BD is probably very strong this year, plus with people saying that BD was dirty in Indy and they still beat Cavies!!! Usually you have to be pretty clean to beat the Cavaliers. We will see, but I think BD might go undefeated this year, unless Phantom makes a surge... I just don't see that happening.

Yeah, yeah, get out your Ouija boards and slide rules and try to make your favorite midwest or east coast corps come up with the "magic" victory at finals this year. Did anyone ever wonder that BD actually has put together a show that is 1) entertaining and accessble to the audience this year and 2) that the kids themselves in BD want to win #12? Maybe you haven't been in a championship corps, but this '06 BD group SURE does look like the one I marched with in '82. Yeah, I know it's Phantom's year to win because of their "happy birthday" year and there is no other corps I'd like to see win other than BD than the Phantom Regiment. IF they had done Faust last year and American in Paris this year I think the "rule of 50" would out-trump the "rule of 6". Fortunatly for US who marched in BD, the rule of 6 might seem hokey to you but its a hype to those who are in the corps, (whether or not it is first and foremost in their thought process). Also, fortunatly for BD this year the Cavaliers aren't doing 007 this year as well and the Cadets aren't playing one of their "pick us Mr./Ms. judge because the show is just esoteric enough for you and accessable somewhat to the audience" shows. The only "theory" I see that BD looses is 1) they get bored and start playing sloppy or 2) there's too many east coast/midwest judges on Saturday night's panel which want THEIR favorite regional corps to win rather than BD . If I'm wrong, so be it-but I personally can't see them loosing with this show.

Did anyone ever wonder that BD actually has put together a show that is

1) entertaining and accessble to the audience this year

Yes, because show design seems to be BD's Achilles Heel in recent years.

2) that the kids themselves in BD want to win #12?

Yes, because none of the other corps want to win championships, either. :huh:

Maybe you haven't been in a championship corps, but this '06 BD group SURE does look like the one I marched with in '82.

I've been in a championship corps. The guys in that corps looked more or less like the guys in the other non-championship years in which I participated.

The only "theory" I see that BD looses is 1) they get bored and start playing sloppy or 2) there's too many east coast/midwest judges on Saturday night's panel which want THEIR favorite regional corps to win rather than BD. If I'm wrong, so be it-but I personally can't see them loosing with this show.

I really don't think blatantly obvious judging ever happens at finals. If makes you happy to think that your corps has lost in the past or will in the future because of such a thing happening, rather than the fact that other corps have simply been better or will be better, well...that's your prerogative.

I'm still waiting for the Kansas University men's basketball team to win the national championship, 'cause you know who wins DCI everytime they do...

I think SCV is going to win because Italy won the World Cup.

:huh:

Hey - every trend has to start somewhere......