Seattle WA, July 8 2006

It was a beautiful evening in Seattle, and the Shoreline stadium seemed like a good venue for a small corps show. We got a bit cheated in terms of top corps in Seattle this year - I wasn't the only fan eagerly waiting to get home and see the Indianapolis scores, I'm sure! Our seats were on the 40 yrd line, quite low - although it's a small stadium and you could clearly hear the GE judges talking into their tape recorders 10 rows or so behind us. My standard disclaimer is that I'm more a brass guy than a percussion guy, so take my comments accordingly.

Spokane Thunder - Better than I expected. They had a pretty solid sound, even bottom heavy at times. It was nice to hear Holsinger's Ballet Sacra at the end of their show, and it was pretty well played. They have a miniscule guard - 5 people IIRC - but they made an effort. They had speakers in front of their pit, but perhaps they weren't working? At one point in, seemingly, a pit feature (battery wasn't playing) you could see the hands moving but couldn't hear anything. It was honestly the first time I've wanted someone to turn UP the volume on the amps!

Oregon Crusaders - Now this was a pleasant surprise. They have a very full horn sound, get quite a lot of volume, and generally played quite well. The show is two original compositions by the brass arranger, one by Saucedo of the Cavies, and one by Eric Whitacre - so quite a modern package of music, but they handled it quite well throughout. Both the original compositions had some nicely played brass solos. They also fielded a reasonable sized guard - and you won't miss them in bright purple vs the corps green jackets! Pretty good guard work too, especially the rifles and sabres in the second half of the show. Solid show all around.

Blue Knights - The whole show is the Barber Piano Concerto, and it's quite captivating. Lots of body movement in the horns - they hardly ever just get to stand at attention and play. The guard also draws your attention with a lot of dance and body work, as well as the painted flags. There's a particularly effective section where only the pit plays, and the horns/drums swirl around a solo guard dancer. Overall, it's a dark and intense show. The pit is particularly noteworthy, and does a really good job of playing the "piano" in the sections where they are featured. We didn't have a very good perspective on the drill, but they certainly seemed to be moving a lot. Excellent show, my favorite from BK in quite a while. I certainly expect to see them on Saturday night in Madison.

Cascades - Well, to start with the positives, they were better than Spokane Thunder. Seriously, this is a very weak effort from the Cascades design staff. It's like an 11 minute impact-free-zone. The kids don't completely get off the hook. I though the brass playing was also pretty weak, with a lot of intonation problems, a lot of fracked entrances, and not a lot of convincing volume. It's hard to believe that the Cascades fielded a finalist corps just 4 years ago. I'm sure it will be more convincing when they get some more shows under their belt, but it's really hard to see them making semis this year.

Vanguard - This show marks a return to the style of music and show design that I enjoyed so much from SCV in the first part of this decade. The whole show is a Key Poulan composition "Moto Perpetua", and perpetual motion is a pretty good description of the visual presentation as well. The cymbal line's interpretation of perpetual motion between movements was particularly fun. The second movement was probably my favorite - with the corps spread over most of the field, but doing a good job of maintaining ensemble as different parts entered from different parts of the field. There was also some cool staging in the third movement, with two choirs of drums in circles on opposite sides of the field. The guard was the best of the night - they were well integrated with the corps, and had a lot of exposed work that was timed to match the musical impact points. The brass has a lot of visual and staging demands, but generally is giving a good presentation of a difficult book - and they still had plenty of power at the climax of the show. The drill seemed very fast paced, but we sat too low to really read much of their forms.

They're still a bit sloppy both in marching and playing, but I'm sure that will clean up as the summer goes on. I think SCV is probably a bit under-rated with this show right now, and I expect them to be a solid top 5 contender once they get back east and go head to head with Phantom, Madison, Crown, etc.

We didn't bother to stay for the "Fanfare of Champions". Having heard it once, I can say it's one of the most effective techniques DCI has ever employed to get fans headed to the parking lot rather than applauding the performers.

It was a beautiful evening in Seattle, and the Shoreline stadium seemed like a good venue for a small corps show. We got a bit cheated in terms of top corps in Seattle this year - I wasn't the only fan eagerly waiting to get home and see the Indianapolis scores, I'm sure! Our seats were on the 40 yrd line, quite low - although it's a small stadium and you could clearly hear the GE judges talking into their tape recorders 10 rows or so behind us. My standard disclaimer is that I'm more a brass guy than a percussion guy, so take my comments accordingly.

Spokane Thunder - Better than I expected. They had a pretty solid sound, even bottom heavy at times. It was nice to hear Holsinger's Ballet Sacra at the end of their show, and it was pretty well played. They have a miniscule guard - 5 people IIRC - but they made an effort. They had speakers in front of their pit, but perhaps they weren't working? At one point in, seemingly, a pit feature (battery wasn't playing) you could see the hands moving but couldn't hear anything. It was honestly the first time I've wanted someone to turn UP the volume on the amps!

Oregon Crusaders - Now this was a pleasant surprise. They have a very full horn sound, get quite a lot of volume, and generally played quite well. The show is two original compositions by the brass arranger, one by Saucedo of the Cavies, and one by Eric Whitacre - so quite a modern package of music, but they handled it quite well throughout. Both the original compositions had some nicely played brass solos. They also fielded a reasonable sized guard - and you won't miss them in bright purple vs the corps green jackets! Pretty good guard work too, especially the rifles and sabres in the second half of the show. Solid show all around.

Blue Knights - The whole show is the Barber Piano Concerto, and it's quite captivating. Lots of body movement in the horns - they hardly ever just get to stand at attention and play. The guard also draws your attention with a lot of dance and body work, as well as the painted flags. There's a particularly effective section where only the pit plays, and the horns/drums swirl around a solo guard dancer. Overall, it's a dark and intense show. The pit is particularly noteworthy, and does a really good job of playing the "piano" in the sections where they are featured. We didn't have a very good perspective on the drill, but they certainly seemed to be moving a lot. Excellent show, my favorite from BK in quite a while. I certainly expect to see them on Saturday night in Madison.

Cascades - Well, to start with the positives, they were better than Spokane Thunder. Seriously, this is a very weak effort from the Cascades design staff. It's like an 11 minute impact-free-zone. The kids don't completely get off the hook. I though the brass playing was also pretty weak, with a lot of intonation problems, a lot of fracked entrances, and not a lot of convincing volume. It's hard to believe that the Cascades fielded a finalist corps just 4 years ago. I'm sure it will be more convincing when they get some more shows under their belt, but it's really hard to see them making semis this year.

Vanguard - This show marks a return to the style of music and show design that I enjoyed so much from SCV in the first part of this decade. The whole show is a Key Poulan composition "Moto Perpetua", and perpetual motion is a pretty good description of the visual presentation as well. The cymbal line's interpretation of perpetual motion between movements was particularly fun. The second movement was probably my favorite - with the corps spread over most of the field, but doing a good job of maintaining ensemble as different parts entered from different parts of the field. There was also some cool staging in the third movement, with two choirs of drums in circles on opposite sides of the field. The guard was the best of the night - they were well integrated with the corps, and had a lot of exposed work that was timed to match the musical impact points. The brass has a lot of visual and staging demands, but generally is giving a good presentation of a difficult book - and they still had plenty of power at the climax of the show. The drill seemed very fast paced, but we sat too low to really read much of their forms.

They're still a bit sloppy both in marching and playing, but I'm sure that will clean up as the summer goes on. I think SCV is probably a bit under-rated with this show right now, and I expect them to be a solid top 5 contender once they get back east and go head to head with Phantom, Madison, Crown, etc.

We didn't bother to stay for the "Fanfare of Champions". Having heard it once, I can say it's one of the most effective techniques DCI has ever employed to get fans headed to the parking lot rather than applauding the performers.

Thanks for the review. You saw the show pretty much the same way myself, and the people I was with saw it!

So..................How was the opening act? :)

We got to our seats just as Brass Attack was finishing. I heard Malaguena from the ticket booth. I guess you guys were on before the published show start time? Anyhow, sounded good to me! My fiancee was teasing me that I should buy a horn off Ebay and start practicing.

• 3 weeks later...
So..................How was the opening act? :)

Steve congrats on the new gig. You flying out to Madison?

RB

We got to our seats just as Brass Attack was finishing. I heard Malaguena from the ticket booth. I guess you guys were on before the published show start time? Anyhow, sounded good to me! My fiancee was teasing me that I should buy a horn off Ebay and start practicing.

I've got a horn for you.

Steve -

I am heading out tonight via RED EYE and will be with them in MC hopefully for a block and see whats up before the show.

They really are coming together at a good time.

When you coming out?

RB