Suprised

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Two reasons:

1) How do you differentiate between a dropped triple and a dropped five?

2) How can you penalize an intentional drop?

What needs to happen is that execution should be emphasized a bit more within the current system...visually, anyway. I think execution is emphasized on the musical side.

I'm not well versed in the ways of the guard, so I assume "three" and "five" refer to how many 360s the rifle/sabre/flag does.

From the spectator's standpoint, it doesn't matter. A drop is a drop, whether it completes three, five, seven, nine, however many rotations.

I'm not well versed in the ways of the guard, so I assume "three" and "five" refer to how many 360s the rifle/sabre/flag does.

From the spectator's standpoint, it doesn't matter. A drop is a drop, whether it completes three, five, seven, nine, however many rotations.

Problem is, if you are penalized for a drop no matter how high the toss, then corps will stop doing the more dangerous tosses, depriving the spectators from some the "wow" moments we get now. Get your point, but it cuts both way.

Problem is, if you are penalized for a drop no matter how high the toss, then corps will stop doing the more dangerous tosses, depriving the spectators from some the "wow" moments we get now. Get your point, but it cuts both way.

Yeah, I do see what you mean. I love when the guard does a huge toss, but I always feel bad when there's a drop. I think everyone agrees. You just kinda wince.

What was meant by an "intentional drop"? Like to just toss it but make no effort to catch it? I've never seen an intentional drop, and I don't think anyone's writing a show where the guard is supposed to bobble the rifle and then let it slip to the ground. Maybe if the Velvet Knights were still around.

Yeah, I do see what you mean. I love when the guard does a huge toss, but I always feel bad when there's a drop. I think everyone agrees. You just kinda wince.

What was meant by an "intentional drop"? Like to just toss it but make no effort to catch it? I've never seen an intentional drop, and I don't think anyone's writing a show where the guard is supposed to bobble the rifle and then let it slip to the ground. Maybe if the Velvet Knights were still around.

Yeah, I was confused by that one, too. But what do I know -- I'm just a dumb drummer B)

...and that wince is felt by the judges and is reflected accordingly (on a guard sheet or GE sheet). Maybe not as a "tick", but it's considered in the overall score.

When you toss a piece of equipment with no intention of catching it. It's been done in DCI on several occasions, and was done at the very ending of 2005's DCA Champions.