Suprised

i was looking at the ranks of how people did , http://dci.jamesmeister.com/div1.php <--- there, and i noticed that a large ammonut of the corps had a lower score yesterday. Would playing in a dome effect your score or was it just a bad day.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was just the fact that there was finally a good bit of competition, you can't score some corps too high knowing that the big boys are still coming up

I dont think it was a bad day or the dome. When there are more corps at a show the scores are usually going to be different. If a really good corps goes on early they are usually given a lower score so that the judges dont back themselves into a corner. Cavies went on fourth from the end and they were great but the judges had to leave room in their scores in case madison, cadets and blue devils were all signifigantly better. Take a look at the difference between quarters, semis, and finals. There are less corps on each succesive night and the scores and spreads go all over the place. In the end all that matters is the placement.....IMO that is

take 98 for example

last show before nationals (jacksonville): Very Few corps and BD gets pounded by Cadets

Quarterfinals: A lot of corps and we see that BD & SCV tie while Cadets are about a point behind both of them

Semi's: 18 corps (still quite a few) and Cadets squeak out a win over Bd and SCV is third

Finals: 12 corps and Cadets Mudered everyone with SCV a distant second and BD third

I think one big factor in the scores was that the Cavies went on earlier than they should have.

I think one big factor in the scores was that the Cavies went on earlier than they should have.

Nah. I've never bought that argument.

Judges can easily deal with jumbled perfromance order. It's not rocket science.

I do think it slights the fans to a degree, and the "lesser" corps that have to follow the "powerhouse" corps, but I don't believe for a second that it has much effect on final scores.

Nah. I've never bought that argument.

Judges can easily deal with jumbled perfromance order. It's not rocket science.

I do think it slights the fans to a degree, and the "lesser" corps that have to follow the "powerhouse" corps, but I don't believe for a second that it has much effect on final scores.

It does....Judges talk about it all the time

It does....Judges talk about it all the time

That's surprising. Especially when you consider that it happens all the time in DCA and in various marching band circuits across the country. I know it's common in the circuits I judge in.

It's not exactly easy to do, but it's a skill you better have before you start judging.

For the record, I've had this discussion with several DCI judges, and i've never heard one of them complain about it.

For the record, I've had this discussion with several DCI judges, and i've never heard one of them complain about it.

I don't think a judge is going to go on the record saying that order of appearance doesn't matter.

From one Cavalier alumnus to one Blue Devil Alumnus, I'd be delighted if the Blue Devils would volunteer to go on first at DCI finals. After all, It really doesn't matter.

Or does it????

John Leo

Cavalier Former Marching Member 1974 -1977

I don't think a judge is going to go on the record saying that order of appearance doesn't matter.

From one Cavalier alumnus to one Blue Devil Alumnus, I'd be delighted if the Blue Devils would volunteer to go on first at DCI finals. After all, It really doesn't matter.

Or does it????

John Leo

Cavalier Former Marching Member 1974 -1977

Well, the tin-hat brigade certainly claimed it hurt BD and helped Scouts in 1988 (frankly, I think there was fishy stuff going on that summer that went way beyond the performance order and judging).

I will never advocate random performance order, but not because of judging concerns. I think it is unfair to the fans, and it really hurts the "not quite as good" corps that has to follow a BD or a Cavaliers performance. I believe that the better corps should go on later in the show.

this should be an easy stats problem. Just take a marching band circuit that does random orders (like ISMA, for example) and see if there is a statistical significance to the correlation between placement and order of appearance. If there is statistical significance it can be argued that order of appearance matters.

Anyone want to try this? I don't have the time to do the research required.