Academy

Everyone that criticizes The Academy's show content keep making the mistake of comparing it to Division 1 show content. They are competing in Division 2 and their show is written accordingly. Except that their design places the "music" in the leading role insead of the visual. Just maybe that's why they are connecting so well with all the audiences? My favorite shows of all time are from the 1980's when the visual was still in support of the music. Today the music is just a background sound track to the visual.

Remember too that part of the hype is that this is only their third year in competition and they fielded a full 135 member corps in only their second year. I can only think of two other corps that had a faster rise to prominence, the Blue Devils of the early 1970's and the Star of Indiana of the mid 1980's. They have also been the highest scoring Division 2 corps at every show they have EVER competed in, so apparently the judges like them too! Last time I checked it was the judges that decided the final placements.

But if I were the top Division 2 corps in the east, I would be worrying about Blue Devils "B" right now. They have the strongest show and are the best I have ever seen them. I am figuring that they will probably take second place in the Div 2 Finals, right behind The Academy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I have to comment on this one.

I went to 2 socal shows and it was clear that, if they were in Div 1, the Academy would place just a bit lower than the Blue Knights.

too bad that BK's have an 80+ are are in 8th-ish. and academy would be roughly getting a 70 right now which places them into 17th if theyre lucky..

just a little behind eh?? 10 points is a bit much for a little

They have also been the highest scoring Division 2 corps at every show they have EVER competed in, so apparently the judges like them too!

That's a great thing to be able to say that. However, Academy has only met with one corps from last year's Top 5, Impulse. They did very well against them, outscoring Impulse by 9.8 points. Don't forget though that this was the third to last show Academy had that season, so it was very close to when their show was designed to peak. Impulse still had 11 shows to compete in. So saying they're the highest scoring corps at every show they've been at won't mean much until they come head to head with the big guys back east.

Just my two cents.

I hate to add the the insane hype (and flaming which is sure to follow), but, this person speaks the truth. I went to 2 shows where that featured The Academy and the Blue Knights (who are currently in 8th). I would say The Academy is right on par with BK.

:worthy:

Disclaimer: I love ECJ and Spartans. Please don't hurt me. :worthy:

Up until the last 2 shows Academy did in July, OC was actually outperforming Academy...if you view the recaps...line for line, with the exception of brass...so I think OC is definitely in the running!! Those 9.10's are what took them into the Div I realm!!

Their show would be a lot better if they cut out the first 6 minutes.

Actually it was pretty unremarkable until the last minute and half. And even when it got to the point, I'm not sure how much extremely dirty runs and doubletonguing impress me. Maybe I'm just picky?

And I honestly can't believe that that is what all the hype's about.

Edited by Geoff

That's a great thing to be able to say that. However, Academy has only met with one corps from last year's Top 5, Impulse. They did very well against them, outscoring Impulse by 9.8 points. Don't forget though that this was the third to last show Academy had that season, so it was very close to when their show was designed to peak. Impulse still had 11 shows to compete in. So saying they're the highest scoring corps at every show they've been at won't mean much until they come head to head with the big guys back east.

Just my two cents.

Nope, they also went up against Fever in the very first west coast show of the summer last year and out scored them by 12 points. Fever finished 4th at finals if you remember. If you go back to June 19, 2004 in their "debut" competitive performance, they out scored three corps that finished in the top 8 at the Div 2 Finals, including Vanguard Cadets, who finished 3rd just 2 points behind the Spartans. You've got to have something special going on to take kids with no competitive experience and do that!

Their show would be a lot better if they cut out the first 6 minutes.

Actually it was pretty unremarkable until the last minute and half. And even when it got to the point, I'm not sure how much extremely dirty runs and doubletonguing impress me. Maybe I'm just picky?

And I honestly can't believe that that is what all the hype's about.

See their show live and tell us what you believe. Digicam videos are decieving.

I think I'm done posting about the Academy. In a few years we'll see if the hype was right.

They're good. Okay? Sorry for pointing it out.

See their show live and tell us what you believe. Digicam videos are decieving.

I think I'm done posting about the Academy. In a few years we'll see if the hype was right.

They're good. Okay? Sorry for pointing it out.

seriously...go see it live

and wheres all these other shows that are supposed so great...lets see some videos of them...

i would but i cant be in 2 places at once.. sorry for the inconvenience

hmm academy (""all mighty and powerfull"") Vs. impulse & fever (good 5th and 6th place corps)~~ i wonder whey theyre beating up on them.

comparing last years battle between academy vs. impulse & fever, and then comparing how theyre doing against them this year.. is #1 dumb!!! #2 its not last years corps.

corps have rebuilding years and may not be doing as well in membership or other aspects of the organization... its not fair to compare the 2

Edited by erictuba16

seriously...go see it live

and wheres all these other shows that are supposed so great...lets see some videos of them...

have you gotten out much?, you seem to have your angry pants on. i just dont think going to a show and saying this is the corps to beat is the wisest thing to do.

thats kinda grandma & and grandpa-ish dont ya think??