Academy

Are you done boasting about Academy yet? Get over yourself. You march a Division 2 corps that plays generic drum corps shows with mediocre writing and mediocre performance. No one's world is going to be changed by "danzon!" (sorry, I'm too lazy to do the cute double-exclamation points or the accent over the o). Your corps is good. It is nowhere near great. It will take a lot of work and a long time for it to be great, or anyhwere near great.

Go practice. Or if you don't feel like practicing, maybe go learn how to type. Or write. Or read. Those skills are kind of useful.

Let me see and hear YOU do their show...specifically #### near the entire brass line double tonguing on the move....at speed.

I've shouted out "Send in your ring sizes" at a couple of shows...and I'm dead serious about it. if ECJ or another Div II cors beats them for the ring, great....but they'll have to earn it...for that mater, so will Academy, but AA's got a very strong program to contend with.

And in case you haven't noticed, there are a LOT of people boasting abot AA...do I think they could make top 12 in Div I? Not just yet...but I DO see them in semis.

If you don't like people hyping on them, why don't you hype someone else?? I've seen AA several times...they AR the real deal...have been for several years.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you done boasting about Academy yet? Get over yourself. You march a Division 2 corps that plays generic drum corps shows with mediocre writing and mediocre performance. No one's world is going to be changed by "danzon!" (sorry, I'm too lazy to do the cute double-exclamation points or the accent over the o). Your corps is good. It is nowhere near great. It will take a lot of work and a long time for it to be great, or anyhwere near great.

Go practice. Or if you don't feel like practicing, maybe go learn how to type. Or write. Or read. Those skills are kind of useful.

And you tell this kid to "Get over himself"???? By your statement you must be claiming that ALL Division 2 corps are mediocre! Are you sure you want to go there? Must ALL corps be compared to Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets in order to be called successful? No corps, except a VERY small handful of maybe 3 or 4, can be! Have you really become THAT jaded? Your response makes you look like the one that needs to go out and learn a few things.... :rock:

Is there a recording of them?

Link removed due to copyright issues... GJ

Edited by Geoff

Well put...because we all know that most other corps are not here to win, and instead just here for the money. :worthy:

I do, however, feel its safe to say that they have a commanding lead over their competitors and are heading for the title. I'll stick to my original story and say they don't really belong in the division as far as competition is concerned (what competition have they been up against exactly? If a corps comes within 4 points before finals week then you may prove me wrong, but as of right now they have no competition).

I'd like some clarification on the Academy's show quantity so far this season....I've only seen 5 scores for them on DCI. And they are jumping in 3.2 to 4.15 increments????!!! And doing that on July 9th after not performing a corps competition for over 2 weeks???

Incredible if not a bit odd....

:worthy:

I'd like some clarification on the Academy's show quantity so far this season....I've only seen 5 scores for them on DCI. And they are jumping in 3.2 to 4.15 increments????!!! And doing that on July 9th after not performing a corps competition for over 2 weeks???

Incredible if not a bit odd....

:worthy:

The rest of AA's summer. According to their website.... double checked against DCI calendar and removed shows not competing at.

July

12 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

13 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

14 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

15-23 Week Off

24 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

25 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

26 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

27 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

28 9am-10pm Rehearsal Location TBA

29 9am-10pm SCC Show #2 Glendale Community College

30 Nationals Tour Location TBA

31 Nationals Tour Travel/Rehearsal Location TBA

August

1 Nationals Tour Texas Show Frisco, TX

2 Nationals Tour Arkansas Show Van Buren, AR

3 Nationals Tour Tennessee Show Jackson, TN

4 Nationals Tour Travel/Rehearsal Location TBA

5 Nationals Tour Michigan City Show Location TBA

6 Nationals Tour LaCrosse Show Location TBA

7 Nationals Tour Travel/Rehearsal Location TBA

8 Nationals Tour Div. II/III Prelims Location TBA

9 Nationals Tour Rehearsal/I&E Location TBA

10 Nationals Tour Rehearsal Location TBA

11 Nationals Tour Div. II Semi-Finals Location TBA

12 Nationals Tour DCI Finals Location TBA

13 Nationals Tour Travel Day Location TBA

14 Nationals Tour Travel Day-Home Location TBA

Ok...This is getting old. Why must people keep making posts about how far ahead AA is from spartans ecj OC..ect. This is getting old. You will not be able to tell what they are going to do untill they meet on the same field....Not on diff fields on oppisite coasts with different judging styles(some what) The people who are putting up these post are getting anoying and are looking like idiots to me so lets cut the crap people. I watched AA's show and truthfuly i got bored and i didnt get it...i watched ECJ's show and it was awsome...verry good...havn't seen OC but should be awosome...Then there is spartans i will have to say AMAZING Their balad is AWSOME...love the mello solo and its so intense...so it should be all around a good year for DCi

Edited by Dark

im not sorry for this statement of whoever's feeling i hurt but all i can think of after listening to that video is 80's drum corps...i know there will be those that argue the quallity of the video and sound.. this is beyond that.

as for drill... as an over all picture of flow in design... umm yea id rather eat paste.

the only thing saving this show is the closer, and what drill they have is pretty clean for this time of year... i dont like much about the show, and watched and pondered why???? ..yes i almost cried (not joyfully.. more out of pain)

if i saw them in semis it would be a squeeker

yes my statements are harsh it it may compare to salt in the wounds of others.... i dont care, let them talk for themselves. if they got it theyll bring it... over hyped in my oppinion. i could see them scoreing about 3-4 points lower than they are.

thats all the end oh and you can hate me all you want.. cause it wont matter much

Edited by janet2k2

if i saw them in semis it would be a squeeker

Sorry but I have to comment on this one.

I went to 2 socal shows and it was clear that, if they were in Div 1, the Academy would place just a bit lower than the Blue Knights.

:ramd:

okay, i'll admit it. there's one thing i don't like about academy this year. (and this will turn this thread just about identical to several over on general discussions)

they amp the pit. zomg, end of world. not really. with all the cool auxiliary percussion effects, it helps a lot i think. example of amps done well (and no singing! huzzah!), and acceptable use in my book.

OK I've seen Academy perform and I will say that if you were only to judge the last 2-3 minutes of the show that they would win hands down. I'm not sold on the visual design (demand, guard involvement) for the rest of the show besides the closer, though. I'd say that the members are performing at a high level, but the show design will catch up to them in the end.