Hohw far do you travel?

How far do you travel to be a member of a senior/alumni corps?

I ask because many corps have relaxed rehearsal schedules that would allow someone to make a commute. Airfare can often be as cheap as $30 one-way with airlines like Southwest or Jet Blue, which is less than a tank of gas for most people.

p.s. sorry for the typo in the topic headline. It's a hundred degrees and my keys are sticky :worthy:

Edited by mbiquad2001

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 miles to Garfield for the Skyliner Alumni

30 miles or so to Bayonne for the Bridgemen

and....

3000 miles to the Renegades

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

2 hours from Philadelphia to Baltimore and 2 hours back. Getting very costly due to fuel prices and tolls so we try to carpool with members from South Jersey. The tolls kill ya!

6 hours from Erie to Reading, the guy next to me has 7 hours from Dublin OH.

1,210 miles EACH WAY. From Jarrell, Texas to Racine, Wisconsin. Fortunately I've rigged it so I only had to make the drive 6 times this season. Maybe 7 times if I drive to the banquet.

Cost wise, it just made more sense given that air faire was much more than gas, especially if you throw in the alternative means of transport once at your destination. Even at $3.00 per gallon, driving was still cheaper than flying. Originally I had planned on driving only two times, but air faire was so outrageous, I opted to drive instead. Partially aided by a new car that gets 30+mpg. Plus midwest gas prices are still $0.10 to $0.20 less than the national average for most of the trek. And a sometimes carpooler from Arkansas. Plus NO TOLLS, until you get to Chicago. And there's ways to avoid those tolls.

The schedule allowed me to drive once a month from January until May. And I would have only driven once in may had I gotten my stuff together in time to make the temporary move till labor day. Of course I wouldn't have been able to do any of it, if it weren't for GrandPa's money and a lack of employment, and debt.

between 1.5 -2 hours each way .... depending on exactly where rehearsal is

In 1999 and 2000, 2 of my friends and I used to travel by bus 10 hours to get to Syracuse. That's 5 hours from Riviere-du-Loup (small city up North) to Montreal, then change bus and 5 hours from Montreal to Syracuse. 20 hours total of traveling every camp. I was actually spending more hours in the bus then rehearsing with the corps!

In 2001 I moved to Montreal, cuting the traveling in half.

Today, for some reason, I am a little sick of traveling... lol