Hop Blog Update

It seems to me that the Cadets still have a very loyal following, and having seen them it was clear to me that they are entertaining many fans in the stands. Which fans have the Cadets "grated" against? Obviously you are one of them, and you have a right to be, but are you speaking for all of us? Are you considering DCP to be the majority of fans? Are you believing every word you read in those reviews?

And I am not saying that those things may not be indicative of who things "really" are. But the FACT is that the Cadets still have one of the most loyal fan bases in the entire activity. Regardless of why this is the case, it is true. My entertainment is not your entertainment, and my idea of drum corps is not your idea of drum corps. So be it. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that some of us are not going to get our way all the time. Perhaps it really means that all of us will only get our way some of the time. For those of you looking for drum corps to be like it was in the good old days, please remember that people were complaining about anything and everything in the "Good Old Days" of this activity...whatever time period that was.

I am only speaking for myself and others who have expressed similar views.
I agree with most of this. But I doubt that Hop and the Cadets chased many of the fans away. We have lost fans and corps for various reasons, most of which have nothing to do with show design or style or beliefs. And GH has never actually said that he doesn't mind if you walk out the door. I am pretty sure he regrets it if you do, but you are infering this from his remarks over the years. I can't find one quote where he ever said such a thing. Maybe I am wrong. You are right though, change things too fast and it can lead to a very dangerous situation. But also keep this in mind, DCI is waaaaayyyyyyy behind the marching band activity when it comes to electronics and other bells and whistles. I think DCI held out for a long time. Bands have been using that stuff since the late 80s, and I realize DCI does not need to copy bands, but the fads and cultural fabric that is today's generation of students is bound to catch up at some point. There are a lot of kids marching these shows, and I think they probably like it--a lot. They should have a say too.

Jonathan

Again, I leave the Cadets out of the picture as they take the direction Hop tells them. I do not hold that against the corps in the slightest. It is the man's vision that upsets me. GH has specifically said that he "loves" the legacy fan but if they leave, so be it. He has no interest in slowing down in order to keep more of the old, loyal, supporting folks around. I think that is a dangerous attitude. If DCI were to choose not to use electronics, it does not mean they are behind anything. It would mean they choose to use what has worked best to maintain the growth of the fan base. There is room to please yesterday's and today's fan base, IMO.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only speaking for myself and others who have expressed similar views.

Again, I leave the Cadets out of the picture as they take the direction Hop tells them. I do not hold that against the corps in the slightest. It is the man's vision that upsets me. GH has specifically said that he "loves" the legacy fan but if they leave, so be it. He has no interest in slowing down in order to keep more of the old, loyal, supporting folks around. I think that is a dangerous attitude. If DCI were to choose not to use electronics, it does not mean they are behind anything. It would mean they choose to use what has worked best to maintain the growth of the fan base. There is room to please yesterday's and today's fan base, IMO.

That room includes electronics.

They are coming long before WW, IMO.

I say "good" to not slowing down. It's slow enough already, as it took what, a dozen years, to get amps passed?

Weren't you a "Bando at one point to?"

I will always be a bando, but I will also always be an alumnus of a corps too.

Perhaps your drum corps experience has made you jaded, but if you marched, you sat in the stands once before you marched, and if you did march, then you know how important it is to be fan friendly.

Darn skippy I was a bando.... In fact, I'm a band director now, So I teach those bandos. Those kids getting introduced to drumcorps every year LOVE IT! They love what they see, they don't care about change because they don't know about what drumcorps USED TO be like. They will replace you! I'm not jaded.....just against the "fans" who have nothing better to do than come on a bulletin board and post hateful and hurtful comments about a show that kids spend thousand of hours and dollars perfecting. JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE IT....well too bad...watch the Bluecoats and shut the #@$# up :) That's my whole complaint in a nutshell.

Edited by DCImonkey

I stand by my opinion....DCI is an educational experience for the kids
I have posted this before but I'll do it again...my middle school (as in educational institution) band teacher (as in educator) taught (as in educated) us this simple fact..."We do not play what I want. We do not play what you want. We play what THEY want."

They? The only they I follow with my band kids is the NC Standard Course of Study. I teach what is in that and I pick the music that I (me) want them to play so that they can have a well rounded education.

Your band director sounds like Scott Stewart :)

They? The only they I follow with my band kids is the NC Standard Course of Study. I teach what is in that and I pick the music that I (me) want them to play so that they can have a well rounded education.

Your band director sounds like Scott Stewart :)

Nope, Frank Russo. So, I guess you don't think he gave us a good education then, huh? :rock::rock::rock:

Nah, I don't doubt that. If he had students that went on to do drumcorps, he must've done something right. I'm just saying, in today's educational setting I am not at liberty to "choose what they want". Besides, it's hard to find good arrangements of rap music. :) I'm a slave to the NCSCOS

Nah, I don't doubt that. If he had students that went on to do drumcorps, he must've done something right. I'm just saying, in today's educational setting I am not at liberty to "choose what they want". Besides, it's hard to find good arrangements of rap music. :) I'm a slave to the NCSCOS
So, there is nothing wrong with teaching kids to play what the audience wants, correct? Hop seems to want to redefine the audience, year after year. It doesn't have to be that way. Some of the greatest musical organizations have been around for longer than drum corps and have inducted far fewer changes. They please the young and the old and will continue to do so. Why doesn't DCI want to use this proven strategy?

So, there is nothing wrong with teaching kids to play what the audience wants, correct? Hop seems to want to redefine the audience, year after year. It doesn't have to be that way. Some of the greatest musical organizations have been around for longer than drum corps and have inducted far fewer changes. They please the young and the old and will continue to do so. Why doesn't DCI want to use this proven strategy?

Who says they don't? And..look at recent Cadet shows...say...this century...lot's of "just fun" music...heck this year's opening is a tune I played in the Cadets in 1970.

I'm not jaded.....just against the "fans" who have nothing better to do than come on a bulletin board and post hateful and hurtful comments about a show that kids spend thousand of hours and dollars perfecting.

And apparently you don't have anything better to do but come on a bulletin board to post against those who post the hateful..etc

Your use of quotes for the word fan is insulting....I'm a fan as is everyone on this board...if we weren't fans, we wouldn't be here making our voices heard no matter whose side we're on