Hop Blog Update

Good for Hop! I haven't liked everything the Cadets have ever done.... 2004 was just a mess.... but he basically called you guys out.

You ##### and whine and complain so much, it just becomes a joke. Drumcorps isn't for you. It's for 135 kids in each corps. If you choose to spend money to see them.....that's your problem. You are there to enjoy what they bring,....they aren't there to serve you.

I absolutely HATE drumcorps fans. BOO! You all suck

I disagree with these statements to a certain extent. Drum corps is for the members AND the fans that support them. When an organization choosed to take a direction that grates against a following that has been loyal and dedicated supporters, it hurts.

As far as Hoppy "calling us out," I disagree with what he says as well. I do not hate the Cadets. I do not hate him. I do not like his vision of drum corps and where he wants it to go. He still has the right to follow it, but he shouldn't get mad at the legacy fans when he tells us that he loves us but he is quite willing to watch us walk out the door. Change is always going to happen. Changing too fast can be a dangerous thing. If he implemented his changes at a MUCH slower rate, I think you would still see a lot more people in the stands, less people griping about it, and people still looking at the Cadets as cutting edge. I don't thinik Hop understands that.

"HATE" is a very strong word.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said you had to enjoy it...but if you don't.....stop complaining about it ....DON'T COME!!! And leave the good seats for my fat ### to sit in...i might enjoy them.
OK

As I have seen, there are good seats available at many shows. Just remember, the legacy fans never asked or told newer fans not to come. It is you folks who tell us to get out. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

I disagree with these statements to a certain extent. Drum corps is for the members AND the fans that support them. When an organization choosed to take a direction that grates against a following that has been loyal and dedicated supporters, it hurts.

It seems to me that the Cadets still have a very loyal following, and having seen them it was clear to me that they are entertaining many fans in the stands. Which fans have the Cadets "grated" against? Obviously you are one of them, and you have a right to be, but are you speaking for all of us? Are you considering DCP to be the majority of fans? Are you believing every word you read in those reviews?

And I am not saying that those things may not be indicative of who things "really" are. But the FACT is that the Cadets still have one of the most loyal fan bases in the entire activity. Regardless of why this is the case, it is true. My entertainment is not your entertainment, and my idea of drum corps is not your idea of drum corps. So be it. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that some of us are not going to get our way all the time. Perhaps it really means that all of us will only get our way some of the time. For those of you looking for drum corps to be like it was in the good old days, please remember that people were complaining about anything and everything in the "Good Old Days" of this activity...whatever time period that was.

As far as Hoppy "calling us out," I disagree with what he says as well. I do not hate the Cadets. I do not hate him. I do not like his vision of drum corps and where he wants it to go. He still has the right to follow it, but he shouldn't get mad at the legacy fans when he tells us that he loves us but he is quite willing to watch us walk out the door. Change is always going to happen. Changing too fast can be a dangerous thing. If he implemented his changes at a MUCH slower rate, I think you would still see a lot more people in the stands, less people griping about it, and people still looking at the Cadets as cutting edge. I don't thinik Hop understands that.

I agree with most of this. But I doubt that Hop and the Cadets chased many of the fans away. We have lost fans and corps for various reasons, most of which have nothing to do with show design or style or beliefs. And GH has never actually said that he doesn't mind if you walk out the door. I am pretty sure he regrets it if you do, but you are infering this from his remarks over the years. I can't find one quote where he ever said such a thing. Maybe I am wrong. You are right though, change things too fast and it can lead to a very dangerous situation. But also keep this in mind, DCI is waaaaayyyyyyy behind the marching band activity when it comes to electronics and other bells and whistles. I think DCI held out for a long time. Bands have been using that stuff since the late 80s, and I realize DCI does not need to copy bands, but the fads and cultural fabric that is today's generation of students is bound to catch up at some point. There are a lot of kids marching these shows, and I think they probably like it--a lot. They should have a say too.

Jonathan

Good for Hop! I haven't liked everything the Cadets have ever done.... 2004 was just a mess.... but he basically called you guys out.

Drumcorps isn't for you. It's for 135 kids in each corps. If you choose to spend money to see them.....that's your problem. You are there to enjoy what they bring,....they aren't there to serve you.

I absolutely HATE drumcorps fans. BOO! You all suck

So, do you hate yourself? You are a fan, right??? :beer:

Yes, drum corps is for the kids, but empty stadiums don't raise funds for the corps, so you need to be careful and get right with who you are trying to alienate.

It is an activity that everyone can enjoy. The fans, the corps member, the support staff, the instructional staff.

Calm down please.

I agree with most of this. But I doubt that Hop and the Cadets chased many of the fans away. We have lost fans and corps for various reasons, most of which have nothing to do with show design or style or beliefs. And GH has never actually said that he doesn't mind if you walk out the door. I am pretty sure he regrets it if you do, but you are infering this from his remarks over the years. I can't find one quote where he ever said such a thing. Maybe I am wrong. You are right though, change things too fast and it can lead to a very dangerous situation. But also keep this in mind, DCI is waaaaayyyyyyy behind the marching band activity when it comes to electronics and other bells and whistles. I think DCI held out for a long time. Bands have been using that stuff since the late 80s, and I realize DCI does not need to copy bands, but the fads and cultural fabric that is today's generation of students is bound to catch up at some point. There are a lot of kids marching these shows, and I think they probably like it--a lot. They should have a say too.

Jonathan

I totally agree. DCI has been behind these trends, and it's better in the long run to try and keep up while maintaining the spirit of drum corps, which I don't think has been sacrificed as of yet.

Edited by WOOHOO

This is getting so old...same old, same old, wash rinse repeat.... :rock:

I think Hop's blog is just another Libral point of few. If you don't like what they are doing then the hate word goes out, all others are intolerant and not embracing diversity!

So now anyone who dislikes this years show is racist, homophobic, and a rightwinged close minded republican!

Sure that sounds over the top but isn't that what Mr. Hopkins is doing in his "Oh Woe is me and people don't like me/cadets post"

We all know how hard the kids work and what an awesome job they are doing. We appreciate that part of it, just doesn't make us haters. I don't like the product and but love the effort!

So I guess under Georges theory then that still makes me a hater, racist, homophobic and rightwinged, close minded republican!

Sarcasm intended!

But also keep this in mind, DCI is waaaaayyyyyyy behind the marching band activity when it comes to electronics and other bells and whistles. I think DCI held out for a long time. Bands have been using that stuff since the late 80s, and I realize DCI does not need to copy bands, but the fads and cultural fabric that is today's generation of students is bound to catch up at some point. There are a lot of kids marching these shows, and I think they probably like it--a lot. They should have a say too.

I'm not arguing against your point - in many ways I agree - but you really think one reason a band kid wouldn't consider DCI is because DCI didn't have electronics?

Mike

Yeah empty stadiums won't pay the bills blah blah blah....

Guess what, DCI will sell the seats whether we are there or not. There are more bandos coming to shows every year than there are diehards leaving (like they threaten to do every season) DCI isn't going anywhere...so I just rather have the complainers leave or shut up.

I stand by my opinion....DCI is an educational experience for the kids...we go to hear what they play. If it's not to our liking....i guess that's too bad, we'll have to find another hobby. If you disagree...well we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Guess what, DCI will sell the seats whether we are there or not. There are more bandos coming to shows every year than there are diehards leaving (like they threaten to do every season) DCI isn't going anywhere...so I just rather have the complainers leave or shut up.

Thing I always want to know is if a high percentage of the "bandos" are sticking around to follow DCI after they age out. If DCI has a constant cycle of fans staying for a few years and leaving forever that can't be a good sign for the future.

If this is true then DCI is truely following the MB world as not that many people follow HS bands after they or their kids graduate (from what I can tell).