New Book - Fahrenheit DCI

Funny how few words I had to change in this description of the book Fahrenheit 451 to make it appropriate to our times...

Fahrenheit DCI is a frightening vision of the future where firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn the directors and designers of drum corps shows that don’t comply with the “obvious and entertaining” laws. Fahrenheit’s vividly painted society holds up the appearance of entertainment as the highest goal--a place where traditional concepts are good, and creativity and new ideas are bad. The Fire Captain explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Bradbury's novel details the eternal war between censorship and freedom of thought and continues to be relevant today more than ever. In Bradbury's future, changes to traditional drum corps are illegal and happily so--citizens are too busy watching tapes of the same “ideal” shows over and over again to care about the loss of creativity. Our star begins the novel as a fireman who enforces the temperature of the title--that at which “creative” show designers/directors burn--but then transforms and tries to show his society the mistake of censorship and closed minded thinking.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how few words I had to change in this description of the book Fahrenheit 451 to make it appropriate to our times...

Fahrenheit DCI is a frightening vision of the future where firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn the directors and designers of drum corps shows that don’t comply with the “obvious and entertaining” laws. Fahrenheit’s vividly painted society holds up the appearance of entertainment as the highest goal--a place where traditional concepts are good, and creativity and new ideas are bad. The Fire Captain explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Bradbury's novel details the eternal war between censorship and freedom of thought and continues to be relevant today more than ever. In Bradbury's future, changes to traditional drum corps are illegal and happily so--citizens are too busy watching tapes of the same “ideal” shows over and over again to care about the loss of creativity. Our star begins the novel as a fireman who enforces the temperature of the title--that at which “creative” show designers/directors burn--but then transforms and tries to show his society the mistake of censorship and closed minded thinking.

I suppose it will be as fact based as the original!

...and another thinly veiled "uneducated rube" argument is borne.

True. Another plug for elitism where the general masses are too uneducated , crass, and ignorant to appreciate the sheer brilliance a guy making $50,000 a year designing a psychedelic Summer Drum Corps show for a group of 15-22 year olders. Gimme a break..... Look, some of the Cadets bashing is way over the top. But healthy criticism where some people ( some with multiple degrees ) think the show is ridiculous is what freedom of speech is all about too.

Edited by X DM

I don't think Cadets bashers are uneducated nor are Cadets lovers are elitist. I just think some people are set in their ways and closed minded when it comes to variety...change...and "something different"

If all 23 Div 1 corps were doing the same thing as Cadets, I'd be ###### off....but what's the hurt in ONE corps doing their own thing?

Edited by DCImonkey

I don't think Cadets bashers are uneducated nor are Cadets lovers are elitist. I just think some people are set in their ways and closed minded when it comes to variety...change...and "something different"

If all 23 Div 1 corps were doing the same thing as Cadets, I'd be ###### off....but what's the hurt in ONE corps doing their own thing?

You hit the nail on the head. The 2006 Cadets show is not my cup of tea ( pardon the pun ). But there are Corps out there this year, whose tastes are more in line with mine. I think the Cadets have every right to think outside the box ( again, no pun intended). Conversely, if people dislike the Cadets this year, they have every right to express that displeasure and not be silenced. I think most of us can separate legitimate criticism from those agenda driven souls who would be critical of the Cadets this year no matter what they did on the field. That said, I sincerely hope the Cadets don't revisit this theme again in my lifetime.

Right, because not liking singing and talking in a drum corps show means that we don't ever want to see any new ideas or creativity in drum corps ever agian. You hit the nail on the head.

<**>

I think most of us can separate legitimate criticism from those agenda driven souls who would be critical of the Cadets this year no matter what they did on the field. <SNIP>

You mean the folks that said....

2000 - Bb's are weaker, why are they doing a Disney show

2001 - This show is about nothing...where are the rifles, what's with the curvy things?

2002 - PANDERING PANDERING, Pledge...9/11...firetrucks...

2003 - Why are they playing SCV and Scouts tunes? Why aren't they penalized for starting the show during warmup?

2004 - OMG THEY HAVE A BATON TWIRLER

2005 2006 - Self explanatory

I think I know those people. :)

Right, because not liking singing and talking in a drum corps show means that we don't ever want to see any new ideas or creativity in drum corps ever agian. You hit the nail on the head.

<**>

Where's the Blue Stars thread? How about a Crossmen thread? What about the newly sainted Bluecoats from last year who had <gasp> drumspeak? I hardly hear a peep.