Bluecoats using steel drums?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't notice that? They're set up right on the 50!

Stef

Like I've said in my reviews, I was pretty high up in the upper deck and tbh, I generally wasn't paying attention to anybody's pit that night.

It was hard to see even from the lower deck in Indy. I know, cause I tried. I thought the music of it was easy to hear, though if you're high in the upper deck even brass and battery sound exactly the same so I can see why it would be hard to pick out a steel drum part.

I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed, but this is why I'm a fan of amplification. Not only does it allow percussion arrangers to introduce new instruments and effects that can really add to a show, it allows the musicians to actually use correct techniques and still be able to be heard.

Am I a fan of amped voice? Not yet, I'm not, but I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater when drum corps percussionists will be able to play with techniques that they can apply to other, "more legit" applications in the musical realm.

what a crock. SCV's front used pans in 83 and 84, Pioneer used them in 91 and 92, VK used them in the 80's and in 95...with no amplification and they projected well.

Didn't you read the other posts after that? Every time steel drums were used unamped they were knocked out of tune frequently and completely destroyed by the end of the season. There's a reason they've been so seldom used since the 80s.

Steel drums are REALLY EXPENSIVE! There's no need to abuse them if it's not necessary.

Yeah, the steel drums are great :)

Didn't you read the other posts after that? Every time steel drums were used unamped they were knocked out of tune frequently and completely destroyed by the end of the season. There's a reason they've been so seldom used since the 80s.

Steel drums are REALLY EXPENSIVE! There's no need to abuse them if it's not necessary.

George Tuthill used them with Hawthorne circa 1975 and ditched them because of the tuning problems.