To all members of the 2006 Cadets

This is a good question - how many kids march Cadets when they realy wanted Devils or SCV but the plane fares on top of dues etc were too much? How many march Devils wanting Cadets - same reason? I'm not sure it's always 100% belief in the program (wherever it is) that motivates kids to march with a particular corps.

I think it's much closer to 100% than you think.. would you expect an FSU kid who happens to live closer to a rival university to just go there, instead, because it's closer to home? I don't think it works that way.. I think that kid would rather spend two years at Community College, save their money and finish college at the school of their choice.

With that in mind, I'm gonna say drum corps follows this same kind of "rule".. if a kid these days is good enough to make the line at the corps he or she has their heart set on.. they won't often take "second best" -- especially if it's a "rival" -- they'll not march before they'll march in another uniform.

There are exceptions to every rule, but for this one, I think, exceptions are few and far between.

Stef

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good question - how many kids march Cadets when they realy wanted Devils or SCV but the plane fares on top of dues etc were too much? How many march Devils wanting Cadets - same reason? I'm not sure it's always 100% belief in the program (wherever it is) that motivates kids to march with a particular corps. There are a whole raft of reasons but econonics has to be one of them. If you are wanting to teach a year with Cadets looks #### good on the resume.

That would be a hard one to determine. We had a guy work with the band I teach in the late 90's...he was born and raised in NJ...yet had zero desire to march in The Cadets....for him personally marching with the BD was his best fit...so he did. Just one anecdotal story, of course.

It's a shame people waste more time by trying to condemn things than actually spending time searching for things they like.

No worries :)

Interesting what you say about the numbers entering Cadets not knowing corps. The two kids I know in Cadets came home from a camp saying there were virtually no kids that came up through the div 2-3 ranks at camp - most or all the rookies were from band programs. Is this true?

I'm not going to give a firm YES, but could could bet on it. Coming from Texas, many of the HS bands are pretty amazing. HS marching band programs are improving so much that it hasn't really become a necessity to march somewhere else in order to make on of the upper corps.

Also, at least with The Cadets hornline, I've always viewed the auditions to be HEAVILY based on playing. It seems like a concept of if you're talented on your instrument then you have the work ethic and talent to be able to march. It also SEEMS to me like it's more of a "if the students can play, than The Cadets can teach them how to march" mentality. There might be one or two exceptions to that, but for the most part you can easily rely on a talented trumpet player to be able to handle himself on the football field.

For my case, I was almost cut for marching my first year (which was the year people talk about as being most strict on marching auditions). I was one of the strongest players but my HS marching band experience in no way prepared me for Cadets. I knew basics, but nothing like the attention to detail required. So like most of the newcomers I wanted to march really bad. Lucky for me the drum major was only 30 minutes away and we worked a couple hours a week mainly to get comfortable with what I was asked to do. Anyways, as long as the member can play and has the drive to do Cadets, they'll be able to perform with The Cadets no problem.

Also, another thing I love about The Cadets is their willingness to help each other. You can always find vets helping rookies with marching before and after rehearsal every day. I've talked with many friends from other corps and I know it's not like this everywhere.

I think it's much closer to 100% than you think.. would you expect an FSU kid who happens to live closer to a rival university to just go there, instead, because it's closer to home? I don't think it works that way.. I think that kid would rather spend two years at Community College, save their money and finish college at the school of their choice.

With that in mind, I'm gonna say drum corps follows this same kind of "rule".. if a kid these days is good enough to make the line at the corps he or she has their heart set on.. they won't often take "second best" -- especially if it's a "rival" -- they'll not march before they'll march in another uniform.

There are exceptions to every rule, but for this one, I think, exceptions are few and far between.

Stef

I get the analogy but it's not like the college kid is flying home and back every month during the winter and every second week starting May or so. I live in Canada and if I was of age and had the talent I'd go to SCV if I had the money for the travel. Chances are I wouldn't, so I'd probably go to Toledo as it's closer (read cheaper). Maybe kids now have more money than I did (do.....)

Jim

I'm not going to give a firm YES, but could could bet on it. Coming from Texas, many of the HS bands are pretty amazing. HS marching band programs are improving so much that it hasn't really become a necessity to march somewhere else in order to make on of the upper corps.

Interesting, thanks. Is this true for a lot of the upper level corps now? I'm sure kids that come up through the Div 2-3 corps could get in if they have the talent - I'm not starting a conspiracy thread here.

Interesting, thanks. Is this true for a lot of the upper level corps now? I'm sure kids that come up through the Div 2-3 corps could get in if they have the talent - I'm not starting a conspiracy thread here.

while I don't think it necessarily is or isn't II/III corps they come from (at least not directly), I do notice a lot of kids with experience in other drum corps (at all levels) in the Cavaliers.

Are you kidding me?

And how many of those members are or will be music majors? Maybe 50. You think the other 2/3 are looking for 3 months of touring with The Cadets for their resume when they could be taking interships instead?

Just going by what I heard, dude

Apparently some of your snare drummers didn't like the drum speak last year, and I heard some things.

Heck, I heard your current drum major a few days ago on his interview regarding the show. He seemed really into it.

What motivated you to commute from TX to NJ/PA nearly every month for 5 years?

Why didn't you drive down I-35 a couple hours and join Revolution?

You joined the Cadets because they were the Cadets.

Edited by siuehist

G...we're not talking about comments that say "I don't like the naration" or the like, we are talking about sweeping shots at any corps that says malicious things like "the show is horrible", "I hated the show", or "it's the worst I've ever seen".

Keep in mind, while you paint a picture that the members are all mature young adults, you do have to realize that even the so called "adults" that use this forum get their panties in a wad over critical words from other disrespectful adults. Why would you expect everyone in the Cadets to be above getting offended? Sure, some will indeed shrug it off, while I'm sure that some others will indeed find many comments to be disheartening. I never said they would "crumble to the ground" because of criticism they might read, either. That's extreme. But words and opinions can hurt. No need to kick someone's face in. Sure, truth is important, but only when it is tempered with a little respect for those directly affected.

Steve,

What happens when the words "horrible"and "terrible" or phrases like "I hated the show" or "Worst I've ever seen" are actually what the poster feels ?? Yes there is tact and discression, but truth is more important, no ? With so many people feeling so many negative emotions about this show, do you really think its never going to get to the performers ? Do you(we) really think nobody in the corps feels this way ?? Respect in truth is the kind rarely seen. To get it is actually an honor these days. I said in another post, A kid fresh off the field sees their family and asks "how did I do" ? To which the mother, grandma, and brother respond: "Good", "Great", "Wonderful" ..Thats more disrespectful than "Wow, the drill was awesome, and the brass was outstanding, but that singing was terrible, and those characters? Worst I ve ever seen. Who designed that ?? I hope they have fun playing them becuase they dont come across too well in my opinion. I cant believe you guys march so fast, that takes such talent. "

Thats real, that is respectful, and that is what the person should hear. the truth.

And bottom line, as you know, this is a discussion group where opinions, views, and thoughts are going to look extreme, because they are words, and we take what ever meaning we percieve them to be, its human nature.

Words and opinions can hurt, but to the other extreme, certain performances, or aspects of performance can evoke similar emotions in viewers and supporters. THe views must be heard.

~G~

Just going by what I heard, dude

Apparently some of your snare drummers didn't like the drum speak last year, and I heard some things.

Heck, I heard your current drum major a few days ago on his interview regarding the show. He seemed really into it.

and btw...I marched the Cavaliers in 94. I was 16-17, and I was clueless.

All I heard that summer was that BD was the 2nd coming of Christ, and people grumbling about our inaccessable show, our bare-chested guard members, kabouki masks, and wooden poles.

Sorry, I wasn't crying off in a corner with my feelings hurt, and the Cadets this summer aren't either, even though their designers have sold them AND US down the river.

Edited by siuehist