The way we used to eat

Ya, it really sucks when you're old and you can't use the can in the back of the bus to take a crap .....

What a thoroughly delightful thread this has become...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched both the Knights and Phantom. We had great cooks in both corps who always managed to keep us well fed.

I do remember one particular incident in '86 that still brings a smile to my face. I was marching Phantom and we had just finished the parade in Geneseo, Il. For those of you that don't know, the parade always ended at the High School at around lunch time. Well the Cavaliers had just gotten a new food truck and were showing it off in high style. As we approached the school we could all see the food crew feverishly working a group of grills behind the food truck as the smells of ribs and baked potatoes wafted over us all. The Cavs of course were all walking around with big grins on their faces. Well, after changing out of our uniforms we went back out to the back of the school expecting to be eating suntanned bologna and cheese only to find the Cavies eating PBJ sandwiches. Guess who got the ribs and fixin's...SWEET! I love that story! ^0^

I marched both the Knights and Phantom. We had great cooks in both corps who always managed to keep us well fed.

I do remember one particular incident in '86 that still brings a smile to my face. I was marching Phantom and we had just finished the parade in Geneseo, Il. For those of you that don't know, the parade always ended at the High School at around lunch time. Well the Cavaliers had just gotten a new food truck and were showing it off in high style. As we approached the school we could all see the food crew feverishly working a group of grills behind the food truck as the smells of ribs and baked potatoes wafted over us all. The Cavs of course were all walking around with big grins on their faces. Well, after changing out of our uniforms we went back out to the back of the school expecting to be eating suntanned bologna and cheese only to find the Cavies eating PBJ sandwiches. Guess who got the ribs and fixin's...SWEET! I love that story! ^0^

Not that I've toured as much as most of you but I don't remember seeing ribs ever. That's a lot of grill space taken up for relatively little meat to feed around 150 or so folks.

Oh man but I know what I want to throw on the barbeque when I get home tonight now..... b**bs

count us in on the chuck wagon. One of our alumnus' Dads owned a trucking company. We had electric hoists on the equipment truck for hauling in the bells, kettles, etc.

And our chuck wagon had a fold down ramp and open side so's you could grab a plate and go through the lunch line.

In 1982 I marched with a corps that did not have real strong fiscal responsibility. If you were one of the last people in the food line for a meal, you didnt eat! This happened on a regular basis most of the tour. It got so bad that when my parents met the corps on the road they went out to the grocery store and bought a lot of food for the corps. Not sure how much they spent, but I know it was a lot of money for two teachers.

We lived on Micky D's, HoJo's and Bologna sandwich's. Its amazing we lived through it.

Now, now, Mike. How could you forget that when the schools let us use their Kitchen that Gail would make his famous Spaghetti? I also remember a long row of 6 to 8 toasters lining the hallways in the mornings for toast to go along with that one cup of cereal, one cup of milk, one cup of OJ. Thank God they were the "Big" cups. Then there were the nights that we actually got KFC! Chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. Ahhhh Heaven. And not only did we get PBJ and Bologna for lunch, but Gail would make a big batch of Tuna with Mayo and add a whole can of beer to it. Heh, no wonder we did so well back then :sshh:. What was really fun was the ride through the Desert just at lunch time. When the sandwiches were served, the dry air (A/C was ALWAYS out), would suck out the moisture from the bread faster than you could eat it! Yum, crunchy bread, crunchy chips and crunchy (4 only) oreo cookies. Man, those were the days.

I remember KFC once. I remember being brought McDonalds once when we were in Swampscott and we were sleeping in a basement of some sort. I do remember the toaster though and there were toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup sometimes ... but a long line. Gail usually only made spaghetti once per tour and there were always spaghetti sauce sandwiches the next day on the bus (Maggie you are so right on about the bread drying out before the sandwich reached the eater). There was pretty much an unlimited supply of PB&J sandwiches but I remember we only got to have one tuna sandwich. I loved getting dropped off at restaurants and greasy spoons because I could buy an unlimited amount of liquid (coke, kool aid, iced tea, whatever) which was a lot harder to get than food was. You guys both have to remember Westchester -- we were there like four days with only one 8 oz cup of kool aid at each meal -- too much water and very little sugar -- God could someone go to a store? And we made yardlines with bags of flour and marched 4-count turns in a block literally for hours -- heel, toe, heel, toe.

I especially loved Bishops Restaurant in Davenport, Iowa. Fresh fruit baby! And ultraviolet toilet seats. B)

I never really starved but I remember being a lean, mean, marching machine by the time we'd get to DCI.

OK, here's a fast food story...

We descended on a lone burger king in true locust fashion. Me and Pierre were slow getting off the bus and lines were already out the door as usual. But, there were only a few cars at the drive thru. We had nothing to lose and if they kicked us out of there, we would be at the end of the line either way. So, we stood in line behind the cars. A few more cars pulled up behind us and we just walked along as the line moved forward, carrying our frisbees which doubled as dinner plates (and steering wheels in this case). When we finally got to the window, ahead of most of the corps, the look on the server's face was priceless. She yells, "they're everywhere! AAAAHHHHHH!!!" We all had a laugh and she took our order. Now they have signs at drive thrus that say no walk-ups. ^0^

We did the same thing!! ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :P :P however there were no cars in line, and there was a tube, like they used to have at gas stations to take your order, we had to jump and jump and jump for the person to come on and take our order-alot of lean muscle, but not much weight!

The whole corps did an eyes left when we mimed driving right up to the window. Sylvester was involved in that one. It was maybe 5 of us that thought it was the greatest idea e-v-a!!

I remember KFC once. I remember being brought McDonalds once when we were in Swampscott and we were sleeping in a basement of some sort. I do remember the toaster though and there were toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup sometimes ... but a long line. Gail usually only made spaghetti once per tour and there were always spaghetti sauce sandwiches the next day on the bus (Maggie you are so right on about the bread drying out before the sandwich reached the eater). There was pretty much an unlimited supply of PB&J sandwiches but I remember we only got to have one tuna sandwich. I loved getting dropped off at restaurants and greasy spoons because I could buy an unlimited amount of liquid (coke, kool aid, iced tea, whatever) which was a lot harder to get than food was. You guys both have to remember Westchester -- we were there like four days with only one 8 oz cup of kool aid at each meal -- too much water and very little sugar -- God could someone go to a store? And we made yardlines with bags of flour and marched 4-count turns in a block literally for hours -- heel, toe, heel, toe.

I especially loved Bishops Restaurant in Davenport, Iowa. Fresh fruit baby! And ultraviolet toilet seats. B)

I never really starved but I remember being a lean, mean, marching machine by the time we'd get to DCI.

That's what I'm talking about! And yes, I remember Westchester and Davenport. How about using the bathrooms on the buses for food storage...remember that? And when Gail made that spaghetti, oh my lawdy lawdy, we was like the walking dead when it came time for dinner....staring eyes, hobbling towards the line with plates extended. I remember the way he used to soup it up too....

By the By, it was great seeing you again Jo Jo....you look friggn' great. I knew it was you from across the field.