The way we used to eat

Tommy Brennan on the left and Sue LaBreck on the right.

That's Tom Ray from the snareline, not Tommy Brennan.

:)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rick, I remember the party that picture came from. I drove both Tommy (RIP) and Sue home that night. It was the blind leading the blind to say the least.

Hi! It was a great party.

You made me do a double-take there, because I just got an email from Tom. That's Tom Ray, btw.

Cheers,

Hi! It was a great party.

You made me do a double-take there, because I just got an email from Tom. That's Tom Ray, btw.

Cheers,

hmmm, i guess they both looked alike because i swear that's tommy. well this i know, i did drive tommy home that night. i was the most sober of the three of us and that's not saying much. was that a halloween party or a hawaiian party??

What's for lunch? Grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

What's for dinner? Grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Snack? Grilled cheese sandwiches, OR peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!!!

The best year was 1983, when a generous citizen donated huge boxes of the breakfast cereal "Halfsies." We had Halfsies with milk for breakfast, Halfsies as a side for lunch, and some kind of Halfsie casserole for dinner almost every day! At our end-of-year banquet, the corps raffled-off huge left-over boxes of Halfies! Needless to say, I ate any other kind of cereal after 1983. It was also fun to watch the flies skate around on the giant block-o-butter they used to put out for us.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02, '04-'05

Bridgemen, '06

This is an interesting conversation which dovetails nicely with the digression in the Cap Reg thread about whether cook trucks are necessary or not. As one who came from before the cook truck era of course I say no. And considering all the warm rememberances from others about the tour "meals" I'd say a fair number of people feel the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

On tour, the food was pretty good. The weeks leading to tour were a different story.

For some reason, Regiment's housing committee crammed me, another contra by the name King Dong, and a sop named Cobra into this small 2 bedroom frame house that was occupied by a woman and her two sons.

There was almost NO food in the house. The one time I actually ate something at the house, I ended up with food poisoning and missed Picnic In The Park. Thanks to the fact that there was a Beef a Roo in walking distance, me, King Dong, and Cobra were able to pool resources together and survive.

During tour, we ate well. The corps had a state of the art kitchen truck and we ate everything from brats to steak. And to drink, we had cold water, Red, Purple, and Green to drink. There was always fruit and PB&J.

This is an interesting conversation which dovetails nicely with the digression in the Cap Reg thread about whether cook trucks are necessary or not. As one who came from before the cook truck era of course I say no. And considering all the warm rememberances from others about the tour "meals" I'd say a fair number of people feel the same way.

Not in today's touring corps they don't. I can't speak for the quality of food in every corps (although mostly it's pretty OK, I think, is was at Dutch) the use of a cook truck is not an option when you are touring in the modern sense of the word.

But we went over all that in the Cap Reg thread.

Not in today's touring corps they don't. I can't speak for the quality of food in every corps (although mostly it's pretty OK, I think, is was at Dutch) the use of a cook truck is not an option when you are touring in the modern sense of the word.

But we went over all that in the Cap Reg thread.

Couldn't agree more. You can make sure the kids are getting a balanced diet. I would think teaching staffs greatly appreciate today's food programs because, if run correctly, they make for more efficient rehearsal time. Plus with convection ovens, you can get a lot accomplished in a relatively short time.