The way we used to eat

Interesting stories. Can't say I can relate to much for both corps I marched with fed pretty well.

Zingali and Mark would tell us food stories and such about their years in Lancers and Garfield. Our large group of Bridgemen staff and members in 85' told us plenty of 'popcorn dinner' stories as well. They never let us forget that we were somewhat spoiled food-wise in Bloomington, and we honestly didn't eat great until our Chuck Truck replaced the chuck wagon in 87'. Before that we would hit a Burger Death here and there. Though the corps did the buying.

Zingali and Mark were still 'borrowers' with us as well. They could be seen regularly going through the gym with their "ya goin' ta wear that?". Or picture a naked Sylvester roaming the shower area smelling everyone's shampoo to find what he wanted. "Anybody got a towel?". :worthy:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or picture a naked Sylvester roaming the shower area smelling everyone's shampoo to find what he wanted. "Anybody got a towel?". :worthy:

Picture it.... I lived it. (ask Sully).....Gotta love him :P

UGH, a devil dog....the food was humerous wasn't it? And it wasn't like Zingali could afford to lose more weight or eyebrows, he wore my clothes....as did Bob Stuart.....I think we were all 101.... :worthy:

Oh, yes, you were one of them. Big trouble makers! Also all 3 of us were "The Mountaineers" but of course - Casa Bonita my ###.....I remember getting to as high as we were going and I believe you said "now I know what John Denver meant by Rocky Mountain High". Were you in the 2nd wave coming down the mountain while we waited in the street? We thought you were goners!

Lynn C. was the other girl in the drive thru, I'd do it again in a minute!! I don't know why, but I could not stop laughing....it was always the same troublemakers wasn't it? George B. would shudder if he saw 2 or more of us congregating. :worthy:

I'm upset, when we got home from tour in 78 I blew up 2 pictures for all of the "Mountaineers" - I handed them out, then at Darla's wake (RIP), they had that picture up.....and I remembered that I don't remember where mine are, they're gone...please tell me you have them or even one so I can scan it??????

When did we get a piece of cheese from Rich....? (name) that horn instructor who I had to fight off with rifle in hand. I think that was 1978 as well. Great fun!

I know this looks like a PM :worthy::worthy: :OT: At least I rat myself out....moderate thyself.... ^0^

Nancy,

Yes I was in the second group down the mountain along with Marc Sylvester, Jack Cash, and Dave Morgan (now theres a crew).

I looked for my mountaineers picture after I saw it at Darlene's wake and I cannot find it. I have one more box of stuff to check from when I moved in 2001. I too would love a copy of

it.

Rich Cola was the brass guy feeding us cheese.

Remeber when they would make us cheese sandwiches and leave them in the sun so by the time we got them it looked like mayonaisse....Yum Yum....and don't forget the "bug" juice b**bs

Edited by john2780

I used to keep a jar of peanut butter hidden away in my duffel bag because I hated tuna fish.

Sometimes there wouldn't be any bread left after the staff made sandwiches, so I'd just eat PB with a spoon. It DID help make the 8 hours between rest stops a little easier.

Avant Garde had a decent food service, considering they had even less money than 27th to buy supplies. In 1981, Dan Panessa (former Garfield DM) was on drill staff. He was also a chef. A couple of times he and I made a supermarket run and got up really early and made pancakes and sausage for the corps.

Dan was a character. He had lost a ton of weight on the Atkins diet and only ate carbohydrates on Sunday. Imagine being on tour and eating no bread!! He used to go to Mickey D's and order Quarter Pounders without the roll, and drive the employees crazy!

Me neither..I went on the "Lancer diet" and lost a lot of weight. People were amazed at how much weight I lost during that time, it was the skinniest I ever was. Our menu's consisted of alot of dry cereal, Peanut butter and jelly, tuna fish and if we were lucky we'd get a hot meal which was "ravioli"...the ladies would tell us "Eat your pasta it'll build your stamina"..lol. And this was in the mid 80's..:).

I remember hearing how you guys were starving in 1984. We felt badly for you guys and I think we even shared a meal with you during the second tour. Pride of Cincinnati fed us fairly consistently although we were technically responsible for 1 meal a day. One of the guard members worked at a McDonalds the months before we left for tour and MickeyD's was passing out scratch off cards for a Summer Olympics promo... you'd scratch your card and certain events were listed. If the US won a medal in that event, you won free food-- Big Mac for Gold, Fries for a silver, and small Coke for bronze. Keep in mind, 1984 was the year the Soviets boycotted the LA Olympics so the US won ALOT of medals that summer and McD's lost their shirt in free food. Lucky for the us because the former McDonald's employee slash guard member swiped HUNDREDS of these scratch-offs and we ate Big Macs and fries until we were nauseated!

Nancy,

Yes I was in the second group down the mountain along with Marc Sylvester, Jack Cash, and Dave Morgan (now theres a crew).

I looked for my mountaineers picture after I saw it at Darlene's wake and I cannot find it. I have one more box of stuff to check from when I moved in 2001. I too would love a copy of

it.

Rich Cola was the brass guy feeding us cheese.

Remeber when they would make us cheese sandwiches and leave them in the sun so by the time we got them it looked like mayonaisse....Yum Yum....and don't forget the "bug" juice b**bs

Oh JohnJohn you must find them. I'll ask St. Anthony. I have so many pictures of Darlene and the rest of the crew, but there was something so very special about that night. The grins in those pictures were not staged, no one had to say "cheese", we were truly happy that night, grinning ear to ear. It didn't matter we were 9th going into finals. It was too late to worry and we were too happy for that experience on that mountain for that to ruin it!

I remember that none of us realizing that we had cactus needles 4 inches long everywhere. We thought you were gone forever until we saw those bouncing flashlights way up in the sky. I'll never forget that experience! It was so beautiful there at what was it called, Dead Mans Thumb or something?

Anyway, I asked if the corps could stay an extra day or 3 or 4 just to be there all together, but it was not to be!

It was are rare occasion when we got fed in St. Joes,only remember once,1967 state legion after beating the Bronx Kingsmen.

Some corps actually paid for food at restaurants????

Blue Rock 1966 - 1974

Oh don't think for a second that the dixie cup of ceral was free..... ^0^

Oh don't think for a second that the dixie cup of ceral was free..... ^0^

Wow, you got a FULL Dixie Cup for yourself. We had to share ours with three other people b**bs